• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Ozone Layer hole over the South Pole as large as North America

wellwisher

Fears over Antarctic sea ice as yearly ozone layer hole forms ‘very early’.

The ozone hole is usually smaller during El Niño years, but modelling by Jucker and collaborators, including Chris Lucas of the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, has suggested it will be larger than usual in 2023, due to long-lasting atmospheric changes after the undersea Tonga volcano explosion in January last year.

The current ozone hole, over Antarctica, is now the size of North America. This observation shows how natural earth affects can have huge affects on the atmosphere, all the way to the ozone layer. This has been erroneously attributed to manmade CO2 and chlorinated gases.

Do you remember how the hole in the ozone layer a few decades ago was blamed on freon type gases, which we now is known to be connected to the El Niño cycle and now to a huge underwater volcano that alter El Niño. The climate events we are seeing around the world can be traced to that volcano under the South Pacific Ocean, which also has an impact on the El Niño cycle, which has been affecting climate since 1600's, at least.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm sure you don't imply that because there are
natural causes for things, that this means there
are no human induced effects also acting.

wellwisher

I'm sure you don't imply that because there are
natural causes for things, that this means there
are no human induced effects also acting.
There is logic for the manmade affects. However, because there are some manmade affects, many think we can ignore natural, and blame everything on manmade; factor out with averages. I like to have all the variables and not just what can be used to control a narrative for regulatory fear mongering. We cannot regulate volcano.

How many climate events, this summer, has fake news 100% blamed on manmade climate change? I would say all of them. The boneheads are trying to fear monger. I would prefer fake news also talk about the giant volcano under the South Pacific Ocean that is now impacting a large climate steering affect called, El Niño. On has to dig to find this out since fake news wick not report it and talk about it.

I am looking for balance, but since the other side is 100% gaming toward manmade, I have to negotiate 75% natural as an opening offer. You guys are not budging, since any common sense doubt, is detrimental to the scam.

El Niño is a large pool of warm water, while underwater volcanoes give off heat, magna and gases. Volcanoes tend to vent in cycles, with catastrophic events, in longer term cycles. El Niño is also cyclic with its current cycle speeding due to this catastrophic underwater volcano event in the same ocean. This has nothing to do with fossil fuel and green energy, but this is why this summer has been unique.

The science of how the inner earth, surface and atmosphere are all integrated, is weak. New data is shedding light, such as lots of water in the upper mantle connected to minerals; mineral-water phase. The iron core of the earth spins faster than the surface. This is slow by human time, but fast by geological time; crust movement.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
How many climate events, this summer, has fake news 100% blamed on manmade climate change? I would say all of them. The boneheads are trying to fear monger. I would prefer fake news also talk about the giant volcano under the South Pacific Ocean that is now impacting a large climate steering affect called, El Niño. On has to dig to find this out since fake news wick not report it and talk about it.
Climate scientists take all of that into consideration.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is logic for the manmade affects. However, because there are some manmade affects, many think we can ignore natural, and blame everything on manmade; factor out with averages. I like to have all the variables and not just what can be used to control a narrative for regulatory fear mongering. We cannot regulate volcano.

I am looking for balance, but since the other side is 100% gaming toward manmade, I have to negotiate 75% natural as an opening offer. You guys are not budging, since any common sense doubt, is detrimental to the scam.

El Niño is a large pool of warm water, while underwater volcanoes give off heat, magna and gases. Volcanoes tend to vent in cycles, with catastrophic events, in longer term cycles. El Niño is also cyclic with its current cycle speeding due to this catastrophic underwater volcano event in the same ocean. This has nothing to do with fossil fuel and green energy, but this is why this summer has been unique.

The science of how the inner earth, surface and atmosphere are all integrated, is weak. New data is shedding light, such as lots of water in the upper mantle connected to minerals; mineral-water phase. The iron core of the earth spins faster than the surface. This is slow by human time, but fast by geological time; crust movement.
Early on here on RF, I ran afoul of the Global Warming
Clergy by questioning the inadequate consideration of
the effects of natural causes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Global Warming Clergy" is frubal worthy. :)
The term was inspired by oft heard claims that
Al Gore was so far ahead of the scientific
community. Really? His college grades were
in the same ballpark as the much derided Dubya.
(Not even a science curriculum.)
Whence came Gore's expertise that exceeded
climate scientists? He was their prophet.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The term was inspired by oft heard claims that
Al Gore was so far ahead of the scientific
community. Really? His college grades were
in the same ballpark as the much derided Dubya.
(Not even a science curriculum.)
Whence came Gore's expertise that exceeded
climate scientists? He was their prophet.
I still remember not hearing a word about climate change from our provincial government here in LotusLand, until one day Al Gore came to town and wowed the politicians present. From that day forward, all the Gordon Campbell government talked about was climate change. It was literally a 180 turnaround. Do you think Gore threatened to beat them with that hockey stick? (Half-joking, btw.)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

The ozone hole is usually smaller during El Niño years, but modelling by Jucker and collaborators, including Chris Lucas of the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, has suggested it will be larger than usual in 2023, due to long-lasting atmospheric changes after the undersea Tonga volcano explosion in January last year.

The current ozone hole, over Antarctica, is now the size of North America. This observation shows how natural earth affects can have huge affects on the atmosphere, all the way to the ozone layer. This has been erroneously attributed to manmade CO2 and chlorinated gases.

Do you remember how the hole in the ozone layer a few decades ago was blamed on freon type gases, which we now is known to be connected to the El Niño cycle and now to a huge underwater volcano that alter El Niño. The climate events we are seeing around the world can be traced to that volcano under the South Pacific Ocean, which also has an impact on the El Niño cycle, which has been affecting climate since 1600's, at least.
That is because it was caused by that. And the ozone hole is an event that varies annually. It takes sunlight to make ozone so guess what happens in the far south during our summer months up here? Less sunlight, less ozone. Temporary ozone holes are not a huge problem since they tend to go away as the materials from eruption are consumed and when the Sun comes back. But the artificial ones caused by manmade products did not go away as much and were beginning to threaten human lives. With signs that it would only get worse. 2006 was the peak of the size of the ozone hole. And that was decades after fluorocarbons were banned as propellants. The atmosphere is healing even if we have a natural setback or two:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I still remember not hearing a word about climate change from our provincial government here in LotusLand, until one day Al Gore came to town and wowed the politicians present. From that day forward, all the Gordon Campbell government talked about was climate change. It was literally a 180 turnaround. Do you think Gore threatened to beat them with that hockey stick? (Half-joking, btw.)
Al Gore was never a favorite of mine. He could rabble rouse occasionally. The one thing I did not like about him was that he overstated the immediacy of the problem. That may have been justified because the changes that we are making will take decades to stop. Even if all excess CO2 was halted immediately the Earth will continue to warm for another fifty years or so. This is not good. More extreme measures may have to be taken in the future. One possible solution that would drive the conspiracy theory crowd are actual "chemtrails". It may be possible to release certain sulfur compounds at high elevations that would reflect more sunlight.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

Ummm, no. The ozone hole from a few decades ago was caused by the use of CFC's (aka human activity).

We managed to do something about it, back when people actually cared about this stuff.

"By 1987, just two years after the hole was discovered, an international treaty was in place that cut the use of CFCs in half. Three years later in 1990, the Montreal Protocol was strengthened to ban the use of CFCs altogether in industrialised countries by the year 2000 and by the year 2010 in developing countries. Today, the use of CFCs is outlawed by 197 countries around the world and scientists concur that the ozone layer is slowly recovering as a result. "

Oh, look at this, from the very article you're citing:

"The Antarctic ozone hole is an annual thinning of the stratosphere’s ozone layer, which has a high concentration of ozone molecules that absorb ultraviolet radiation from the sun. The hole has been “healing” over time, following the 1989 Montreal protocol which eliminated 99% of ozone-depleting chemicals, such as chlorofluorocarbons. Ozone levels over the Antarctic are expected to bounce back to 1980 levels by 2066."

This point does not support your stance on greenhouse gases.