• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All the flaws of Science.

Daviso452

Boy Genius
Hey, I'm an atheist. If that didn't turn you away immediatley, thank you.

I wish to discuss any inconsistancies people have found in science and thus find it unreliable. Perhaps what you thought was an inconsistancy was really a misunderstanding. Perhaps science does have some major flaws that I never thought of.

Anyway, you get the idea. I'm not looking for any particular field of science, just science in general.

P.S. Some people may read this and say, "you do not understand what science is." Trust me when I say I do.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
What we normally call science is actually only part method (the actual science) -- the rest is metaphysics (such as interpretation of data) and mathematics (an extension of logic).

That being said, I can't think of any major flaws with science when the above is properly understood. I guess it helps if people understand that science is limited to the empirical, too.

Daviso452

Boy Genius
And you came here to teach us lesser intellects all about it. Oh, goody ... :biglaugh:
I was merely just trying to prevent those people who purposefuly go "you don't know what science is." I've seen it so many times on so many different forums. Just wanted to take the precaution, but I do understand now the image I projected on myself. I'll remove it

Anyway, this topic was meant for people who believe they have found some sort of inconsistancy with science and therefore do not trust it. I myself do not know of any flaws, but I have heard many theists say they do not trust science because of a flaw they know of. If you do not know of any flaws, please do not post.
"If you don't have anything productive to add to the discussion, please keep your mouth shut."
I believe that's how the saying goes.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
My issue is with scientists who speak with absolute authority on a subject backed up by a theory.

I lose all respect when later on, the so called experts change their tune just because they have a new pet theory.

My example would be Dinosaurs. I was taught the volcanoes took the reptilians out. Now asteroids are all the rage. What is wrong with saying, "we don't know for sure"?

Have you heard of chicken little?

First it is another ice age.

Then came global warming.

Now it is climate change.......

Give me a break.

I support science to a certain degree. I just don't worship science.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Oh! I just thought of a major flaw, at least for me. (It doesn't prevent me from trusting it, but I think it's one of the major reasons why most people don't understand it.)

It's language.

Seriously, all forms of science seem to completely misuse words, or use foreign words (likely misused, as well) that don't mean anything to most people.

As a result, it becomes VERY difficult to properly communicate its findings to the common man, so it's no surprise that most laymen don't understand it.

A. T. Henderson

R&P refugee
My example would be Dinosaurs. I was taught the volcanoes took the reptilians out. Now asteroids are all the rage. What is wrong with saying, "we don't know for sure"?

Nothing, but people don't like hearing it. People want scientists to speak with authority, so the ones who get publicity are the ones who do.

As far as we know, it's almost certain that an asteroid was responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs, just as it's almost certain that the planet is undergoing climate change. In the latter case, most of what most people hear on the subject is filtered through news media, who naturally want the story to be as sensational as possible and therefore present the most recent findings and theories as absolute certainties, even when the scientists actually making them don't regard them as such. We know something is definitely happening, we just don't know with absolute certainty what it is, what the causes are or what the long-term outlook is.

We're almost certain, but not absolutely so. That's usually the best science can offer.

A. T. Henderson

R&P refugee
Oh! I just thought of a major flaw, at least for me. (It doesn't prevent me from trusting it, but I think it's one of the major reasons why most people don't understand it.)

It's language.

Seriously, all forms of science seem to completely misuse words, or use foreign words (likely misused, as well) that don't mean anything to most people.

As a result, it becomes VERY difficult to properly communicate its findings to the common man, so it's no surprise that most laymen don't understand it.

Can you give an example of this?

outhouse

Atheistically
My issue is with scientists who speak with absolute authority on a subject backed up by a theory.

I lose all respect when later on, the so called experts change their tune just because they have a new pet theory.

Have you heard of chicken little?

First it is another ice age.

Then came global warming.

Now it is climate change.......

Give me a break.

I support science to a certain degree. I just don't worship science.

I dont know a atheist that worships science.

Science is ONLY about understanding tings the best we can at that time with the knowledge we currently possess.

It is self correcting as we learn more on some cases.

Remeber science provides results but it does not prove anything. That is not its job.

as far as Dinos, it was a combination of volcanic activity and a asteroid

Many things will never change in science. Gravity, things will fall. Life, it will evolve. ect ect ect

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I hate how science is misunderstood by most people. Damn you science! Why don't you be more understandable to the common man?
Well, if it's so convoluted so as to not be understood by the common drunkard who dropped out of the 5th grade, perhaps it's all just WRONG.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Why does science speak with such authority when they just have a theory to back them up.

Why not start a sentence with, "we believe" or "we think" Instead of stating theories as fact?

outhouse

Atheistically
Why does science speak with such authority when they just have a theory to back them up.

Why not start a sentence with, "we believe" or "we think" Instead of stating theories as fact?

because a scientific theory is actually pretty close to fact as one can get.

many people mistake a new hypothesis as scientific theory and its not.

when it comes to gravity for example, we dont know everything. We know the apples fall and at what rate and we have some ideas about why but its not solved.

Evolution is sort of the same. Life does evolve, we observe this and no new discovery will change it, the mechanics however, like gravity we still must learn more about.

CynthiaCypher

I don't think the discipline is flawed within it's self. But when people view scince has something that will solve all the problems that plague humankind I view that as wishful thinking and I see that as a major flaw in some people

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't think the discipline is flawed within it's self. But when people view scince has something that will solve all the problems that plague humankind I view that as wishful thinking and I see that as a major flaw in some people

I would say it is very close to having faith in science. A religion perhaps. :yes:

CynthiaCypher

I would say it is very close to having faith in science. A religion perhaps. :yes:

Everytime I hear a scientist say on TV "In the future we will..." I want to reach for my revolver. These are people supposedly speaking from authority making some of the most absurd speculations ever.