• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

all religions are correct

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
many people include their superstitions in religion but their superstitions are weak compared to religion.
While that is somewhat true, in that people tend to project their own views onto reality, it deftly ignores the inherent superstition that forms the basis of a considerable amount of religious thought. It may not seem like outright superstition due to the highly formalized presentation or in simpler terms, window dressing. You can put lipstick on a pig but it will still be a member of the Suidae family of even-toed ungulates

syo

While that is somewhat true, in that people tend to project their own views onto reality, it deftly ignores the inherent superstition that forms the basis of a considerable amount of religious thought. It may not seem like outright superstition due to the highly formalized presentation or in simpler terms, window dressing.
but people can overcome all superstitions by seeing the forest (all religions) and not just the tree (their own religion)

does it make sense?

if a religion says "there is only one god" but in reality people worship 1 million other Gods, then the follower of that religion will worship only one god BUT he/she must understand and accept the fact that it IS possible to worship other Gods.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
but people can overcome all superstitions by seeing the forest (all religions) and not just the tree (their own religion)
In theory, I suppose, but the massive problem with this is that all the trees and their bark, but in this case that bark, bites. :)

does it make sense?
A teeny bit... not a lot though.

if a religion says "there is only one god" but in reality people worship 1 million other Gods, then the follower of that religion will worship only one god BUT he/she must understand and accept the fact that it IS possible to worship other Gods.
And those believers MUST accept that many of us have no use for their primitive notions of god(s) or ill-conceived god concepts. Strange how that point never seems to come up in discussions like this. It's always about whose god is the right god. Oy vey.

syo

In theory, I suppose, but the massive problem with this is that all the trees and their bark, but in this case that bark, bites. :)

A teeny bit... not a lot though.

And those believers MUST accept that many of us have no use for their primitive notions of god(s) or ill-conceived god concepts. Strange how that point never seems to come up in discussions like this. It's always about whose god is the right god. Oy vey.
Yes! Exactly! Atheism is of course an option that is ALSO correct. People can understand and accept the fact that they can worship no God. That's the freedom the Gods give to humans. The Gods NEVER punish humans for not worshipping them that's why atheism exists.

Now in religion unfortunately there are people, usually PRIESTS, who mix religion with their superstition and say "the infidels will face the wrath of God" "we must kill the infidels" and other disgusting things like that.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yes! Exactly! Atheism is of course an option that is ALSO correct. People can understand and accept the fact that they can worship no God. That's the freedom the Gods give to humans. The Gods NEVER punish humans for not worshipping them that's why atheism exists.

Now in religion unfortunately there are people, usually PRIESTS, who mix religion with their superstition and say "the infidels will face the wrath of God" "we must kill the infidels" and other disgusting things like that.
Tell me if I am wrong, but you are quite young, aren't you? Under 25? Under 20?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I didn't realize it was a difficult question. You can be vague if you want. It just helps me through my assessment filling out your psych profile for my records. :)
It's about gauging your understanding level.

syo

I didn't realize it was a difficult question. You can be vague if you want. It just helps me through my assessment filling out your psych profile for my records. :)
It's about gauging your understanding level.
??

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
You can put lipstick on a pig but it will still be a member of the Suidae family of even-toed ungulates

th

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You're an atheist. Do the Gods punish you?

And many people include superstition in religion unfortunately.
I am an atheist so I don't believe there is anything at all to dole out punishments. But my belief is not the only acceptable option, and neither is your belief that the god/s didn't or wouldn't punish. For all I know I'm being punished in a way I'm not aware of, or will after death. Either way these beliefs exist and are no more superstitious than theism itself.

syo

I am an atheist so I don't believe there is anything at all to dole out punishments. But my belief is not the only acceptable option, and neither is your belief that the god/s didn't or wouldn't punish. For all I know I'm being punished in a way I'm not aware of, or will after death. Either way these beliefs exist and are no more superstitious than theism itself.
The Gods allow atheism so that they will punish the atheists?

Theism is superstition? No, it's not.

Rick O'Shez

While that is somewhat true, in that people tend to project their own views onto reality, it deftly ignores the inherent superstition that forms the basis of a considerable amount of religious thought.

Yes, there is a lot of that going on. People have a subjective "spiritual" experience and assume it must correlate to something "out there". Mostly it looks like anthropomorphism, wishful thinking, confirmation bias or just plain egocentricity.

syo

It might be more accurate to start from the assumption that all religions are INCORRECT.
Yes, that would be also an assumption. But as far as I know, all religions have one common ground. They talk about how life started and why life exists. Can irreligion explain how life started?

syo

The only common ground I can see is a tendency to make stuff up without providing credible evidence.
It is impossible to have credible evidence in religion. Because in religion people try to approach the mystery of Life. It's impossible to have full knowledge of Life.

I want to add that "credible evidence" kind of differs from person to person, but it's not the point I want to make.

Rick O'Shez

It is impossible to have credible evidence in religion. Because in religion people try to approach the mystery of Life.

Fair enough, but why is there a need to make stuff up? What is wrong with saying "we don't know"?

ak.yonathan

I think that hate exists because people are not following the true teachings of their religion. For instance, Jesus himself never said to hate anyone, in fact he said do not judge others.