• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All the flaws of Science.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Everytime I hear a scientist say on TV "In the future we will..." I want to reach for my revolver. These are people supposedly speaking from authority making some of the most absurd speculations ever.

That would be like me saying, "If you pray to God, he will give you a Mercedes". :facepalm:

Seriously, if a person said, "The majority of scientists believe in man made global warming", I would be fine with that. I might even consider it.

CynthiaCypher

That would be like me saying, "If you pray to God, he will give you a Mercedes". :facepalm:

Seriously, if a person said, "The majority of scientists believe in man made global warming", I would be fine with that. I might even consider it.

Yet many otherwise rational people think like that "If you beleive in science, we will get starships in the future". They don't even bother to consider that maybe such things are implausible

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Yet many otherwise rational people think like that "If you beleive in science, we will get starships in the future". They don't even bother to consider that maybe such things are implausible
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

We now have some of the same toys in the consumer marketplace that were deemed far-fetched and implausible in the past.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Can you give an example of this?

From the Science vs. Religion thread, Light Barrier Possibly Broken:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/science-vs-religion/121400-light-barrier-possibly-broken.html

"The BCT consists of toroidal transformers coaxial to the proton beam providing a
signal proportional to the beam current instantaneously transiting through it, with a few hundred
MHz bandwidth."

My response in that thread was thus:

Uh... are you sure you didn't just take that from Star Trek? That really sounds like bad technobabble. ^_^

And I still stand by that statement!

sojourner

From the Science vs. Religion thread, Light Barrier Possibly Broken:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/science-vs-religion/121400-light-barrier-possibly-broken.html

My response in that thread was thus:

Uh... are you sure you didn't just take that from Star Trek? That really sounds like bad technobabble. ^_^

And I still stand by that statement!
Just for the sake of argument, we used to explode at the speed of 30 mph, too.
And the sound barrier was a brick wall in the sky that would rip the wings off an airplane.

Just because we don't yet have the technology doesn't mean that we might at some future time. I doubt that by that time, we will have need of a "Starfleet..."

Photonic

Ad astra!
My issue is with scientists who speak with absolute authority on a subject backed up by a theory.

I lose all respect when later on, the so called experts change their tune just because they have a new pet theory.

My example would be Dinosaurs. I was taught the volcanoes took the reptilians out. Now asteroids are all the rage. What is wrong with saying, "we don't know for sure"?

Have you heard of chicken little?

First it is another ice age.

Then came global warming.

Now it is climate change.......

Give me a break.

I support science to a certain degree. I just don't worship science.

You do know that a scientific theory is something backed by evidence, and is interpreted based on that evidence, as new evidence is gathered, theories are subject to change (*both small and large changes).

If you believe there are theories that are fundamentally wrong, go do the research and fix them.

CynthiaCypher

Except it is entirely plausible.

No it's not we don't have enough resources to build, maintain or propel a massive starship to other star systems.

And what about the economics? Do you have any idea the amount of money it would take to even start such a project?

sojourner

No it's not we don't have enough resources to build, maintain or propel a massive starship to other star systems.

And what about the economics? Do you have any idea the amount of money it would take to even start such a project?
We seem to have resources enough to build massive cruise ships.
In the 1700s there was not enough wealth to build even one stealth bomber. Now we have a whole fleet...

CynthiaCypher

Just because we don't yet have the technology doesn't mean that we might at some future time. I doubt that by that time, we will have need of a "Starfleet..."

There is no guarantee that the human race will even have a future...so stop saying "we might at some future time" because we might not.

sojourner

There is no guarantee that the human race will even have a future...so stop saying "we might at some future time" because we might not.
Yeah, and Jesus said that the present generation would not pass away before these things would come to pass, too.

We're still waiting...

Photonic

Ad astra!

More than you could possibly imagine.

And yes, we do.