• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama Supreme Court declares frozen embryos are legally children

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In a first-of-its-kind decision, the Alabama state supreme court ruled on Friday that embryos are “extrauterine children” – a term that could have widespread implications for anybody who is seeking or provides in vitro fertilization (IVF). The ruling has plunged IVF doctors and patients in Alabama into chaos and uncertainty, as they scramble to untangle the practical implications of the sweeping ruling.

The thing that I note most of all, is that in his concurring opinion, Chief Justice Tom Parker deliberately and explicitly invoked religion, when he said:

"The people of Alabama have declared the public policsy of this state to be that unborn human life is sacred...we believe that each huma being, from the moment of conception, is made in the image of God, created by Him to refelct his likeness."

Guess what, folks -- separation of church and state is definitely on the way out in the U.S., since by Overton, this now becomes a legitimate matter for public, political discussion.

I think the "Christian Nationalists" are winning, because not enough Americans are speaking up to rein them in.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Some information for those unfamiliar with the term......

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In a first-of-its-kind decision, the Alabama state supreme court ruled on Friday that embryos are “extrauterine children” – a term that could have widespread implications for anybody who is seeking or provides in vitro fertilization (IVF). The ruling has plunged IVF doctors and patients in Alabama into chaos and uncertainty, as they scramble to untangle the practical implications of the sweeping ruling.

The thing that I note most of all, is that in his concurring opinion, Chief Justice Tom Parker deliberately and explicitly invoked religion, when he said:

"The people of Alabama have declared the public policsy of this state to be that unborn human life is sacred...we believe that each huma being, from the moment of conception, is made in the image of God, created by Him to refelct his likeness."

Guess what, folks -- separation of church and state is definitely on the way out in the U.S., since by Overton, this now becomes a legitimate matter for public, political discussion.

I think the "Christian Nationalists" are winning, because not enough Americans are speaking up to rein them in.

Yeah... I won't believe that they consider embryos to be people until they refuse to deport someone because of an "anchor embryo."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
And, I've just learned, Nikki Haley has asserted that she believes that "frozen embryos are babies."

Think of the problems -- here's a single example: several embryos are created in an IVF procedure for a couple desperate for children, and one (maybe two) are embedded in the woman's womb. What do you do with the others? Is it now necessary to find some other womb to host them, and if you don't, are you guilty of murder?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And, I've just learned, Nikki Haley has asserted that she believes that "frozen embryos are babies."
I hope that she is the only surviving relative of her rich aunt who dies without a will, and just as she's poised to inherit a huge estate, they discover that the aunt had some embryos frozen 30 years ago, so the embryos inherit everything and she gets nothing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Think of the problems -- here's a single example: several embryos are created in an IVF procedure for a couple desperate for children, and one (maybe two) are embedded in the woman's womb. What do you do with the others? Is it now necessary to find some other womb to host them, and if you don't, are you guilty of murder?
It is not their way to consider the ramifications of what they want.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Some information for those unfamiliar with the term......

That explains intrauterine embryos, not extrauterine children. Aren't all children extrauterine?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have never been to a funeral for a dead embryo or miscarriage, so if this is so religiously important, then why don't we have any such ceremonies with prayers for the deceased?
People pray outside of abortion clinics all the time, don't they?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have never been to a funeral for a dead embryo or miscarriage, so if this is so religiously important, then why don't we have any such ceremonies with prayers for the deceased?

My ex had several first-trimester miscarriages. Nobody - not her Catholic relatives or the priests at her church - reacted as I would expect someone to react at the news of the death of a baby and none of them even mentioned the option of a funeral.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah... I won't believe that they consider embryos to be people until they refuse to deport someone because of an "anchor embryo."
Or that we can declare frozen embryos dependents on our taxes.

It's just virtue signalling. Literally not thinking through the consequences of their actions to they can set a senseless precedent.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
There's a new game in town. It's called "Nikki in the middle," with the Alabama Supreme Court on one side and Kellyanne Conway on the other.