• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abstinence or Safe-Sex in schools? Your thoughts?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Absolutely nothing.

It is however dangerous to try and fall short, particularly if abstinence is incorrectly understood as involving only the most conventional and complete form of intercourse.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My point is this - that abstinence is a viable and mature, responsible alternative. It should be presented as such - ALONG WITH detailed information on birth control and safe sex practices.

Abstinence is not the most desirable choice for every teen. In the case of some teens, responsible sex is the best choice. Consequently, abstinence should not be taught as an always to be prefered option, but rather as one option.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I don't know anybody I went to school with who was abstinent, LOL. What does this tell you about teaching abstinence, even with good intentions? It's pretty much pointless

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I don't know anybody I went to school with who was abstinent, LOL. What does this tell you about teaching abstinence, even with good intentions? It's pretty much pointless
Are you saying schools shouldn't teach abstinence at all? Why is it pointless? It appealed to me, and my decision wasn't based on religious beliefs at all. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Walkntune

Are you saying schools shouldn't teach abstinence at all? Why is it pointless? It appealed to me, and my decision wasn't based on religious beliefs at all. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
Maybe you are a person of depth and you were looking for something real instead of casual encounters.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well you must be one of very few Anne. I knew nobody I was in school with who was a virgin. Literally- nobody

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

Telling kids they shouldn't do something will only encourage them to do it.

I wouldn't say don't teach it at all, but is it really necessary to prevent kids from expressing 'urges.'

My opinion is prepare them for the inevitable instead of trying to prevent them from doing it.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I agree, Darkendless. I've often said I'd LOVE to teach sex education. Very little embarrasses me about the topic, and I'd tell these kids a heck of a lot more than I bet they hear now.

I do think there is value in presenting abstinence as an option. It's going to appeal to some, and they should know there is nothing wrong with making that choice.

I rather liked it. I didn't have the drama and heartbreak my sexually active (and often drunk!) girlfriends experienced.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Abstinence is not the most desirable choice for every teen. In the case of some teens, responsible sex is the best choice. Consequently, abstinence should not be taught as an always to be prefered option, but rather as one option.

That's fine by me. I don't think that teens should be taught, though, that abstinence is in any way an inferior or unrealistic choice.

People should know ALL their options well and then make INFORMED decisions. Knowledge is power.

Kathryn

Well you must be one of very few Anne. I knew nobody I was in school with who was a virgin. Literally- nobody

There's so much pressure on kids sexually that very few are willing to admit that they are virgins.

Like I said before, my son in law was often RIDICULED because of his choice to remain a virgin till he was married.

I'd say the last laugh was on those who ridiculed him. He is a terrific husband and provider to my daughter, one of the best fathers I've ever been around, and on top of all that - he's a hottie.

GO, JOSH! I love that boy. My daughter is a very lucky girl to be married to a man with such strong moral fiber and principles.

lombas

Society of Brethren
I don't think it would come to anybody's sane mind to teach abstinence in my region.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
There's so much pressure on kids sexually that very few are willing to admit that they are virgins.

Like I said before, my son in law was often RIDICULED because of his choice to remain a virgin till he was married.

I'd say the last laugh was on those who ridiculed him. He is a terrific husband and provider to my daughter, one of the best fathers I've ever been around, and on top of all that - he's a hottie.

And here we have the double edged sword. Teens tend to be ridiculed by their peers for being virgins, and yet on the opposite end of the spectrum they tend to be put down by their elders for being sexually active. So, what's a teen to do? ;)

Once again, I emphasize that neither abstinence nor sexual activity should be encouraged, but the facts SHOULD be taught.

Kathryn

I could go for that. Frankly, I wish all educators in public schools would stick to the facts.

Mr Cheese

the problem is the government actually provides cash for schools that do NOT teach the facts....

Kathryn

And the award for Understatement of the Quarter goes to ...(drumroll...)... MR CHEESE!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
abstinence only works.......... till you decide to have sex.
It is a pointless exercise, unless the fall back position is educated safe sex.

Kathryn

How is abstinence pointless? Why don't you consider it a viable alternative? What's wrong with encouraging people who want to avoid STDs and pregnancy to consider abstinence as a lifestyle option for a period in their lives?

I don't think anyone on this forum is saying to teach abstinence ONLY. That would be ridiculous. Knowledge is power.

Kathryn

I don't have a problem with sex. I have a problem with irresponsible sex that leads to other, bigger issues.

What's wrong with driving a car? Not everyone has a problem driving a car. Lots of people LOVE to drive. Driving can be fun! But sometimes it's best for a person not to drive for a period of time - could be one night, or maybe they should never drive. Everyone is different. But irresponsible driving can lead to wrecked lives.

So can irresponsible sex.