• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Altars and Shrines

Do you have a personal altar or shrine?

• Yes, and it's on display for anyone to see

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Yes, but I keep it hidden from others

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I have a representation of my religion that hangs on my wall

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I would like to, but my living situation prevents it

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No, because the one at my place of public worship is sufficient

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, because I don't feel the need to have one

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • The Earth is my altar or shrine

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

Cherub786

The sacred Kaaba in Mecca is our Shrine. A plain bricked cube-shaped building draped in a black cloth, it is a symbol of the Celestial House of God in the Heavens which the Angels circulate at and worship and praise God. It does not contain any image or idol, nor is it the tomb of any saint or holy man, but it is dedicated purely to God.

Masjid-Haram-Makkah.jpg

Cherub786

In terms of a personal space where one is in the "Zone" of spiritual experience and communion with God, it is any clean place that I set aside for prayer, upon the prayer mat. I have no holy relic in my personal possession, but a copy of the Holy Quran which is placed in an elevated position (never on the ground). When I read from it, usually burn a censer next to me that produces a pleasant scent. It is the closest arrangement to a personal "chapel"

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I am still not finished with it though as I need to write my physical grimoire and some other little items but as a whole I am proud with what I have now. The vase is for libations if anybody wants to know. The alter itself is made of bronze which is only fitting whom it is dedicated to.
ArYxGkd_B6ZYta8x0J8tGYh6qxw4lu3s7ePnP51bCUmLzIEUuF6G0l9dqPTPRh2la7iOpB3dJudRABlBCS99sFpbcaOlPRnY6qw6Qb9ikjrcvkRZni3EmeuMa0ZbbR3e2uvHUNA-eg=w374-h662-no
5aosnGx_6mHYq6grYUzuGNvUl7u0ydIzdvzw3LKWLTjy49dnz4ysjMIRdKUOPgDHBWrQHDDH5PU7j_178lhggIWIZzhU_4S4ZgRdPqyzHXq4pKOlsmvQG3rItfRv2mAgV-JZRtVz1w=w374-h662-no

GoodbyeDave

I have an altar which contains
- statues of my household gods: Hestia, Hekate, Asklepios, and Tyche
- picture(s) of the god(s) whose festivals fall in the current month: at the moment, Dionysos
- candles, incense burner, libation and offering bowls, and a flower vase

It's used for worship every day.

bubbleguppy

Serial Forum Observer
I wish I could have an altar or shrine, but my parents are too Christian for me to be able to do have one openly

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish I could have an altar or shrine, but my parents are too Christian for me to be able to do have one openly

The funny thing about this is most folks are pretty darned ignorant about non-Abrahamic religions. It's pretty easy to have shrines around your house that honor the sacred as you see it and outsiders will just think it's home deco. The Earth shrine in my home, for example, would just look like a geologist's showcase to the ignorant. Only a Pagan might guess it has any religious significance whatsoever, but even they might not pick up on it. :D

bubbleguppy

Serial Forum Observer
The funny thing about this is most folks are pretty darned ignorant about non-Abrahamic religions. It's pretty easy to have shrines around your house that honor the sacred as you see it and outsiders will just think it's home deco. The Earth shrine in my home, for example, would just look like a geologist's showcase to the ignorant. Only a Pagan might guess it has any religious significance whatsoever, but even they might not pick up on it. :D
It's a little harder to hide a Hindu shrine though, especially because it's not supposed to located in any room one has been intimate in, and I don't know if my closet could count as another room.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a little harder to hide a Hindu shrine though, especially because it's not supposed to located in any room one has been intimate in, and I don't know if my closet could count as another room.

Haha... yeah, I suppose in this case setting something up would be a bit more difficult.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
This is mine. I put it up a few years back, and haven't taken it down because I like it. :)

It has a male and female statue to represent the male and female energies in creation.

Also an incense burner, candles, a plate for whatever I might want to add, etc.

Flowers representing renewed nature.

And a misting bowl for meditation or scrying.

The dagger was a gift from BlueWolf.

full

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I have nothing. :( I don't have anything up on my walls and have barely any furniture. I recently got a dresser so I could put something on that. Maybe I'll put my wall crucifix up above my bed soon.