• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and Eve

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
beckysoup61 said:
Which things? Refresh my memory, half the time I can't remember what I said about 5 minutes ago, or what other people said. I think that's why I forgive so easily, I can't usually remember what people did.:)
I'll pm you with it.

Ernestine

Adam and Eve were real human beings--the first human pair. Adam was directly given the command from Jehovah not to partake of the forbidden fruit. Not that the fruit was bad to eat, it was more a matter of obedience and respect of Jehovah's word. After all, as the divine creator of everything he certainly had the right to set the rules. Eve though, was throroughly deceived by Satan and that led to her eating the fruit. When she offered Adam the fruit, he could have said "no". His was deliberate sin and therefore all of his offspring have inherited sin. (The wages sin pays is death.) He chose to ignore Jehovah's command, deciding for himself what he felt was right/wrong. Look where so called independence has gotten mankind--it is obvious from all of the wrongs in the world that man does not have the ability to rule himself, nor to make the appropriate choices.

Ori

Angel slayer
Ernestine said:
Adam and Eve were real human beings--the first human pair. Adam was directly given the command from Jehovah not to partake of the forbidden fruit. Not that the fruit was bad to eat, it was more a matter of obedience and respect of Jehovah's word. After all, as the divine creator of everything he certainly had the right to set the rules. Eve though, was throroughly deceived by Satan and that led to her eating the fruit. When she offered Adam the fruit, he could have said "no". His was deliberate sin and therefore all of his offspring have inherited sin. (The wages sin pays is death.) He chose to ignore Jehovah's command, deciding for himself what he felt was right/wrong. Look where so called independence has gotten mankind--it is obvious from all of the wrongs in the world that man does not have the ability to rule himself, nor to make the appropriate choices.

Oh no, not again. :banghead3

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ernestine said:

So, apparently you believe in original sin.

Squirt

Ernestine said:
Did you ever stop to consider the fact that God also commanded Adam and Eve to multiply and replenish the earth? If God had banished Eve from the Garden and allowed Adam to stay there, how would they have accomplished this?

BM5

Adam and Eve were not the first human beings. They were the best of what was and to them was given a soul. Eve failed the test and instead of being repentant and confessing to Adam that she has messed it up she gave him the fruit and hence the judgement on her by God. Talk about passing the buck !

Karl R

I believe the story of Adam & Eve is completely allegorical. It's not about a single historical event. It's about an ongoing everyday event that we're all part of.

We're all disobedient. Have you ever watched small children grow up? One of the first words they learn to speak (and understand) is "No". They instinctively learn to disobey almost as soon as they begin learning to speak.

If paradise had been contingent on our ability to obey god's laws, we would all fail ... even if there was just one simple rule to follow. And there are few words that can get our interest faster than, "There's some knowledge that you really shouldn't know...."

We are all Adam. We are all Eve. Each of us has committed the original sin of disobedience.

Though I do not believe in the story of Adam and Eve, it is a pivitol point in Religion and good for debating. I do not believe that Eve was decived in any way, shape, or form. She made the choice on her own free will. The serpant only showed here that there was a choice to be made. In Genesis 3, the serpant asked Eve is God really said that she would die if she ate from the tree. Eve said it was true. The serpant then said "You will not surely die for God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil. (Genesis 3: 4 and 5) The serpant didnt decieve her, nor tempt her. She choose to eat it upon looking at it and her desire to gain wisdom (Genesis 3: 6 ), a base Human Trait, drove her to eat it. Sure enough, the serpant was right. God didnt kill Eve.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
There is, of course, the alien theory. Which suggests that the cave man bred with an alien, and a new species was created, with the physical body of the human, but the inquisitiveness and ability create from the alien.

evearael

To me, the story represents humanities coming of age where we as a species had to grow up and take responsibility for our actions. I see it as a positive story because without the awareness of good and evil, you can be neither. It was necessary to leave the garden to realize our full, God-given potential. I see that as the reason for putting the tree there to begin with... God showed Adam the big world out there before placing him in the garden, so he had an idea of what he was in for, and then Adam and Eve chose to 'grow up' and leave.

evearael said:
To me, the story represents humanities coming of age where we as a species had to grow up and take responsibility for our actions. I see it as a positive story because without the awareness of good and evil, you can be neither. It was necessary to leave the garden to realize our full, God-given potential. I see that as the reason for putting the tree there to begin with... God showed Adam the big world out there before placing him in the garden, so he had an idea of what he was in for, and then Adam and Eve chose to 'grow up' and leave.

I like your interpretation...
The only problem I have with the story is the "fact" that Adam and Eve didnt know of good and evil until they ate from the tree. The serpant showed Eve the other side of the equation, and when she was questioned about it by God, (Genesis 3: 13) she blamed the serpant. Which means that according to the bible, God never inteneded Humanity to know of the nature of good and evil.

gnostic

The Lost One
If you look at the bible as a whole, Adam and Eve were meant to eat the forbidden fruit.

Otherwise, there would be no Noah, no Abraham, no David, and no Jesus.

Would the world be a better place if they didn't eat the fruit? I don't see how it could be.

Squirt

gnostic said:
If you look at the bible as a whole, Adam and Eve were meant to eat the forbidden fruit.

Otherwise, there would be no Noah, no Abraham, no David, and no Jesus.

Would the world be a better place if they didn't eat the fruit? I don't see how it could be.
Sounds pretty LDS to me. I can't argue with a word of what you've said.

gnostic

The Lost One
Malkav's Knight said:
The only problem I have with the story is the "fact" that Adam and Eve didnt know of good and evil until they ate from the tree.
Yes, I agreed, MK. I have brought up this same question in another topic (I think it was in Eden and the Tree of Knowledge).

How can Adam or Eve distinguish what God or the serpent say to be good or bad, if they haven't eaten the fruit of knowledge yet. How can they be really to be blamed for their so-called sins? It's a catch-22. You are damned if you eat the fruit, and you are damned if you don't.

gnostic

The Lost One
Squirt said:
Sounds pretty LDS to me.
My older sister and her family are LDS, but I'm not. I certainly didn't learn it from them. I'm just a curious agnostic, sitting on a painful fence.

Squirt

gnostic said:
How can Adam or Eve distinguish what God or the serpent say to be good or bad, if they haven't eaten the fruit of knowledge yet.
They can't. It can be argued that they disobeyed God, but it can't be argued (at least not convincingly) that it was a sin for them to do so. Sin is the voluntary transgression of a religious law or moral principle. Until a person can distinguish between good and evil, he can't very well sin.