• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actual Working Models

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
They must have been self sufficient at one time, one of the problems with money is the wage earner belives they will be able to feed more mouths, so they have more children, I also think nomadic lifestyle would be in decline, where they followed the food rich places and cattle.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Actually its the opposite. Poor and nomadic people tend to have more children.
This is because child mortality is so high that you never know who will make it to adulthood and because children are a work force for the family. They tend the cattle and the fields for their parents as well as doing a lot of other work around the home. Also they tend to not have access to birth control measures and prenatal health care.

Places with good access to food and medical care have fewer children per couple. Parents would rather focus on making sure a few children get all they need than having a lot of children go without.

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
That's awesome... for most places.

In the parts of Africa with the fungus many organic practices will just pass on the fungus to the crop. Leaving the husks to fertilize the soil lets the fungus stay in the soil until next season.
Now using organic practice to grow fungus resistant strains this wouldn't be as much a problem.

As for money and kids. Poor countries have higher birth rates than middle income countries and massively so for rich countries.
This is a clear trend that can be seen in any report on the state of the worlds countries.

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
I started a new organic garden two year ago , with little backing, from the organization once it got going, it was a disaster loads of slugs (no hedgehogs to eat them because of the busy road, magpies saw off the thrushes)...loads of diseases set in in different plants(pea weevil,another disease that distorted the radish with hardly any crop are two examples), I was filling the slug damaged crop areas by planting with potato tubers,so eventually all was spuds and nasturtium. then the spuds got late blight, but managed to save the tubers, then rats came and bred, but then allso cats and an owl came, so I was starting to see a balance. We needed time and money to get that balance but the organization did not have it. The guy who helped me had an Horticulture degree and had worked in gardening all his life, I have also done this job and studied horticulture, but the management just would not listen to our ideas they wanted stuff a certain way , which led to problems, it was a massive effort on our part though to try and get it right, a

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It is a disaster for many crops.

Cereals (the major focus of the article) are fairly hardy and don't tend to be attacked by things like slugs. For them organic can be great.

For many other crops its not so effective.

Imagine if that garden was your only source of food!

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
If it was my only source I am sure I could have made it work, the problems were down to a power struggle, I could have bought stuff and itroduced predators out of my own money and time, but because they would not co-operate I left it to its own devices, I am not saying I would not have used non-organic in some cases, usualy when I garden I am mainly organic, bot like to add a bit of balanced fertilizer , like phosphrogen , just in case, (one packet will probably last me about five years)

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
Heres a quote from grey of GUT

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shade_sail

Quite apart from any other consideration GM is an unconscionable capitalist theft. The whole environment of plant breeding was changed to suit one American corporation make huge profits, (Monsanto). If intellectual property rights should be patentable for the splicing in of small pieces of dna then what is the value of the thousands of years of effort indigenous Americans put in to changing maize from an ordinary sized grass seed into the massive cobs we're used to? But they don't get a cracker and now havre to buy all their seed from Monsanto. Same with many other crops such as potato, the worlds most important staple food, Peaches etc."

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Monsanto isn't the only company out there. They are not the ones working on the strain to help African farmers for instance.
However individuals have had rights to strains of corn (and other crops) since at least the 1800's.

Again this is trying to make one company the boogy-man so that people are distracted from looking at the rest of the evidence.

You can still buy corn from Burpee, Vicotry, Johnney Seed and countless other companies. This is fear mongering.

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
Think of food as a basic commodity, that belongs to the public, this would have happened in the past with fuel, water, land....the evidence of the past is that business has seized and monopolised these commodities, it has control over them, and controls us with them , while making profit and stealing our labour to keep them ticking over.The theft of and control our food is not going to be any different

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Raising seed crops is very intensive work. That is why farms don't do it.
If farmers can make money selling their crops why can't a seed producer make money selling theirs?

Food has been sold a lot longer than the other commodities. It is the oldest trade/sale item on Earth.

Should all seed companies be put out of business? If so how will our farms get the seed they need?
Have you ever tried to save seeds from your crops?

logician

Raising seed crops is very intensive work. That is why farms don't do it.
If farmers can make money selling their crops why can't a seed producer make money selling theirs?

Food has been sold a lot longer than the other commodities. It is the oldest trade/sale item on Earth.

Should all seed companies be put out of business? If so how will our farms get the seed they need?
Have you ever tried to save seeds from your crops?

If I am not mistaken, my relatives grew seed corn on their farm in Illinois, where the land is very rich (the soil is black).

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Awesome! Were they large scale farmers?
I tried to save seeds for my heirloom garden and I give them kudo's. It takes a lot of space and patience. Of course corn can be fairly easy as you just have to hang the cobs and dry them properly.
Tomato's are a total pain!

We had mostly clay filled river deposits to farm on. Not all that bad, it held the moisture through the dry part of summer rather nicely. Our corn ended up twelve feet tall! :cool:

Eddy Daze

whirling dervish
I dont like growing toms and they never seem to have much taste, even though I have tried a few types. I would like to try growing plum tomatoes though, and what are the variety you usualy buy on the vine?