• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Again???

Drizzt Do'Urden

Deistic Drow Elf
No I think you don't get it, that's why people like yourself, all you do is criticze what you don't understand.
Maybe instead criticzing, had you given it any thought that maybe it's not for you to understand.

I give you a quatrain from the Rubaiyat, by Omar Khayyam, who wrote this when the Muslims were first moving into Persia pushing their dominant religion on the people of Persia.

And do you think that unto such as you;
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew:
God gave the secret, and denied it me?—
Well, well, what matters it! Believe that, too.

David T

Premium Member
No doubt he's right... Have you read much of his works? Read the Age of Reason? They're all pretty quick reads, and he makes many good points in the telling of it.

Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason (<~~~~~clickable)

When Theodore Roosevelt termed Tom Paine a 'dirty little atheist' he surely spoke from lack of understanding. It was a stricture, an inaccurate charge of the sort that has dimmed the greatness of this eminent American. But the true measure of his stature will yet be appreciated. The torch which he handed on will not be extinguished. If Paine had ceased his writings with 'The Rights of Man' he would have been hailed today as one of the two or three outstanding figures of the Revolution. But 'The Age of Reason' cost him glory at the hands of his countrymen - a greater loss to THEM than to Tom Paine.

Thomas A. Edison, The Philosophy of Paine, June 7, 1925 - Diary and Sundry Observations of Thomas Alva Edison
I really liked what he wrote. What'd interesting Paine would not be an atheist if I am reading him correctly, he is something different. Closer to a Quaker actually.

David T

Premium Member
No doubt he's right... Have you read much of his works? Read the Age of Reason? They're all pretty quick reads, and he makes many good points in the telling of it.

Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason (<~~~~~clickable)

When Theodore Roosevelt termed Tom Paine a 'dirty little atheist' he surely spoke from lack of understanding. It was a stricture, an inaccurate charge of the sort that has dimmed the greatness of this eminent American. But the true measure of his stature will yet be appreciated. The torch which he handed on will not be extinguished. If Paine had ceased his writings with 'The Rights of Man' he would have been hailed today as one of the two or three outstanding figures of the Revolution. But 'The Age of Reason' cost him glory at the hands of his countrymen - a greater loss to THEM than to Tom Paine.

Thomas A. Edison, The Philosophy of Paine, June 7, 1925 - Diary and Sundry Observations of Thomas Alva Edison
I went and looked Paine he I think is different and I don't think his deism is an kind of alternative theism but related to experience.

In culture we tend to look at all ideas that aren't traditional theism as an alternative theism but that is pure fantasy nonsense. There are some who experience, and belief has nothing to do with anything. I could say I am an animist , but that has zero to do with belief, and is related to experience. That's why I don't self label myself it can get bent rapidly by others. I like Paine the "atheist label is bogus

Drizzt Do'Urden

Deistic Drow Elf
I really liked what he wrote. What'd interesting Paine would not be an atheist if I am reading him correctly, he is something different. Closer to a Quaker actually.

He was a deist, but like most early deists his deism was a mixed bag of thoughts... When you're raised in a society rife with theism and theistic beliefs throughout, and you're trying to entertain a new philosophy, some bleeding of concepts from the one philosophy to the other will take place.

Deism in those days will still very much a thought experiment that wasn't fully fleshed out yet.

He was not an atheist.

In those days, deists were called Christian deists, but these words are mutually exclusive.

christians are theists

deists are deists.

Deists clash with theists philosophically on the nature of god.

Drizzt Do'Urden

Deistic Drow Elf
I went and looked Paine he I think is different and I don't think his deism is an kind of alternative theism but related to experience.

In culture we tend to look at all ideas that aren't traditional theism as an alternative theism but that is pure fantasy nonsense. There are some who experience, and belief has nothing to do with anything. I could say I am an animist , but that has zero to do with belief, and is related to experience. That's why I don't self label myself it can get bent rapidly by others. I like Paine the "atheist label is bogus

"There is a happiness in Deism, when rightly understood, that is not to be found in any other system of religion. All other systems have something in them that either shock our reason (think the immaculate conception and people resurrecting, etc), or are repugnant to it, and man, if he thinks at all, must stifle his reason in order to force himself to believe them.

But in Deism our reason and our belief become happily united. The wonderful structure of the universe, and everything we behold in the system of the creation, prove to us, far better than books can do (books like the bible) the existence of a God, and at the same time proclaim His attributes."

Thomas Paine

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
If I were retired with the funds and no family obligations, sure? Would depend on the org.

But anyway, good on you for volunteering your time for the less fortunate, I mean that (as long as you're not "you must accept our Lord into your heart before you can accept our food into your stomach.").
Not at all... freely we have received and freely we give.

Just remember that it isn't the amount, it's the quality. Jesus said the woman who gave 2 pennies gave more that those who gave thousands because she gave all she had.

Even one dollar towards building a house for an elderly lady is more than zero because it expresses our hearts. One of the sisters is almost completely blind and the other sister takes care of her

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 5.27.18 PM.png

Kelly of the Phoenix

I suspect very few people who live passionately, who have fulfilling lives, are inclined to be suckered in by these "prophets" of doom. My guess is that the folks most vulnerable to them are the folks who feel discontent with their lives, who feel their lives are nothing special or worse than nothing special. Predictions of the world's end would seem to be most attractive to those of us looking for a way out of our mundane, routine lives.
I live with chronic depression and anxiety and I have better things to do than listen to these idiots.

Nope on the contrary God wants people who will listen to him and of course use their brain and common sense.
And that is not so quick to criticize and curse what they don't understand.

Oh I understand Revelations. I also understand that you will not be one of the people who name's is written the Lamb's book of life, but that's okay because you won't be alone. Most of your friends will be in the same predicament as well.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Oh I understand Revelations. I also understand that you will not be one of the people who name's is written the Lamb's book of life, but that's okay because you won't be alone. Most of your friends will be in the same predicament as well.

"Judge not least you be judged" ring a bell?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In those days, deists were called Christian deists, but these words are mutually exclusive.

christians are theists

deists are deists.

Deists clash with theists philosophically on the nature of god.
Well, since this thread was effectively derailed by the sun coming up this morning :D.....

This is not really true.
Because most religions aren't entirely about the theological teachings.

Christianity, in general, certainly isn't. For most Christians, the culture and community matter more than the finer points of theology. I honestly believe that the majority of deists belong to some religious community or another. They just don't bother arguing about the theology with their fellows, because it would cause disruption to the community. And that's what really matters to most people.
Tom