• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam and Eve

Squirt

What do you think of Adam and Eve? How do you view their decision to eat the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden and, more importantly, what do you think would be different today had they not disobeyed God?

Squirt

Buttons* said:
are we allowed to comment if we aren't christian?
Oh heck, this forum is so boring today, I don't care who comments. I just want somebody to say something.

waacman

Restoration of everything
Squirt said:
What do you think of Adam and Eve? How do you view their decision to eat the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden and, more importantly, what do you think would be different today had they not disobeyed God?

I take the creation story of the Bible literally and believe that there was a real man named adam and a real woman named eve. In the decision of eating the forbidden fruit I think that eve was decieved but adam wasn't. He was told by God not to eat of the fruit, but eve wasn't around at that time. But they both sinned. I don't think anything would have been different, b/c at some point they would have sinned, its inevitable.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Squirt said:

Well, Adam and Eve achieved Gnosis, they attained knowledge from the tree and showed examples of being saved from the ignorance that the Demiurge tried to force them into.

I'm glad they, (although, i think the story is strictly allegorical, not literal) took the apple. Without it, us gnostics would have one less allegory to compare ourselves to. Literalists would have one last fairy tale to read. :D

If they had disobeyed the Demiurge, all people would remain ignorant and never be capable of attaining Gnosis!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The serpent would have retained its legs and the woods and fields would today be full of exceedingly skinny, monitor-like reptiles, scampering about.

Squirt

waacman said:
I take the creation story of the Bible literally and believe that there was a real man named adam and a real woman named eve. In the decision of eating the forbidden fruit I think that eve was decieved but adam wasn't. He was told by God not to eat of the fruit, but eve wasn't around at that time. But they both sinned. I don't think anything would have been different, b/c at some point they would have sinned, its inevitable.
So why, if it was inevitable that they would eventually sin, do you believe that God put them in the position He did? I'm assuming you believe that God knew what would happen. He must have had a reason for doing what He did. If they did, in fact, sin and if this sin was, in fact, inevitable, do you reject the concept of free will?

Ðanisty

Buttons* said:
Well, Adam and Eve achieved Gnosis, they attained knowledge from the tree and showed examples of being saved from the ignorance that the Demiurge tried to force them into.

I'm glad they, (although, i think the story is strictly allegorical, not literal) took the apple. Without it, us gnostics would have one less allegory to compare ourselves to. Literalists would have one last fairy tale to read. :D

If they had disobeyed the Demiurge, all people would remain ignorant and never be capable of attaining Gnosis!
Pretty much what she said, so you can substitute "gnostics" for "Luciferians." This is how we view it as well.

Also, I love your sig, Buttons.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Ðanisty said:
Pretty much what she said, so you can substitute "gnostics" for "Luciferians." This is how we view it as well.

Also, I love your sig, Buttons.
AH! so we have much in common eh? ;)

Thanks, i'm quite fond of it myself :D

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Ðanisty said:
Yes, because Luciferians regard the serpent as Lucifer. Gnosis is extremely important to us.
*nods*

I think in some Gnostic tradition, the snake represents Yeshua.... or Seth, the perfect human... something odd like that... i'll have to look it up again to be sure

waacman

Restoration of everything
Squirt said:
So why, if it was inevitable that they would eventually sin, do you believe that God put them in the position He did?

I believe ultimately that it was for God's own glory through the whole redemption process described in the Bible

Squirt said:
I'm assuming you believe that God knew what would happen. He must have had a reason for doing what He did. If they did, in fact, sin and if this sin was, in fact, inevitable, do you reject the concept of free will?

I reject the concept of a total free will. What I mean by this is that we can't "will" something to happen or "will" something the way God can. I believe we have a limited free will of a choice between a limited number of things.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Adam and Eve where a fictional story make up by man to try and figure out their origin. Different? nothing. Never happened

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
jeffrey said:
Adam and Eve where a fictional story make up by man to try and figure out their origin. Different? nothing. Never happened
i agree. Allegories and bed-time stories for all! :D

Bishka

Veteran Member
jeffrey said:
Why do you believe that?

Why do I believe that?

First, probably because I have been taught that since a little child that the Garden of Eden was a literal place and that it literally happens.

Second, I've thought about it, and to me it seems like a pretty good idea of where man came from and all of it seems to make sense to me.

Third, like Ashley said, "because the Bible tells me so". :)

Fourth, there are things I've learened in Church and in the Temple that help cement that belief.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
beckysoup61 said:
Why do I believe that?

First, probably because I have been taught that since a little child that the Garden of Eden was a literal place and that it literally happens.

Second, I've thought about it, and to me it seems like a pretty good idea of where man came from and all of it seems to make sense to me.

Third, like Ashley said, "because the Bible tells me so". :)

Fourth, there are things I've learened in Church and in the Temple that help cement that belief.
That's cool. Just curious because of things you stated earlier to my wife ;)

Bishka

Veteran Member
jeffrey said:
That's cool. Just curious because of things you stated earlier to my wife ;)

Which things? Refresh my memory, half the time I can't remember what I said about 5 minutes ago, or what other people said. I think that's why I forgive so easily, I can't usually remember what people did.:)