• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aleister Crowley...Your Thoughts

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
What are your thoughts on Aleister Crowley? I am not really impressed with him although I do agree with his idea of Thelema...not all though. He seemed as if he was on the right path, but drugs, sex, and power consumed him to much. He lacked balance and destroyed himself. What are your thoughts on him?

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
What are your thoughts on Aleister Crowley? I am not really impressed with him although I do agree with his idea of Thelema...not all though. He seemed as if he was on the right path, but drugs, sex, and power consumed him to much. He lacked balance and destroyed himself. What are your thoughts on him?

Hi Neophyte!

I used his Thoth tarot deck for many years when I was a Wiccan. I thought it was very well put together and the symbolism was very cohesive. I've read the book that was a companion to the deck and he seemed very intelligent and coherent. I don't know much about his personal life, other than the commonly known stories. We are all lotuses - roots in the mud but looking for the light.

Peace and blessings
Yeshe
:flower2:

Vorinn

I pretty much agree with you, from what I know (and I've read a bit but haven't made a systematic study). He was a flawed human being, like most of us, but it seems to me like he lived louder and brighter than most of us and so his flaws shone out more brightly too. I get the impression that he really played up the whole evil/Great Beast/666 thing because he liked the attention, and as a reaction to the relatively repressed version of Christianity that he grew up in.

I do think that at least some of what he created has transcended the man himself. I have a healthy respect for Thelema and have been meaning to explore it more (someday...), and the Thoth Tarot deck is one of my favorites.

Neophyte

Miranda Kerr Worship
I pretty much agree with you, from what I know (and I've read a bit but haven't made a systematic study). He was a flawed human being, like most of us, but it seems to me like he lived louder and brighter than most of us and so his flaws shone out more brightly too. I get the impression that he really played up the whole evil/Great Beast/666 thing because he liked the attention, and as a reaction to the relatively repressed version of Christianity that he grew up in.

I do think that at least some of what he created has transcended the man himself. I have a healthy respect for Thelema and have been meaning to explore it more (someday...), and the Thoth Tarot deck is one of my favorites.

I like the idea of Thelema but my problem with it is it became a religion. Don't get me wrong, I am not against religions. I feel any religion is good as long as it betters a person. (Islam for instance is great for some. Teaching them to take care of the poor, etc, but then others under the same name kill innocent people. So any religion can be good it just depends on what you decide to do with it.) My problem with Thelema is you must believe in the Egyptian God Nut and others and that Crowely was their prophet. If it were not for that I might consider it but I do not believe any god revealed himself. I do agree with the basic idea of Thelema though.

Crowley did have a repressing childhood which, I think, drove him to hate Christianity. I also believe that was what drove him deeper to his dark side. He felt good fighting what he hated, but went overboard. He did crave attention, that was for certain. It is probably because he lacked that from his dad when he was a child.

Good post!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Low as my opinion of Crowley is, it seems to me that it is far worse to give any importance to him. Crowley was a deeply disturbed individual, in some senses a victim of the repressive culture of his time.

And like so many victims, he tried to pass the pain and confusion forward. Deep down that is all his books are - self-righteous con jobs that attempt to draw confusion and obedience from their readers, much as Crowley himself apparently felt pressured by the expectations of his upbringing.

He is much like an earlier manifestation of the same mishappens that more recently brought us the likes of "Bhagwan" (later "Osho") Rajneesh. A self-styled sage that is ultimately nothing more than a not-completely-unskilled, dangerous con man that existed in a society that did not quite know how to protect itself from his pernicious influence by making his poisonous message unnecessary.

Otherright

Otherright
I don't have a whole lot of thoughts on Crowley. I consider him incredibly delusional and maybe even insane. Other than that...

Skwim

Veteran Member
Crowley: A drug laden fruitcake of the first order.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Vorinn

I like the idea of Thelema but my problem with it is it became a religion. Don't get me wrong, I am not against religions. I feel any religion is good as long as it betters a person. (Islam for instance is great for some. Teaching them to take care of the poor, etc, but then others under the same name kill innocent people. So any religion can be good it just depends on what you decide to do with it.) My problem with Thelema is you must believe in the Egyptian God Nut and others and that Crowely was their prophet. If it were not for that I might consider it but I do not believe any god revealed himself. I do agree with the basic idea of Thelema though.

That's fair enough, although I get the impression that you could be a Thelemite with a mostly atheist viewpoint, understanding the names of the Gods as used in Thelema as metaphorical or symbolic. But I'm out of my depth here. My understanding is that Thelemites use the names of the Egyptian Gods but don't necessarily understand them very much the way that the ancient Egyptians, or modern Kemetics, would.

In his book on the Thoth Tarot, Lon Milo DuQuette makes a good point about the idea of Crowley as a prophet. Being a prophet doesn't necessarily mean that you are better than the average person, or even a decent human being. He makes reference to the Old Testament story of Elisha and the bears (conveniently being discussed in this thread). Being a prophet only means that you are tuned in to some sort of connection with the Divine. I don't know whether Crowley was or wasn't, or if he was, what the spirit that revealed itself to him was, but that passage helped me think about it.

He is much like an earlier manifestation of the same mishappens that more recently brought us the likes of "Bhagwan" (later "Osho") Rajneesh. A self-styled sage that is ultimately nothing more than a not-completely-unskilled, dangerous con man that existed in a society that did not quite know how to protect itself from his pernicious influence by making his poisonous message unnecessary.

I've actually thought about this exact comparison before, and I think it's an interesting one. I am more forgiving of Crowley than of Osho and more willing to listen sympathetically to his message. I wonder sometimes whether that's just because Osho happened in my lifetime, but I think there is more to it than that. Crowley encouraged his followers to think for themselves, and didn't gather a group that were as brainwashed (I use that word hesitantly, but that is how I would describe it) as Osho's were toward the end of the commune in Oregon.

More than that, though, I look at Osho's teachings and I don't see much that isn't recycled stuff that I've seen before, nothing that seems novel to me, much less worth throwing away your worldly possessions and trying to poison people. Crowley's - well, there is something original there, at least. I don't know if it's valuable, and it's not worth the things the people did for Osho's sake either - but I think there is more there. That's just a subjective impression, though, and not something I can really back up.

I don't think either of them was a good man, but I think there might be something more redeeming in Crowley's message than Osho's.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Low as my opinion of Crowley is, it seems to me that it is far worse to give any importance to him. Crowley was a deeply disturbed individual, in some senses a victim of the repressive culture of his time.

And like so many victims, he tried to pass the pain and confusion forward. Deep down that is all his books are - self-righteous con jobs that attempt to draw confusion and obedience from their readers, much as Crowley himself apparently felt pressured by the expectations of his upbringing.

Thank you, Luis, as you have saved me the time of forming a response to this thread. I specifically like the line, "it seems to me that it is far worse to give any importance to him". Too true. I think a clue of how useful his "teachings" were can be found in an examination the lives of those who came into contact with him for prolonged periods. That wreckage should be all the evidence one needs to determine the merits of his thinking.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Crowley was another troubled soul. He spent his life searching for something that constantly eluded him. His delusion that he had found something and attempts to teach it to others made him nothing more than pathetic. Barely worth replying about his life, if you want my personal opinion.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

with a religious moto such as: “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole law” i'd say he was an evil twisted psycho-maniac. He advocated the violation of every moral code and Bible principle known to man. Murder, violence, rape, and human sacrifice were all a part of his religious ritual.

Do you really believe that he was on the right path???

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is the tragedy, IMO. Not so much that there was a Crowley or a Thelema (there is never a shortage of nutcases or of worthless teachings, after all) but that there was a time when they actually became attractive and apparently even worthwhile for some people.

The fault is not really in Crowley or his teachings, but on the environment surrounding them, that neglected its own social and religious health so much that Crowley became noteworthy.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The fault is not really in Crowley or his teachings, but on the environment surrounding them, that neglected its own social and religious health so much that Crowley became noteworthy.
I think you are on to something there, Luis. I think Crowley was a good example the results of complete submission to indulgence (of any kind). Things of this nature will always be attractive to extremists.