• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All bow, the Lady has arrived

Lady Arwyn

OK, enough with the sillyiness, now that I've caught your attention... :woohoo:

Hi, I'm Jean. I've been around a number of atheist related BBs, known as "MoralAtheist" (when I'm feeling cheeky) or "Lady Arwyn."

I'm a lifelong atheist, never learned to believe in a higher power, despite the family trying to indoctrinate me early. I did the church thing but never realized that I was actually expected to BELIEVE the fantastic (really great fantasy) stories we were told. I led occasional meal prayers and loved setting up the little creche under the Christmas tree. And I never realized anyone thought it was all true. As a kid I thought it was all a social game! I didn't realize other people believed until I was in my teens. And I didn't know there were people who took "creation" seriously until I was in my 20s. And this in a family that I now understand to be pretty serious Fundie Christians.

I don't believe in any kind of hell, eternal soul, etc. When you're dead, you're dead. Your immortality remains with the people you left behind, the ripples you left on the world.

I'm married, 16 years, to an atheist. We met while serving in the US Navy. We have 3 kids whom we are raising as freethinkers. We never once told them what to believe, just provided the tools to think for themselves. One is atheist, one doesn't seem to much care, and our daughter is only 7, she believes in unicorns and mermaids. :D

I never could get much into the activist scene, but I love debating (as opposed to arguing). Lately I've gotten pretty burned out, of all the hundreds of debates I've been in, I've only "saved" two people from religion. One of them still "believes" but she had to leave her church when she started asking too many questions, questions that I led her to ask.

I am a moderator or list-owner on a couple of sites, Real World Atheism and Atheist Moms. One is a group for atheists to just hang out and talk, the other is a forum for atheistic moms to discuss parenting, kids and whatever without being told to pray, see our pastor, etc, the typical response from members of most moms' groups out there.

Politically I'm pretty much a moderate. The liberals call me a conservative and the conservatives call me a liberal, so I must be a moderate, LOL. I support the death penalty, a ban on abortions after the beginning of the 5th month (but keep it legal and available earlier in pregnancy), hunting, the 1st Amendment and public education. I think homeschooling should never be allowed (except in cases of medical necessity or if the parent has a teaching degree), that women with children under the age of 5 should never work outside of the home and that drugs should not be legalized, but marajuana should be studied for medical use, and OKed as a prescription drug.

I'm currently a freshman at the University of Colorado, studying Pre-Journalism, Political Science and Anthropology (cultural). I'm working to get into the Media Consultant scene (aka Spin Doctor, aka Public Relations), probably to work for politicians or political movements. Or in sports. I'm really into football and baseball.

Well, that's me in a nutshell.

Jean

Draka

Wonder Woman
Wow! Quite an intro! Welcome to RF and I expect I will be seeing you in some debate threads ;) . Have fun and try not to take things here too seriously. We are all here in good spirits and fun. :bonk: Welcome again!

robtex

Veteran Member
Great to meet you. I think you find the diversity here quite appealing. This place is a far-cry from the traditonal atheists vs theists that is typical on the net. It is more a spirt of mutual cooperatio n between theist non-theist for a better understanding of our world and reality.

Will I expect to hear your opinion on the current death penatly threads soon and hope you enjoy your stay.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hehee, I liked Robtex's post. I'm afraid we're not ones for non-theist versus theist smack-downs, but I hope you'll enjoy it here! (From your post, it sounded as if you prefer intelligent discussion more, anyway, so I imagine you will!)

I love your avatar and your username! I pre-apologize if I ever spell it Arwen, though. (I've got a bad habit of doing that.)

Here are some things that have been useful for our newer members...

Forum Rules

Information About Becoming a Supporter (No more ads!)

Frubals, Coins and Ribbons FAQ

Join the Theists or Non- Theists Group!

Ceridwen018

What a very interesting life you've had! You seem like a spectacular addition to our little family. Glad to have you aboard! :)

linwood

Well, that's me in a nutshell.

Oh my, You would appear to be a female ..ME!

Welcome tot he boards lady, I`m off to check out your sites.