• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to Science

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You hear this phrase used a lot by politicians.

What does this mean to you?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You hear this phrase used a lot by politicians.

What does this mean to you?

I wouldn't trust a politician as far as i could throw them so when they say *according to science* I ask myself *what science* and where possible, assuming it impacts on me and mine, i check?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Politicians realize folks care about it, and they use it on you the same way they use education, racism, police, freedom, and any other issue they think will influence people. It has little to do with accuracy, or even reality; it instead has more to do with people's perceptions of accuracy and reality.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but that's really not what it should mean. Science shouldn't be about consensus IMO.

Why not?

Science is a human endeavor that requires replication of experiments and confirmation of evidence and results. As such, it's always a group effort.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What about politicians who are also scientists?

Now theres a conflict of interest, the only one i know was maggie thatcher who as a scientist invented angel delight (nuf said) and as a politician ****ed the country so hard that its still not complete recovered

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yeah, but that's really not what it should mean. Science shouldn't be about consensus IMO.
But it is. If there is no scientific consensus, you can't say what is "according to science" and what is not. Rival theories contend during the process of doing science but eventually things settle down and a consensus forms. Any such consensus is never final, however. New data can always overturn it.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Now theres a conflict of interest, the only one i know was maggie thatcher who as a scientist invented angel delight (nuf said) and as a politician ****ed the country so hard that its still not complete recovered
Merkel has an ScD in physics.