• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Affordable Lab-Grown Meat!

Would you eat cultivated chicken @ $10/pound?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No.

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Maybe/Unsure,

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Suave

Simulated character
Lab-grown meat may soon be available at an affordable price of less than $10 per pound..

Future Meat | Bringing Cultivated Meat to the Table
The Cost of Lab-Grown Chicken Dropped by More Than Half This Year

I'd like us vegetarians as well as meat lovers to consider lab-grown meat as an environmental friendly and animal friendly dietary alternative in lieu of consuming meat from slaughtered animals. Also please keep in mind, replacing meat from slaughtered animals with cultivated meat reduces animal sourced global warming methane emissions.

Cultured-chicken-will-be-sold-in-Singapore-scaled-900x506.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Lab-grown meat may soon be available at an affordable price of less than $10 per pound..

I'd like us vegetarians as well as meat lovers to consider lab-grown meat as an environmental friendly and animal friendly dietary alternative in lieu of consuming meat from slaughtered animals. Also please keep in mind, replacing meat from slaughtered animals with cultivated meat reduces animal sourced global warming methane emissions.

It's what I'm waiting for.

No animal dies and its real genuine meat.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I find things like this a little funny. I have a been vegetarian for most of my life and it is not difficult to have a full healthy diet without resorting to extreme measures.

I am not saying I would never try something like this but I don’t think it is necessary, and if it is too much like real meat I I wouldn’t really want to eat it.

Suave

Simulated character
Too spendy.

The price of cultivated chicken within just the last few years has decreased from over $10,000 per pound to $10 per pound I realize $10 per pound of cultivated chicken meat might still be a few times more than the price of meat from slaughtered chickens, but is this not well worth the price of reducing animal sourced global warming methane emissions and animals being spared from getting slaughtered?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Putting aside questions about price, I have heard some concerns about whether this is healthy to eat. Processed foods have unknown effects, because there isn't a good understanding of gut health. It says 'Meat' on the package, but what is in this? What gives it flavor? Does it contain soy? What is cultured meat? What happens if we eat it?

I rarely eat hot dogs, because I don't trust the ingredients. I also know that the preservatives in hot dogs aren't good for me. Why would I make an exception for cultured meat? Can they prove that cultured meat is healthier than hot dog meat?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
As a vegetarian, I decline to eat any meat, lab grown or otherwise.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The price of cultivated chicken within just the last few years has decreased from over $10,000 per pound to $10 per pound I realize $10 per pound of cultivated chicken meat might still be a few times more than the price of meat from slaughtered chickens, but is this not well worth the price of reducing animal sourced global warming methane emissions and animals being spared from getting slaughtered?
I'll eat real animals as long as they're tasty & cheaper.

Suave

Simulated character
Putting aside questions about price, I have heard some concerns about whether this is healthy to eat. Processed foods have unknown effects, because there isn't a good understanding of gut health. It says 'Meat' on the package, but what is in this? What gives it flavor? Does it contain soy? What is cultured meat? What happens if we eat it?

I rarely eat hot dogs, because I don't trust the ingredients. I also know that the preservatives in hot dogs aren't good for me. Why would I make an exception for cultured meat? Can they prove that cultured meat is healthier than hot dog meat?

"Artificial meat is touted as being as safe or safer than the real thing, produced in a highly controlled environment.

It is highly unlikely to become contaminated with harmful bacteria such as E. coli because there are no digestive organs to worry about. With whole animals, there’s always a risk of meat becoming contaminated with bacteria after slaughter ...

....Some people have raised concerns over the growth factors added to stem cells, which include hormones. These hormones are naturally present in animals as well as in real meat"

What is lab grown meat? A scientist explains the taste, production and safety of artificial foods

Suave

Simulated character
I'll eat real animals as long as they're tasty & cheaper.
What if cultivated meat is just as tasty, and cheaper than meat from slaughtered animals when factoring the environmental cost of animal sourced global warming methane emissions? Perhaps, we might agree with imposing a methane gas tax on meat from slaughtered animals in order to reflect its true overall cost, including global warming costs. Our proposed methane gas tax on meat from butchered animals enables a fair price comparison to cultivated meat.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What if cultivated meat is just as tasty, and cheaper than meat from slaughtered animals when factoring the environmental cost of animal sourced global warming methane emissions? Perhaps, we might agree with imposing a methane gas tax on meat from slaughtered animals in order to reflect its true overall cost, including global warming costs. our proposed methane gas tax on meat from butchered animals enables a fair price comparison to cultivated meat.

I'll be happy to eat synthetic meat as soon as it's competitive.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
"Artificial meat is touted as being as safe or safer than the real thing, produced in a highly controlled environment.

It is highly unlikely to become contaminated with harmful bacteria such as E. coli because there are no digestive organs to worry about. With whole animals, there’s always a risk of meat becoming contaminated with bacteria after slaughter ...

....Some people have raised concerns over the growth factors added to stem cells, which include hormones. These hormones are naturally present in animals as well as in real meat"

What is lab grown meat? A scientist explains the taste, production and safety of artificial foods
If its truly cultured meat, truly meat grown from meat or stem cells and not processed plant based then I am interested. If it tastes good and isn't going to cause cancer or give me large breasts then I might start to prefer it to others.

10$ does sound high compared to pork or chicken, but most expensive meats are more than 10$ a lb. I have heard of steak costing over 20$ per lb. It depends on the quality of the steak and whether its the kind that can be sold in high end restaurants.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If its truly cultured meat, truly meat grown from meat or stem cells and not processed plant based then I am interested. If it tastes good and isn't going to cause cancer or give me large breasts then I might start to prefer it to others.

What if it gives you large chicken breasts?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Cultivated meat is grown from animal cells, so I suppose this would taste much the same as meat from butchered animals. Right?
Likely. It is real meat.

Although the meat is not from grain fed animals, I'm not sure if it will taste the same or be something more generic.

Still, nothing some spices can't solve.

Once I see it on the shelves, I'm gonna give it a try.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
@Suave

What if it involves animal abuse?

"Fetal bovine serum (FBS) is a common component of animal cell culture media. It is harvested from bovine fetuses taken from pregnant cows during slaughter. FBS is commonly harvested by means of a cardiac puncture without any form of anaesthesia. Fetuses are probably exposed to pain and/or discomfort, so the current practice of fetal blood harvesting is inhumane."

- The use of fetal bovine serum: ethical or scientific problem? - PubMed