• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrahamic religions + Reincarnation = Truth

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Many sufi muslims believe in reincarnation

Many ismailies muslims believe in reincarnation

Many jews believe in reincarnation

Many early groups in christianity believed in reincarnation. And today many christians believe in reincarnation

Any thoughts?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

Many early groups in christianity believed in reincarnation. And today many christians believe in reincarnation

Any thoughts?

If the Prophets of God as believed by the Abrahamics are genuinely as inspired by God, reincarnation would explicitly affirmed. It isn't.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Any thoughts?
You can believe in something... but does that "= truth"?

And isn't the converse true?

"Many sufi muslims do not believe in reincarnation

Many ismailies muslims do not believe in reincarnation

Many jews do not believe in reincarnation

Many early groups in christianity did not believed in reincarnation. And today many christians do not believe in reincarnation"

ajay0

Any thoughts?

I am wondering why there are no Bahais in this list though Krishna (whom they see as a prophet) had taught about reincarnation in the Bhagavad Gita. o_O

WonderingWorrier

Any thoughts?

I did wonder about this verse in the Quran:

"It is Allah who creates you and takes your souls at death; and of you there are some who are sent back to a feeble age, so that they know nothing after having known (much): for Allah is All-Knowing, All-Powerful".

It mentions taking souls at death, but it also mentions some are sent back.

To a feeble age, not knowing what they knew.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If the Prophets of God as believed by the Abrahamics are genuinely as inspired by God, reincarnation would explicitly affirmed. It isn't.
To be fair, the Torah alone doesn't mention an afterlife or immortal soul etc. Only the later books have these ideas.

PureX

Veteran Member
Belief does not equal truth. It's important to understand this, so that we can accept being wrong even when we believed we were right. Also, so that we can accept the right of others to believe differently.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
To be fair, the Torah alone doesn't mention an afterlife or immortal soul etc. Only the later books have these ideas.
The lampstand in the tabernacle, Aaron's almond rod and some other things in the Pentateuch seem to canote a reincarnation of the nation itself, if not individuals. I see in it the suggestion that the soul of the nation goes on even though the nation itself may die from time to time.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Any thoughts?

Sufi Muslims are people.
Ismaili Muslims are people.
Jews are people.
Early Christians were people.

Many people believe in all manner of impossible things. Some delight in such practice. So, for example, from one of my favorite pieces of scripture ...:

“I can’t believe that!” said Alice.

“Can’t you?” the Queen said in a pitying tone. “Try again: draw a long breath, and shut your eyes.”

Alice laughed. “There’s no use trying,” she said: “one can’t believe impossible things.”

“I daresay you haven’t had much practice,” said the Queen. “When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You can believe in something... but does that "= truth"?

And isn't the converse true?
But that's very much true of all religions.

BTW, if I was reincarnated, I would want to come back as a stud.
However, with my luck I'd only end up in a snow tire.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it is right out of the mouth of God Himself in the person of Jesus. The problem is that the B man would be revealed as a false prophet for saying there is none unless one is able to see that he is a religious philosopher and not a prophet.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I am wondering why there are no Bahais in this list though Krishna (whom they see as a prophet) had taught about reincarnation in the Bhagavad Gita. o_O

I believe I don't remember what Krishna said in the Gita. Do you have a page number? I have an edition.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
WAIT A MINUTE... Are you saying you are not? :eek: You have fooled me all this time!!!
Nah, as I think the Boss said that one of me is already way too much? I wonder what He means by that?

True... but as a renowned person asked: Pilate saith unto him, "What is truth?"
The opposite of "false", I would suggest. :p

ajay0

I believe I don't remember what Krishna said in the Gita. Do you have a page number? I have an edition.

Reincarnation is discussed mainly in the second chapter of the Bhagavad Gita. Here are some of the verses regarding reincarnation spoken by Krishna...

“The wise grieve neither for the living nor for the dead. There was never a time when you and I and all the kings gathered here have not existed and nor will there be a time when we will cease to exist.”(Bhagavad Gita 2.12)

"As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death."(Bhagavad Gita 2.13)

"That which pervades the entire body you should know to be indestructible. No one is able to destroy that imperishable soul. " (Bhagavad Gita 2.17)

"For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain." (Bhagavad Gita 2.20)

"As a person puts on new garments, giving up old ones, the soul similarly accepts new material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones."(Bhagavad Gita 2.22)

"The soul can never be cut to pieces by any weapon, nor burned by fire, nor moistened by water, nor withered by the wind.(Bhagavad Gita 2.23)

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't think it is a Biblical belief.

I believe you ae mistaking the beliefs of interpreters as Biblical beliefs. I believe one may say Biblically based beliefs whether true or false beliefs. I believe an interpretation of re-incarnation from Bible verses is valid and supportable.