• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Philosophy vs the Corona Virus

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Here is a NJ Mayor that happens to be a Doctor explaining why this virus is a problem in the US.

EB Mayor: America's 'Renegade Spirit A Terrible Trait Right Now'

What are your thoughts,
Even in China police had to weld homes (of people who had to stay inside)
Coronavirus patients WELDED into homes in China as death toll spirals to 813
China went quite far and extreme to make sure Corona rules were followed
That's maybe why they got it under control so fast (if news is correct)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There's a vast difference between the utterly self-centered assumption that someone can do whatever he feels like and those who value individual choice but also know they are part of society and have duties and responsibilities that come with that.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
There's a vast difference between the utterly self-centered assumption that someone can do whatever he feels like and those who value individual choice but also know they are part of society and have duties and responsibilities that come with that.

New Hampshire's state motto is Live free or die. I think in more Americans minds then those minds of other countries freedom is worth dying for. I believe that is what the article is leading to. It is not born out of self-centered-ism.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Yes. We are well informed and understand the seriousness of it (we're not stupid) and at the same time know when to stop, drop, and roll as told. I guess it depends on the area, people, etc. Like here, we have a lot of military so even though a lot of people aren't taking precautions as we see on the news and docs offices, there is a high risk here nonetheless. Maybe it's keeping a balance. Like for me, I can't afford to panic. So, it depends.

74x12

Here is a NJ Mayor that happens to be a Doctor explaining why this virus is a problem in the US.

What are your thoughts,
Yes personal liberty is not a convenient trait right now; but my thoughts are it's still worth holding onto. Consider this a threat. -Don't be stupid- but recognize that if we would be strong and if we really believe in individual liberty like Americans do; then we will face threats. Like soldiers on the battlefield. In fact I think to myself what would someone who just came back from world war 2 think of coronavirus? They just faced artillery bombardments, bullets, grenades etc. They feel like they cheated death maybe a hundred times. I don't think they would be very worried about coronavirus. Perhaps they would view it as just another bullet that has been fired by the enemy?

What we don't need is reactionary panicked decision making. Always let yourself be guided by the rational mind. Don't do today what you will regret tomorrow.

Yet be smart. Because it's the rational mind that knows how to keep itself as safe as possible from threats and yet logically refuses fear/worry about those things that are completely out of it's own control. So the key point here is to figure out for yourself what is and isn't in your own control. What is in your control you can fix. What is out of your control you should refuse to worry about. That's one of the most important points of ancient Stoic philosophy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are advantages & disadvantages in lifestyles ranging from Ameristanian
(more liberty) to China (less liberty). China has a great advantage in dealing
with this plague. But we should ask ourselves....which system would we rather
live under? There's no right or wrong...just a personal preference.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What are your thoughts,

Well, some things this doctor was describing seemed more like acts of utter foolishness, not necessarily a result of America's "renegade spirit." If anything, it might be more a result of a certain incurable optimism which has been prevalent in America. It's a large part of our culture for people to "accentuate the positive" and "think positive" and keep feeling those "good vibrations." We like to look on the bright side and many think that nothing bad will ever happen. We just want to have fun and follow the creed of "don't worry, be happy."

I'm not really knocking that entirely, as I think FDR's words are just as true now as they were when he said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." I think people should heed the warnings and follow all recommendations from the health experts, but we also have a need to remain optimistic and strong. A lot of people are going outright batty out there, panic buying toilet paper.

If this is truly the end of civilization, then maybe humanity's last hope for survival will rest in a handful of germaphobes isolating themselves in some distant warehouse, stacked with MREs and crates of toilet paper - but no working toilets.