• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to Science

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
But it is. If there is no scientific consensus, you can't say what is "according to science" and what is not. Rival theories contend during the process of doing science but eventually things settle down and a consensus forms. Any such consensus is never final, however. New data can always overturn it.

Ok, but I think this would mean it's not conclusive yet.
Still open to testing and validation.

I'd prefer it to mean that it's been tested and validated or they'd say according to scientific consensus.

Just saying according to science seems to equivocate the meaning.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ok, but I think this would mean it's not conclusive yet.
Still open to testing and validation.

I'd prefer it to mean that it's been tested and validated or they'd say according to scientific consensus.

Just saying according to science seems to equivocate the meaning.
As with anything in life there are degrees of certainty. When a politician uses it, it could mean anything from something practically beyond question from a science viewpoint, like "you can't go faster than light", or something that is the prevailing consensus today in a fast-changing field in which knowledge is evolving, such as the R(0) number for Covid 19.

But either way, it is an assertion that what is claimed has objective evidence behind it, rather than it being a mere matter of ideology or taste. It seems to me that is why politicians use it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but that's really not what it should mean. Science shouldn't be about consensus IMO.

I actually think it *is* what it should mean. The current best information about some topic in science should be represented by a consensus of the scientists who study that topic.

Things get murkier when you start including scientists who do NOT study that particular topic.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Now theres a conflict of interest, the only one i know was maggie thatcher who as a scientist invented angel delight (nuf said) and as a politician ****ed the country so hard that its still not complete recovered

There was a physicist at my university that was also a mayor of a city close by. There is also a senator in a district nearby that was a research scientist at Fermilab.

Scientists are people too....some have political ambitions/goals.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I actually think it *is* what it should mean. The current best information about some topic in science should be represented by a consensus of the scientists who study that topic.

Things get murkier when you start including scientists who do NOT study that particular topic.

I think that scientists would be less likely to use that phrase. More likely to simply present evidence and tests that validate that evidence when making a claim.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There was a physicist at my university that was also a mayor of a city close by. There is also a senator in a district nearby that was a research scientist at Fermilab.

Scientists are people too....some have political ambitions/goals.

Its a shame to waste a good scientist on politics though.

Unless they can have improve funding

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Its a shame to waste a good scientist on politics though.

Unless they can have improve funding

Science sucks, I mean it is a lot of work. You gots to document everything, validate everything. Being a politician is like one big party except when you have to cast a vote along party lines.

Ok, maybe not one big party but not as tough as being a scientist.

vugt5ozuxfqrbe1dtd9c

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You hear this phrase used a lot by politicians.

What does this mean to you?

It would probably mean nothing to me, depending on the context. If they said "According to science, smoking is bad for your health," then I'd believe it, but I wouldn't need a politician to tell me that.