• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Air France Scarf Row

SkylarHunter

So now that Air France is going to resume flights to Tehran, the company informed the female crew members that they have to wear a head scarf once the plane lands in Iran.
Of course no one agrees to this. The female crew members don't want to have their dignity insulted, which is perfectly understandable.
Apparently is it the law in Iran that all females cover their heads in public places.
I think there should be a compromise: french women (and of any other nationality) cover there heads in Iran but muslim women uncover theirs in non-muslim countries as well. It is only fair that this works both ways, isn't it?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/03/air-france-faces-staff-mutiny-in-headscarf-row

Draka

Wonder Woman
Whatever the perceived reasons may be for the scarf expectation in Iran, basically it does just boil down to exposure laws doesn't it? I mean, in some countries it may be perfectly fine for women to be topless in all areas, but yet we expect women from those places to wear tops in the US don't we? Breasts are not sexual organs yet we require them to be covered here regardless of if the woman is from a country which does not require covering them. So why would it be any different in regards to covering hair in a country that has that expectation?

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Whatever the perceived reasons may be for the scarf expectation in Iran, basically it does just boil down to exposure laws doesn't it? I mean, in some countries it may be perfectly fine for women to be topless in all areas, but yet we expect women from those places to wear tops in the US don't we? Breasts are not sexual organs yet we require them to be covered here regardless of it the woman is from a country which does not require covering them. So why would it be any different in regards to covering hair in a country that has that expectation?
Why oh why does the US of A consider prudery to be such an admirable trait?

84f739fc54535f7845572e8eeccc71.jpg
grace-kelly.jpg

FRENCH BEACH.......................................................AMERICAN BEACH

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Why oh why does the US of A insist on prudery being such an admirable trait?

84f739fc54535f7845572e8eeccc71.jpg
grace-kelly.jpg

FRENCH BEACH.......................................................AMERICAN BEACH

Not sure prudery is what we would call that @Skwim.

Over on this side of the pond we call it modesty.
An admirable trait indeed.
It is neither. It is more the strange idea that our hang ups, our choice of things to be prudish over or "modest" about are unquestionable and inherently right. Why is hair okay to be seen yet breasts are not? Why judge those who cover different parts or amounts of their bodies when there is nothing in the world which says what parts should or should not be covered or why universally? Why is breastfeeding both touted as what is best for baby yet women are shamed for daring to do so in public? I mean, let's just admit it, clothing is arbitrary. Why do wear what we wear ultimately? It is cultural, societal, religiously driven, and makes no logical sense at all. Aside from wearing clothing to protect from the elements of nature wearing fabric over our bodies at all is just strange. So how we wear what we wear over various parts of our bodies...seems damn stupid to get worked up about.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
So now that Air France is going to resume flights to Tehran, the company informed the female crew members that they have to wear a head scarf once the plane lands in Iran.
Of course no one agrees to this. The female crew members don't want to have their dignity insulted, which is perfectly understandable.
Apparently is it the law in Iran that all females cover their heads in public places.
I think there should be a compromise: french women (and of any other nationality) cover there heads in Iran but muslim women uncover theirs in non-muslim countries as well. It is only fair that this works both ways, isn't it?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/03/air-france-faces-staff-mutiny-in-headscarf-row
I am for freedom of choice on the issue but Iran isn't. So if these crew members choose to go to Iran, then they must follow Iranian law when there. If an Iranian goes to a western country they must follow all western laws too.

Sees

Dragonslayer
They would do best to not make flights to Iran. If they must, and don't want to lose their jobs, they should mock the hell out of it by wearing some goofy costumes that accomplish covering up.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

The head scarf in Iran isn't that complicated, still the hair can be seen.

f1ibP67.jpg

allfoak

Alchemist
It is neither. It is more the strange idea that our hang ups, our choice of things to be prudish over or "modest" about are unquestionable and inherently right. Why is hair okay to be seen yet breasts are not? Why judge those who cover different parts or amounts of their bodies when there is nothing in the world which says what parts should or should not be covered or why universally? Why is breastfeeding both touted as what is best for baby yet women are shamed for daring to do so in public? I mean, let's just admit it, clothing is arbitrary. Why do wear what we wear ultimately? It is cultural, societal, religiously driven, and makes no logical sense at all. Aside from wearing clothing to protect from the elements of nature wearing fabric over our bodies at all is just strange. So how we wear what we wear over various parts of our bodies...seems damn stupid to get worked up about.

I would not even know where to start in addressing what you said.
Suffice it to say that my views are about as opposite of yours as it gets.
It is what makes the world go round.

Understanding that all views are valid from the perspective from which they are expressed, makes life much more pleasant.
Sometimes it is best to keep one's perspective to one's self for the purpose of keeping the peace.
This is what i choose to do at this time.:)

Draka

Wonder Woman
I would not even know where to start in addressing what you said.
Suffice it to say that my views are about as opposite of yours as it gets.
It is what makes the world go round.

Understanding that all views are valid from the perspective from which they are expressed, makes life much more pleasant.
Sometimes it is best to keep one's perspective to one's self for the purpose of keeping the peace.
This is what i choose to do at this time.:)
Didn't you try to speak for all of us on "this side of the pond" in saying that it isn't being prude, but modesty and that it is an admirable trait?

It's not modesty. "Modesty" is societal norms pressured upon people when it comes to the body or particular body parts being "dirty" or shameful and things to be hidden away. These things make no logical sense really. Who says what is right and wrong with our bodies? And what gives them that right to judge what should be covered and what should be shown? It is entirely arbitrary. While covering up the body in general when it is cold makes sense, covering it entirely, or even mostly, when warm or hot makes no sense. Men being able to bare their torso in hot weather yet women not being able to do the same makes no sense. It is completely made up ridiculousness.

allfoak

Alchemist
@Draka

Your a fiery one aren't you?
How is it that you can get so offended by the statement of a stranger on a message board?

I was speaking for myself, i am sorry if i spoke in metaphor rather than making it clear it was my opinion.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Based on how men react to them, yes, they are.
And why do you think that is? How they react that is. Because we cover them so. I mean, damn, some people treat breastfeeding as a dirty thing and it is what breasts are naturally for. They are not sexual or reproductive organs, they are feeding apparatuses for offspring. That is what they are, yet we treat them as sexual things. It's dumb.

Re: the flights, the women should boycott serving on them.
Why? Because the women are too proud to obey a simple apparel law? I suppose some people should boycott working on flights to the U.S. because they don't want to wear tops in the summer? For crying out loud, it's a scarf. It's not a slight upon someone's dignity. It's just a scarf.

Draka

Wonder Woman
@Draka

Your a fiery one aren't you?
How is it that you can get so offended by the statement of a stranger on a message board?

I was speaking for myself, i am sorry if i spoke in metaphor rather than making it clear it was my opinion.
I wasn't "fiery" nor offended (funny how when a woman makes statements eluding to logic she's suddenly emotional), I was just stating what was logical and what wasn't. What was fact and what wasn't. Modesty and prudishness are subjective ideas based upon cultural, societal and religious ideas and norms we are raised with. None of which make much sense from a logical standpoint. I mean, really, we are the only animals who wear clothing and we trip out over how it falls, what it covers, what it doesn't...It's absurd really.

Draka

Wonder Woman
To you, maybe.

Many Muslims are trying to drag us back to the 7th century. As advanced societies we should be fighting such stupidity.
So an expectation to wear a scarf in a particular society is dragging you into the 7th century? Really? So, for those women who are accustomed to being able to go about topless come to the U.S. and are expected to wear a shirt what century are they being dragged back into? :rolleyes: