• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afterlife Exists says Top Scientist

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Because each religion claims to be true, but they all can't. Matter of fact if any one religion is true, then that forces all others to be false, unless of course they are mere offshoots of the same religion, such as Baptist or Methodist, but even then some of their beliefs must be false if they are different. For example Christianity claims that there is no reincarnation, people go to heaven or hell the very first time they die. Well if the religion of reincarnation, Hinduism is true then Christianity must be false.

That is not an accurate statement, I fear.

While the mutually excludent religions are numerically quite common, they are arguably not even typical of religions as a whole. Quite a few are not even all that interested into that sense of "truth".

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Because each religion claims to be true, but they all can't. Matter of fact if any one religion is true, then that forces all others to be false, unless of course they are mere offshoots of the same religion, such as Baptist or Methodist, but even then some of their beliefs must be false if they are different. For example Christianity claims that there is no reincarnation, people go to heaven or hell the very first time they die. Well if the religion of reincarnation, Hinduism is true then Christianity must be false.
They could ALL be wrong...

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
All the ones, say 2,999 that aren't validated by an experience with God could be wrong, but if 1 is validated by God though a conversion experience with him and through him, then I don't see how that one could be wrong.
There's a good few hundred validated by experience with God. You need a better criteria. :p

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
All the ones, say 2,999 that aren't validated by an experience with God could be wrong, but if 1 is validated by God though a conversion experience with him and through him, then I don't see how that one could be wrong.

That is an awful lot to assume. Most troubling of all, it assumes that God cares very little about making himself understood and also that it is important to understand His will accurately.

Man of Faith

There's a good few hundred validated by experience with God. You need a better criteria. :p

There are no religions that claim to have an experience with God or that claim to even be able to know God personally except 1, unless of course they are an offshoot of the 1.

Man of Faith

That is an awful lot to assume. Most troubling of all, it assumes that God cares very little about making himself understood and also that it is important to understand His will accurately.

At two times on this earth, everyone in the world understood God's will accurately, but then that old free will got in the way, the flesh.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
At two times on this earth, everyone in the world understood God's will accurately, but then that old free will got in the way, the flesh.

I have no idea of what "free will" actually means.

The concept has never been clearly defined, the closest being something along the lines of "something that somehow mysteriously forbids God from actually being all-powerful".

A curious idea, to be sure. But I suppose that people who claim to believe must have some kind of answer to that self-evident question, even if it is only a couple of oddly chosen words with no actual meaning.

In any case, we were talking about whether it is possible and reasonable to expect any one religion to be "true" at the expense of the others. What is your stance on this?

horizon_mj1

It is in no way relevant which Religion is "True" is it not, considering that most teach of the same Divine being. I do not understand how some claim to believe in Science but just the same as Religions do, many pick and choose what they will believe and what they will not believe. It is a Scientific Fact that Energy does not "die" so why is it so hard to believe in some sort of "After-life"? Are we such insubstantial beings that we become no more than worm food when we die and all of the energy expelled throughout our lives from our minds become nothing, or does it make more sense that maybe these energies are altered just as our bodies are?

McBell

Really?
So which "personal conversations with God" are invalid?
Yours?
Kent Hovinds?
Peter Ruckmans?
Jesse Jacksons?
Texx Marres'?
Jack Chicks?
Brigham Young?
Moses?

McBell

There are no religions that claim to have an experience with God or that claim to even be able to know God personally except 1, unless of course they are an offshoot of the 1.
Gee, let me take a wild stab in the dark as to which religion you are propagandizing for...

wait for it

Christianity?

mycorrhiza

It is in no way relevant which Religion is "True" is it not, considering that most teach of the same Divine being. I do not understand how some claim to believe in Science but just the same as Religions do, many pick and choose what they will believe and what they will not believe. It is a Scientific Fact that Energy does not "die" so why is it so hard to believe in some sort of "After-life"? Are we such insubstantial beings that we become no more than worm food when we die and all of the energy expelled throughout our lives from our minds become nothing, or does it make more sense that maybe these energies are altered just as our bodies are?

When we die we are simply recycled into other things. What's wrong with becoming food for worms, fungi and plants? To me it makes perfect sense.

McBell

When we die we are simply recycled into other things. What's wrong with becoming food for worms, fungi and plants? To me it makes perfect sense.
Ah, but see, that is just the body.
the ever mysterious and elusive spiritual soul thingy continues on.

However, getting a useful definition of spirit/soul is much likened to nailing jello to a tree....

McBell

Assuming that it is Christianity...
Which one of the 41,000 versions of Christianity is the "true" version?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
It is in no way relevant which Religion is "True" is it not, considering that most teach of the same Divine being.
Jehovah is not Vishnu is not Allah is not Spinoza's God. Many religions contradict each other on the most fundamental level, so from those that claim to be the only true religion, at most one of them can be true, not many.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

On the other hand, it's easy to reconcile these beliefs. In Hinduism, reincarnation doesn't happen right away: it happens first after spending a certain amount of time in Heaven or Hell. So, if reincarnation does happen, that doesn't mean Christianity as a whole is false; it just means certain aspects of the Christian religion are false. Jesus could still be the Messiah and Son of God, Savior of mankind, which is the core of Christianity.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Then I must be right, because I have had such an experience with Mother Kali.