• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there Absolute Certainty

• Yes

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Possible

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • It is only Relative

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Other - Explain

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I can say if there is a creator, then that in itself suggests there was always a creation.
I do not remember who said something like this - "I thought I knew everything, but when I really came to know, I realized that I knew nothing." What is your point in misleading others - "the Emperor's New Clothes'?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am absolutely certain that math and science do make it possible for some things to be absolutely known, such as the nature of electricity, how to use it, and the formula that allow us to make accurate predictions that enable the modern world to be possible.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I'm not 100% certain an external world exists. At times, I am not 100% certain I exist.
That can't be when you're asleep because you may not know if you exist. I say may not because someone may take issue with that as if maybe they know they can exist 100% of the time when they're asleep. Or 3% of the time. I am happy I usually don't remember my dreams but I do know when I awaken from sleep. Before I awaken, I don't know I am sleeping. And I believe that's 100% of the time.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the clarification.

If 'absolute certainty' is a state of mind rather than a matter of fact, then indeed I think you're right. But to the onlooker, that may make it look more like a symptom than a statement about reality, no? After all, for every inventor (&c) who thought he or she was absolutely right, the number who turned out to have invented a real perpetual motion machine is remarkably small.

I personally see that the certainty in your example is that perpetual motion is achievable, the goal is to fulfil that certainty, has it been achieved?

Back in the 90's I had a friend who said his brother had just achieved the goal. Before we lost contact with each other, there was funny things happening with that disclosure. I still have not been able to track down that good friend to see what happened.

I see there has to be absolutes in this creation. One might use the a ology that Love is an Absolute and lack of that Love is what becomes any of the doubt.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That can't be when you're asleep because you may not know if you exist. I say may not because someone may take issue with that as if maybe they know they can exist 100% of the time when they're asleep. Or 3% of the time. I am happy I usually don't remember my dreams but I do know when I awaken from sleep. Before I awaken, I don't know I am sleeping. And I believe that's 100% of the time.

I see dreams as another world, where it plays out between what is reality and what life has done to influence our state of mind.

Dreams can be quite bizarre!

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do not remember who said something like this - "I thought I knew everything, but when I really came to know, I realized that I knew nothing." What is your point in misleading others - "the Emperor's New Clothes'?

I am certain no one can be or has to be mislead by me. If they are, I am certain it was their choice, a choice that I would advise them against. :D

Regards Tony

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Absolute certainty that science invented an artificial cause, is all that I would claim as a human talking to another human.

Natural is natural and natural existed in all forms before we did and humans argue over what they should title it, from human diversity existing by self explanation. Why male in diverse cultures argue, just about the use of names and titles.

Humans are the last form in our reality, for natural owns natural change and always did....and with certainty we own ending creation, seeing humans did before.

Creation for a human is only known to a human in their own human experience, and prove that their idea of creation is only what supports their own existence.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Could be, may not be, I am certain of that :D

Lets say there there is a God. My certainty that there is, is in no way needed by God and if this is so, it may be any certainty is just a gift, as God has made God known to me.

Regards Tony
And yet, if there is no god, then your certainty has absolutely no bearing on the it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am certain no one can be or has to be mislead by me. If they are, I am certain it was their choice, a choice that I would advise them against. :D
VERY TRUE.

fool-me-quotes.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a discussion about Absolute Certainty.

First I will give what I see are Absolute Certainty.

100% Certain of God - Unknowable.
100% God sends Messengers.
100% Certain those Messengers are all we can know of God.
100% Certain that if you believe in one of those Messengers, one has found a source of Truth.
100% Certain that we are in true form, we are Spirit.
100% Certain that creation is a Relative Certainty.
100% Certain that all people have this knowledge within.
100% Certain, that we will mess up that Certainty.

Well that is a good start.

What about you, what are your Absolute Certainties?

Do your Certainties find any agreement in Mine?

Do you think we can have Absolute Certainty?

Regards Tony

Well, I think I agree with the last statement above, with a slight alteration: "100% Certain, that we will mess up."

Kind of like Murphy's Law, which is also another absolute certainty.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Well, I think I agree with the last statement above, with a slight alteration: "100% Certain, that we will mess up."

Murphy was an optimist

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Have you heard of O'Leary's Law? I use it regularly.

Murphy is an optimist! :D

Regards Tony

You can be certain in bounded scenarios with complete information and where cognitive error isn't a factor.

For example, if there are 2 kinds of milk in the shop, I can be certain that the $1 milk is cheaper than the $1.50 milk and can achieve, with certainty, my goal of buying the cheapest milk in the shop.

The vast majority of situations we deal with lack such strict boundaries, contain incomplete information and are also subject to cognitive error, so certainty is impossible.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does that have something to do with Mrs. O'Leary's cow?

It is an Aussie thing we take Murphey's Law, which says, “If something can go wrong, it will.”, a step further and Make up O'leary's Law to say that Murphy's Law is just way too optimistic.

Regards Tony