• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abuse of power: My son's teacher.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
OK,

This is a story about my son and his English teacher. It will be biased I am sure, and I am not inextricably a part of the situation.

As a background, I don't think my son is a saint. Far from it. I have had to discipline him way more than once, and so have his teachers. Up to this point I have supported his teachers close to %100.

Week before last, my son came home distraught. He was having some huge issues with one teacher and felt it was escalating beyond his ability to handle them. Here is a short chronology of the incidents.

Early in the semester, the class sung a birthday song for someone in the class. They clapped after the song. She issued a 5 minute detention to three boys for clapping too loudly and too long. My son was one of these three and was completely taken back by the accusation. He raised his hand and told her that he thought she was mistaken. To this, she told him that they needed to discuss this "outside". So he went outside and waited ten minutes for her to follow. She told him to just accept this and walked back inside without giving him a chance to defend himself.

The next week, my son went over to a friend's desk during class and said "boo". She told him to not do that again and he apologised, sat down, and said it would never happen again. He has thus kept his promise.

So now, this brings us up to this last offence. He forgot to do his vocabulary homework. So he told his teacher that he had to print it out. So he took his work from LAST week and started to type the new words into the old list. He was about to start on changing the actual definitions when she told him to stop and print ONLY. He printed it out and since she told everyone to change papers, he handed it to the closest person which is also his friend.

She stopped his friend and later came to his desk to discuss this. She accused him of "trying to pull a fast one" and while he was not sure what she meant, he apologised for cheating. She took issue with his not understanding the "fast one" comment. He repeated that he free admitted that it was cheating and again apologised.

The next day she gave him a referral: his first. She cited him for cheating, and then she also cited his desire to disrupt class (the clapping) and that he was constantly trying to disrupt class by getting out of his seat (the boo). She also accused him of scribbling in a "guest book" (which another kid did, and took responsibility for) and of copying answers on another piece of homework.

My son tried to reason with her that while the cheating was true, nothing else was. They got into a heated discussion that ended with him telling her that "you are no better than me!"

I listened to him and while I was outraged at his behaviour (who wouldn't be) I was also outraged at her behaviour as well. I felt that they both shared blame for the resulting heated discussion. I told him to try and reason with her again, and SHOW RESPECT and if he got nowhere that he was to have her call me.

I recieved the call the very next day.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sounds like your son's teacher is a piece of work, NetDoc. I agree she's abusing her position. Maybe it's time to sit down with her and her boss and discuss the matter.

Scuba Pete

So the next day she called. I let her speak her entire peace (at least I tried). Then I started asking some questions.

I didn't like the answers.

When asked how much longer my son clapped, she said over ten seconds longer. I usually spot my son's lying within a few seconds. I didn't believe that he had lied to me about this.

I asked just how many times my son goes to other desks and disrupts the class, and she could not give an answer. "It has to be a lot, or I would not have put it down!" was her final reply.

I asked about the scribbling. My son's name was below it was the evidence that she used. She did not witness it. The boy my son blamed for the scribbling, apparently admitted to part of it but tried to shift blame after his admittance.

During my questioning she stated that I sounded "just like H", my son. I don't think she meant it as a compliment, though I took it as one.

At one point she made the statement that my son "refused to accept responsibility for anything". I pointed out that my son had admitted to the most eggregious accusation, but took exception only to those accusations he felt were in error. I asked for a formal meeting and we set it for Monday.

Scuba Pete

So 7:15 this last Monday, I met with his teacher and two counselors. My wife joined us a few minutes later(she had worked all night).

She had obviously prepared quite a bit in advance but that was "OK". I just wanted the truth.

It was apparent that she wanted to be the only one to speak. She wanted to cover ALL of the items over again and wanted no questions from me. I stated that we needed to discuss each and every incident and then move on to the next. The counselor begrudgingly agreed with me.

I was careful to make NO accusations. I did not call her a liar, did not claim that she exaggerated these incidents, but I did try to illuminate the discrepencies in her account. I was quite surprised when she said that she was tired of ME impuging HER honor.

I demanded an apology but none was proferred. Then the gloves came off. As proof she brought in a paragraph written by the boy who admitted to the scribbling. In it, he minimised his involvement even more, but did not mention WHO was really to blame. She indicated that it HAD to be out "H". To borrow a phrase from Deut, all I could say was "rubbish".

She also indicated that he had cheated with four others on another assignment. When I asked to see this assignment she stated she couldn't quite remember which one it was. I was doing my best to contain my growing rage with her.

At one point her disconnect with reality was so incredible that I asked for my son to participate. She got incredibly quiet when he showed up. Near the end of our "discussion" one of the counselors pointed out that my son sounded a lot like me. He thanked her for the compliment.:D

My daughter had told me over the weekend that she had experienced her only bigotry in her class. Apparently they had to write a paper on a religion. She was trying to be a Pagan and told that she was writing this on Paganism. This teacher told my Daughter "C" that Paganism was not a religion and she would have to pick another. As "C" tried to inform her just how OLD Paganism was, her class mates started to taunt her as a "Devil Worshiper" and "Voodoo Goddess". There were some exchanges of "Stupid this" and "Stupid that" and my "C" was given a trip to the office while her antagonists were not. She was embarrassed and got in trouble often and did not feel the need to tell us about this at the time.

So then his teacher told us that this was the FIRST time anyone had complained about her, and that was consumately fair. She even told me how well she and my daughter had gotten along. At that, I related to her my daughter's story. This might have been a bit under the belt since she prides herself on how she fights bigotry. In conclusion I told her that if she is going to fight bigotry, she should start with her own.

I tried to lodge a formal complaint and they told me there was no mechanism for that. How conveient.

QTpi

Mischevious One
NetDoc said:
So the next day she called. I let her speak her entire peace (at least I tried). Then I started asking some questions.

I didn't like the answers.

When asked how much longer my son clapped, she said over ten seconds longer. I usually spot my son's lying within a few seconds. I didn't believe that he had lied to me about this.

I asked just how many times my son goes to other desks and disrupts the class, and she could not give an answer. "It has to be a lot, or I would not have put it down!" was her final reply.

I asked about the scribbling. My son's name was below it was the evidence that she used. She did not witness it. The boy my son blamed for the scribbling, apparently admitted to part of it but tried to shift blame after his admittance.

During my questioning she stated that I sounded "just like H", my son. I don't think she meant it as a compliment, though I took it as one.

At one point she made the statement that my son "refused to accept responsibility for anything". I pointed out that my son had admitted to the most eggregious accusation, but took exception only to those accusations he felt were in error. I asked for a formal meeting and we set it for Monday.
NetDoc, I'm sorry your son is having problems with his teacher and I can certainly understand how upset you must be. I'm glad you are going to meet with the teacher to discuss the problem face-to-face. It seems like she may have some other issues going on in the classroom and your son got hit with all of them, sort of like a scapegoat. Since a referral has been issued, will the administrator in charge of discipline also be there? It might be good to have a third party present that can hear both sides of the situation. I hope it goes well for you and your son. Good luck! Please let us know how it turns out.

Scuba Pete

Sunstone,

I do believe that she is a bully.

I discussed this with my pastor at length. He was very supportive.

He told me that they tried a new protocol for discipline at the Bible School this past year. It was called the "Bully Program" and had suprising results. They got very specific with how students were to be punished and for what actions. Teacher discretion was all but removed.

The principle was shocked when most of the frequent offenders did not show up in her office. Instead she got a ton of the "popular" kids. It seems that they were committing most of the transgressions but that they were hidden by the teacher's favrotism. She will be writing a thesis on the whole endeavor after this year.

robtex

Veteran Member
Yikes netdoc. It is tragic how some people in that profession feel the need to dominate children. I have been on the recieving end of that as a child so I feel your kid. Does the principle know and does the school board know? Most of the time a teacher like this (and this is unacceptable) isolates a few kids not just one and wages an intimadation campaign. If your child can find those kids and supply you with phn numbers you may be able to lodge a strong complaint with the school board. This woman is obviously in the wrong profession. If nothing else it would be nice if your kid can be transferred out of that class and even if you lodge a complaint after your kid is out of harm's way it is on the record for the next kid(s) this teacher targets. My deepest sympathies for the garbage your child and you have had to endure. I hope you know we are all behind you for moral support.

M

Majikthise

I this has given this teacher pause to consider her actions.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The teacher my nephew goes has swears up and down that he has ADHD, even though he doesn't. She even tried to get him a doctor to get him on pills without even asking my brother for his opinion.
I think new teachers today suck. They have no patience, are to lazy to make real assignments, and give into student whims. I had a high school teacher for AP-Biology, who just started her first year. Every single assignment she handed out she printed off the internet. She would hand out quizes with material not covered in the book. She wouldn't explain anything. And she expected perfect spelling, even though some of the words could barely be pronounced.
Eventually everyone in the class complained to office about her, and she was fired the second semester of that year.

Cr0wley

More Human Than Human
Ouch, fellow human! When I was in 7th grade I had a similar experiance. A teacher was constantly picking on me for no real reason. I'd just look away from the board and it'd get me detention. The funny thing is that she only targeted me. So one day she was ranting about how she's not getting any respect from the class I stood up and shouted "How can expect any respect if you refure to give us any?!" I proceeded to let her know that I has really unhappy at school since she started teaching there (which happened to be only for about 5 months) and that I wished she would just leave me alone.

She looked at me horror striken, left the class and proceeded to cry outside for five minutes.

My classmates wanted to kill me. How could I chase their teacher away like that?! Who did I think I was?!

I was brought to the principal's office (I was no stranger here) and I explained my side of the story. He just nodded and said "I understand what you're saying, but we can't get a replacement for her this late in the year. Just try to control your anger for a while and you'll be out of her class before you know it." I wonder if he relised the irony of these words later on?

Anyway, for about 3 weeks after this incident she constantly picked on me worse than before. I left one math sum out and I'd get detention for a month for "repeatedly incomplete work" while other kids left whole pages out and just got a warning. In class she would belittle my answers and make me look stupid in front of the other kids. The last time she did it I finally snapped, got up and walked out the door. I walked down the hallway towards the exit. She stood out the door and yelled

"IF YOU WALK OUT THE ****ING DOOR I'LL ****ING KILL YOU YOU LITTLE SON OF *****!"

Seeing as she shouted this, and that it was a highly religious school, and all the other teacher's doors were open...

...it didn't go down well with the head master...

We had a temp in that next monday. :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
NetDoc said:
I tried to lodge a formal complaint and they told me there was no mechanism for that. How conveient.
You should be able to attend a School Board meeting and address your concerns ND . Although not a " formal complaint " , they should take minutes ... ;)

Saw11_2000

That sounds like a strict school, they wrote him up for CLAPPING!?!?!?!?!? When I get written up it's really bad, like telling the teacher to well [GOVERNMENT CENSOR] off...or disrupting class 5 times in 45 minutes. Wow...clapping, that's unbelievable... What did he get for punishment? When I am a bad kid I just get an A.D., and the people are rediculously stupid, they give you a slip to "have your parents sign", but when you show up for A.D., they don't check. I shredded the thing. I can't believe they get that mad for clapping that's insane.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
I had a couple of teachers like this in elementary school. I was very shy and tried to be invisible, but sometimes a kid will be a kid.....

My mom never stuck up for me or even tried to get my side of the story - I was punished for getting in trouble at school because it reflected poorly on my parents (in other words, it was an embarassment).

Once in first grade I was walking to the front of the class to sharpen my pencil and I ran my hand through another girl's hair as I walked by (she was a friend and had very soft, straight hair). The teacher saw it and whacked my butt several times with her yardstick for being disruptive. The beating at home was much worse.

So Doc - I'd side with you on this all the way..... Whatever the outcome, that you are investigating and making sure your son's teacher is being fair (sounds like she's not) is admirable. I get the impression that as a parent you are involved with your kids' education. Any teacher who doesn't like a kid 'cause s/he doesn't fit in or stands up for himself has no right to be in charge of kids :mad:

Melody

NetDoc said:
ND,
Who told you there was no mechanism? Every school system I ever taught in had a "mechanism". Sounds like they're trying to snow you.

If you aren't getting anywhere with the principal of the school, try the superintendent. If he blows you off, it's time to start calling the school board members.

This teacher appears to be a power hungry bully who can't admit she's ever wrong....and that is the worst type of person to have in charge of children. You may not be able to get her removed from her position, but at least she's on notice (and it's in writing) that there's been a problem.

Good for you for sticking up for your child. I am horrified when I hear parents supporting the teachers 100%. They aren't infallible and they're getting worse as far as respecting their students and being reasonable.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
There is something wrong with a grown woman if she takes a disagreement with a child personally, which it definately sounds like this teacher is doing. Does she have so little confidence in herself that she feels threatened by your son?

Melody

lilithu said:
There is something wrong with a grown woman if she takes a disagreement with a child personally, which it definately sounds like this teacher is doing. Does she have so little confidence in herself that she feels threatened by your son?
Lilithu,
There are a lot of people who go into teaching because they aren't bright enough or motivated enough to do anything else and they count on being able to run roughshod over the kids. I don't know if it's a matter of "lack of confidence" or just ego that says in an adult/child relationship, the adult is always right.

My son brought a paper home once where the teacher had marked 3 of the answers wrong. He said he tried to explain to the teacher why they were right and he wouldn't listen. When we looked at the answers, we couldn't understand why they were wrong. In fact, we were pretty impressed at the logic he used to arrive at his answer.

When we took it up with the teacher, he said he marked them wrong because "that's not what the answer book said." It took almost 30 minutes to get him to finally admit that the answers weren't wrong but since that's not what the book said, he was still marking them wrong. After discovering that the principal was just as dimwitted, we decided to jump our son from 7th grade to 9th grade so he could go to the charter school at the college, where he went from a D+ student (who interestingly would get 100+ on his test papers and in class assignments) to a straight A student.

fromthe heart

Hi NetDoc...gotta tell you I agree with everyone pretty much here that she is bullying your son. You have the right to have it stop,your son has the right to have it stop. I'd follow the advice already given you to take it a step higher until you get results. I had to deal with that right before I pulled my child from the public school and homeschooled. Your child goes to school to learn not get their self-esteem beat down by a teacher that should not be in the position to teach. There are so many GOOD teachers...but it's the few BAD ones that seem to be what you can remember the clearest.

I wish you luck for your son's sake. I know how it can eat right at the heart of who you are.

smiles,