• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Ancient Confession Found: 'We Invented Jesus Christ'"

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Pretty much my first come to mind thoughts on the issue.

Its not that I find it impossible, its that I find reasonable evidence to be extremely unlikely.

I'd read it, to be honest. l am almost 100% sure I'd spend the whole time scoffing and mutterer under my breath, but Rome and religion are both topics of interest.

However, I wouldn't spend a cent supporting the sort of sensationalism suspect this to be. Would feel like I was feeding the beast.

garrydons

Shalom. Jesus or more correctly Yeshua was a fictional correcter according to Atwill? then the best thing he should do is to deface from history books the writings of the first century historian like Josephus, Tacitus, etc. because these historians wrote about Yeshua. The bible is not the only book that tells about the Yeshua but others books as well. I encourage Atwill to have a deeper research on the subject.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Shalom. Jesus or more correctly Yeshua was a fictional correcter according to Atwill? then the best thing he should do is to deface from history books the writings of the first century historian like Josephus, Tacitus, etc. because these historians wrote about Yeshua. The bible is not the only book that tells about the Yeshua but others books as well. I encourage Atwill to have a deeper research on the subject.
If you were to read further than the headlines, you'd have seen that it's from the way Josephus wrote that he derives this (now, how to put it) "headline-grabbing" thesis, in that if he were right it would mean Josephus was instrumental in writing the propaganda.

..but I have to admit I find his arguments more than a little bit bizarre.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'm going to write one about Jesus and Lincoln teaming up to hunt vampires.

An historical novel.

You've got no experience! You need to write from experience! :yes:

You've never battered a vampire in yer life. :no:
That is 'battered' as in beaten up, rather than cooked in a breadcrumb sauce, like 'fish-n-chips'. (Oh Gawd, this is difficult...:facepalm:).

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
"Biblical scholars will be appearing at the 'Covert Messiah' Conference at Conway Hall in London on the 19th of October to present this controversial discovery to the British public.

American Biblical scholar Joseph Atwill will be appearing before the British public for the first time in London on the 19th of October to present a controversial new discovery: ancient confessions recently uncovered now prove, according to Atwill, that the New Testament was written by first-century Roman aristocrats and that they fabricated the entire story of Jesus Christ.
gI_115648_CM_red_1000.jpg

Atwill asserts that Christianity did not really begin as a religion, but a sophisticated government project, a kind of propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of the Roman Empire.

Was Jesus based on a real person from history? "The short answer is no," Atwill insists, "in fact he may be the only fictional character in literature whose entire life story can be traced to other sources. Once those sources are all laid bare, there's simply nothing left."

SOURCE and a lot more

Right or wrong, I don't see it changing many minds.

Meh.

Sounds as credible as the Illuminati controlling the world media, the world bring run by lizard people, or world leaders working together so seamlessly to bring in war to establish a New World Order. :rolleyes:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'd read it, to be honest. l am almost 100% sure I'd spend the whole time scoffing and mutterer under my breath, but Rome and religion are both topics of interest.

However, I wouldn't spend a cent supporting the sort of sensationalism suspect this to be. Would feel like I was feeding the beast.

So you're not flying to London next week, clutching a £25 entry ticket to the meeting? :D

AmbiguousGuy

You've got no experience! You need to write from experience! :yes:

You've never battered a vampire in yer life. :no:

Sir, you happen to be ADDRESSING a vampire!

Little known fact: All vampire books are written by vampires. They are tragedies -- the vampire always gets staked in the end.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I came into this thread expecting an article from The Onion.

Then I saw that there are people who seriously are proposing this.

I am disappoint.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Sir, you happen to be ADDRESSING a vampire!

Little known fact: All vampire books are written by vampires. They are tragedies -- the vampire always gets staked in the end.

Oh yeah? So how come you ain't been dragged into the sunlight yet....? Heh?
How can vampires write, anyway? Next you'll be telling me that they made all those Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee films. And don't try telling me that either of them was your Daddy or anything. You can't con me....:no:

Shermana

Heretic
Did he address the little basic issue that the Romans persecuted the early Christians in his last book? Or was that all part of their master plan to toughen them up or something?

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Did he address the little basic issue that the Romans persecuted the early Christians in his last book? Or was that all part of their master plan to toughen them up or something?

I admit that I haven't read through this entire thread, but where is this "Ancient Confession Found". I agree that "Jesus" was most likely a creation of someone, the prophet "Joshua" that this "Jesus" figure was based on was most likely not.

Shermana

Heretic
I admit that I haven't read through this entire thread, but where is this "Ancient Confession Found". I agree that "Jesus" was most likely a creation of someone, the prophet "Joshua" that this "Jesus" figure was based on was most likely not.

You don't even think some figure named Jesus existed who went around teaching gaining converts, regardless of the Miraculous stories attributed to him? Quite a fringe position even among secular scholars.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In light of what people are willing to pay to hear these days, I have decided to come out with a book testifying to the astonishing fact that I myself invented Jesus Christ in 1958 -- a year after I was born. I was a precocious child, you see, and he was my imaginary playmate. But even I had no idea at the time how popular my invention would become. Astonishing, but true. Every word of it. Now pay me.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Meh.

Sounds as credible as the Illuminati controlling the world media, the world bring run by lizard people, or world leaders working together so seamlessly to bring in war to establish a New World Order. :rolleyes:

If by illuminati, you mean a small group of about 6 companies that dominate the extremely large majority of American media, yeah that's crazy. ;)
Media conglomerate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lizard people not so much.

As far as the world war thing, seamlessly no, using a world war as the means to institute said New World Order, probably not. Desire to create a one world order, most definitely. The question you have to ask yourself is, "who leads the world"?

You don't even think some figure named Jesus existed who went around teaching gaining converts, regardless of the Miraculous stories attributed to him? Quite a fringe position even among secular scholars.

Not a man named Jesus. A prophet that we would call Joshua in todays times, that did the things that you said, I most definitely think he existed.