• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An opinion on The Book of Revelation.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
ProfLogic said:
Does this mean the Hebrew god became greek?

Why on earth would it mean that? It just means that the early Church used Greek rather than Latin, Hebrew, Aramaic or anything else.

James

ProfLogic

JamesThePersian said:
Why on earth would it mean that? It just means that the early Church used Greek rather than Latin, Hebrew, Aramaic or anything else.

James

I am being sarcastic...

So in other words it might not be inspired by god since its just a language the the church selected. If I was the most powerful god I would have had a bible that would translate itself with all the languages that is present in the world not just Hebrew, Aramaic (thanks for this language I can never remember this). Languages are barriers between cultures and it would have made more sense for a gentle, kind, understanding god to make every single human understand its purpose.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
I am being sarcastic...

So in other words it might not be inspired by god since its just a language the the church selected. If I was the most powerful god I would have had a bible that would translate itself with all the languages that is present in the world not just Hebrew, Aramaic (thanks for this language I can never remember this). Languages are barriers between cultures and it would have made more sense for a gentle, kind, understanding god to make every single human understand its purpose.

And that's why you aren't God.

ProfLogic

Mystic-als said:
I like the way you aproach this from a "john had a Christ complex" side. I might not agree but it is refreshing to see some alternate view points and creativity in this discussion. Thank you for this.
ProfLogic can you please go a little deeper into this idea for us.

We see this in todays society, people who believe they are jesus christ and do the deeds that the bible had written. I would have never believe they are sane people if not experiencing this awareness myself. Only a few people have experience this awareness and only a few can verify its existence. There is a very strong possibility that a man that called himself jesus had encountered this awareness. The awareness made jesus if he was real or even the bible authors write things that were purely created in their minds and not actual events. there are some people in this forum who genuinely had the experience but are afraid to come forward because they are mark as insane people, blasphameous, etc. Knowing how a person can might do things that are suggested may give you an insight on the events that led to the writing of the bible. I have and so I am trying to open other peoples minds who fail denies being manipulated and controlled by their religions. Thats why I argue that reading is not enough, go try to experience it and you might have another perspective in the bible or even in the view of religions in general.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
And that's why you aren't God.

Hmmm cause I am gentle, considerate, fair, equal, etc.... but I will remember this post the day of your last judgement, make sure to stand to the left when I wave my hand.. lol

ProfLogic

Bible was violent, hence it shows when they spread christianity in asia and the americas. These were very religious men. The pope himself sent armies for war, and the crusades. Its totally inspired by it not man. If man thought logically then everyone would be fair no matter your beliefs and religion. The bible makes people think of violence since anyone who do not believe it appears evil and needed to be destroyed. More proff, still today people have religious wars but all everyone wants is just the right of exists. The bible wants you to exists in one way, believing it.....hence the violence. Let humanity live as they see them selves.

Ody

JustinJ86 said:
Revelation is the center piece of modern Judeo-Christian apocalypse mythology.

Not for Judaism.... =\
Maybe take the judeo out of there. :eek:

joeboonda

Here are the first verses of the Book:

1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: 1:2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
(King James Bible, Revelation)

This is a prophesy of thing that are to come to pass, the revelation of Jesus Christ to us. There is a promise of a blessing to those who read, hear and keep the things written in the book. We are supposed to read and study it, and hear (believe), and do the things we are told to do. God promises us a blessing from it, we can understand very much of it, it is not that hard. God has been shedding His light, illuminating our understanding of these things more and more as the day approaches.

gnostic

The Lost One
Atheists would certainly believed that Revelation was written by madman. Maybe all the winds blowing and howling 24/7 at Patmos could drive any guy insane.

I think it was written about his time or even before the present. It is too symbolic to be actually put in coherent context. It is full of metaphors.

The one about the Woman in Rev. 12 is about the past. The woman is pregnant, so I think it is Mary with Jesus, and the dragon symbolises Herod the Great.

jorylore

I could not question the validity of Revelation without questioning the vailidity of all inspired scripture; scripture that has proven by it's wisdom or fulfillment of prophecy to be from a higher source. If Revelation is simply a series of hallucinations by a bored prisoner, then what of the rest of the Bible?

No. Revelation is included in the Bible cannon for a reason. It's inspired of God.
And I must point out that if God can create the universe, he certainly can preserve the integrity of a simple book, so that what we receive is as pure and unadulterated as the day it was written.

That being the case, the beasts and dragons of Revelation, although not literal, are very real. They are worthy of being investigated to find out what they symbolize instead of being explained away by the idea that they're a myth.

gnostic said:
The one about the Woman in Rev. 12 is about the past. The woman is pregnant, so I think it is Mary with Jesus, and the dragon symbolises Herod the Great.

I agree that the passage describes Mary and Jesus; however, the dragon is actually identified as Satan, not Herod:

"So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." Rev. 12:9

FerventGodSeeker

kai

ragamuffin
the guy is talking about the contemporary world he lives in ,Rome ,Christians ,etc the way it is written was either pure genius in that we are still talking about it now, or insanity which makes us the fools for interpreting it ,you cant take it literally so you have to interpret it, if its from a divine source then that source either cant communicate easily with humans or it drove him insane . perhaps he wrote it that way because he was too scared to mention rome or certain people or events directly , i dont know i dont think anyone will ever know

Bishka

Veteran Member
kai said:
the guy is talking about the contemporary world he lives in ,Rome ,Christians ,etc the way it is written was either pure genius in that we are still talking about it now, or insanity which makes us the fools for interpreting it ,you cant take it literally so you have to interpret it, if its from a divine source then that source either cant communicate easily with humans or it drove him insane . perhaps he wrote it that way because he was too scared to mention rome or certain people or events directly , i dont know i dont think anyone will ever know

That's what some people think, that he was talking about his time, but what if he saw the future (which many people do believe), and he was prophecying of events to come.

Those things were meant to be metaphorically, and perhaps, there were things in his vision that weren't invented or seen yet and he there wasn't a name in his language for it.

Ophiuchus

I have shared revelations with John through Jesus Christ. The same visions and dreams.

The strangest thing is that before seeing it I had no idea what it was talking about. After the dream or vision it had been revealed.

gnostic

The Lost One
FerventGodSeeker said:
I agree that the passage describes Mary and Jesus; however, the dragon is actually identified as Satan, not Herod:

To me, it just look like a metaphor, to with Jesus' pending birth, when Herod desperately tried to search and kill the infant destined to be king. Since the woman in the Revelation was also pregnant, I assumed it was talking of Mary, and I'm also assuming John, whoever wrote this, was talking of the past, not the future.

gnostic

The Lost One
Kai said:
the guy is talking about the contemporary world he lives in ,Rome ,Christians ,etc
Yes, I thought he was talking of Rome, when he spoke cryptically of Babylon or the Whore of Babylon. Either that, or he failed hopelessly his geography class. :p

Bishka

Veteran Member
gnostic said:
Yes, I thought he was talking of Rome, when he spoke cryptically of Babylon or the Whore of Babylon. Either that, or he failed hopelessly his geography class. :p

Or he was prophecying....