• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abuse of power: My son's teacher.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I do appreciate the support! I am not sure I want to escalate until he is out of her grasp.

Doc

Space Chief
I have had very few problems with teachers. One however was the Spanish teacher in 8th grade. She held the class after school 1/2 hour late because someone made an inappropriate screeching sound during a spanish song. (It was really someones voice cracking) We would have been there much longer but one girl who was fed up falsely confessed cause she wanted to go home!

Another I may be in right now. We were told to research some health topic. I chose Parkinsons Disease and got as much info as I needed during class. So I talked to another kid who was done. Most people were talking and still working. We were both told we would get detentions for not working even though we were done as did about a dozen other kids. My friend already had his stuff typed out and he was told "nice try" and written on the 'list' anyway. I am sure he will forget, but if he does go through with it, I will complain a lot to him and my parents. Keep in mind the last time I got in trouble was in 5th grade because I had the audacity to stand up during recess.

Scuba Pete

My son has NEVER had a disciplinary trip to the office. He has never had an issue with a teacher either. He is in the gifted program and sports a 4.2 average. Oh, he's had a disciplinary detention or two here and there. But nothing serious.

robtex

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
I do appreciate the support! I am not sure I want to escalate until he is out of her grasp.
Netdoc that says good things about your character. I am glad you are weighing your sons welfare into the equation and given it priority over all else.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
NetDoc, tell your son hello from me. I think I know what he's going through. Maybe the consolation is, as Ceridwen says, that people like his teacher will be the first to be eaten by the aliens when they land on earth.

Ceridwen018

Does your son go to private school, NetDoc? With experience from my own Catholic High School, sometimes it seems that the only way for teachers to get fired is if they get arrested, (a teacher was fired a couple of years ago after he was arrested, and only then after the media got ahold of the story and ran. He might still be here if it had all be kept under wraps!) I guess you can't blame them--its hard to find teachers who are willing to work for less pay. That's what we're told anyhow--"Teachers who work at private schools do so because they genuinely love kids and teaching and the religious environment!" Yeah--either that or because they were too poor to get a job anywhere else.

Scuba Pete

He goes to Lake Brantly High School which is a part of the Seminole County Public School System. It would be sorta funny to divulge her e-mail so that she could be deluged by a bunch of concerned citizens. :D But that would be vengeful, and that's not my style.

Saw11_2000

I had a teacher like that last year Mr. Jesman. Uhhhh.....

Let's just say I kept a tally of how many detentions he gave me (42) and how many I went to (3). Luckily he knew he was wrong and just 'forgot' about the other 39 detentions.

Melody

NetDoc said:
While I can appreciate that...how much damage can she do in the meantime. Or is your school year almost over? We had one of our sons moved out of a teacher's classroom for similar problems so she couldn't take her malevolence out on him.

Scuba Pete

At first they agreed to this and then later recanted citing that it was too late in the semester.

fromthe heart

NetDoc said:
At first they agreed to this and then later recanted citing that it was too late in the semester.
I guess the best thing to tell you given all you've said is school will soon be out and he can move on to a different teacher next year. I'd love to send her a begrudging email letting her know how big of a family your son has right now with all the RF supporters.:D I'm not a spiteful person but informong of displeasure can enlighten the person to listening if nothing else. It's amazing how some can recant and other's words and actions are twisted. Good luck Buddy.:)

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
NetDoc said:
To a kid being picked on, even a few weeks can seem like an eternity.....
Doc - somehow I know you're letting your son know you're there for him and supporting him in every way possible..... right?

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Melody said:
It took almost 30 minutes to get him to finally admit that the answers weren't wrong but since that's not what the book said, he was still marking them wrong. After discovering that the principal was just as dimwitted
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Watch out Doc, next they are going to try to dose your child to get him to 'sit down and shut up'.

I, too have had trouble with school for a child that does not fit the confines of public school. He is a natural mathmatician, reads OK, but is terrible at writing. He is also very social, and has a lot of intelligent things to say. It is very hard for him to sit in a room full of people and not socialize, and why should he. The traits I see in my son that makes him incompatable with classroom invironment, are traits that will make him a successful grown up.

This is really a sad thing. Our children are actually very very intelligent. However, we send them off to an institution that treats them as emply chalkboards and they go about trying to fill them up with what 'they' consider as important.

It is often mentioned that the children today are far more intelligent than we were as children. So why has the basic structure of the school system remained unchanged for 100's of years?

Do not be too disheartened NetDoc. After two years of experiencing extremely high blood pressure, I decided to let it go. I gave it over to God. I decided that if Ford could accomplish what he did with a 6th grade education, I was not going to fall pray to being stressed out about the school thing. Instead of putting tons of stress on my child to go against his own nature, we find ways to work with it.

In a book I wrote I discuss the fact that to measure a child by the criteria schools use is rather distracting from what is true. Schools, in their design, from the very beginning, label some kids as better than others.
Grades are one form of measure, but so is height and weight. And for our society to teach that one child is better than another based on grades is as absurd as saying that an orange is better than a rose, because it weighs more.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
NetDoc -
You are a better man than I. I am a vengeful, spiteful person when it comes to an adult taking advantage of a child. In most people's eyes, I would be wrong, but I wouldn't hesitate to be in this teacher's face every day of the week. If she is going to persecute your son, I think you have an obligation to defend him from her.
Like you, I tend to think that my kids deserve 99% of what they get - from other kids and teachers alike. When that other 1% arises, I will be my kids' strongest ally.
I would literally go into her classroom everyday after school, if that is what it took to make her understand that I would not tolerate her insecurity and boorishness.

Hotheaded,
TVOR

Scuba Pete

TVOR

I think she is about ready to get a restraining order on me. :D

I have taken this another step since she has continued to harrass my son. Her supervisor and I are talking on a daily basis. I don't want to go overboard, but every time she does something spiteful he hears all about it from me.

Last week she started taping the class. I told him that she did not have my permission to tape him. Since she does not tape any other class, I have indicated that this is indeed punitive and needs to stop.

She told my son to stop talking earlier this week... he wasn't. When another student pointed out that he had been completely silent (he was reading an assignment), she took the time to stop the tape before haranging the student for supporting Harrison. She backed up the tape a bit and then resumed taping. My son was mortified. The student rasised her hand and pointed out that she was editing anything that made her look bad. She stopped the tape again, told the student to mind her own business, backed up the tape and then started it again.

I sort of went ballistic with the supervisor (dean). If the tape machine is in there today, there will be letters to the editor, to the County Supervisor and anyone else I can think of. Maybe it's time to call the "Problem Solvers". I think they would have fun dealing with this.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Good Grief! This teacher doesn't even have three brain cells capable of firing in unison. I'm glad you're not passing out her email, NetDoc. It could only make things worse for her to hear what I'd have to say to her about this mess she's made.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Apparently, Sunstone is also more mature than I am (not that I'm setting the bar very high). Not only would I pass out her email, I post her phone number on some "Singles" sites, with some very suggestive comments.
I tell you one thing - I'd give Harrison a video camera, and tell him to videotape the class also. You know his version of the tape won't get edited. If the school master has anything to say about it, tell him you want copies of all of the teachers videotapes - your lawyer has told you that is the first step in the upcoming lawsuit against the teacher, administration, and school system.

She's on a roll - now get out there and smear some butter on her!!

TVOR

Yerda

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
Last week she started taping the class...She backed up the tape a bit and then resumed taping. My son was mortified. The student rasised her hand and pointed out that she was editing anything that made her look bad. She stopped the tape again...
:eek:

That is unbelievable! I thought I had some dodgy teachers.

Your son, NetDoc, has the patience of a saint, I would've left that class the moment a tape recorder came out, and not before inserting the device in a certain part of her posterior anatomy!!

What an f-ing idiot that woman is! :mad: