• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About Christmas.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
But isnt Santa an incredibly bastardised version of Saint?

Iam no christian or expert on it but i learned that Santa Claus is the Coca Cola Saint Nicholas.

I've heard that Santa Claus is based loosely on St. Nicholas. I watched an hour long show on the History Channel a few years ago all about Saint Nicholas. I also read about him. Interesting stuff.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
But isnt Santa an incredibly bastardised version of Saint?

Iam no christian or expert on it but i learned that Santa Claus is the Coca Cola Saint Nicholas.

As I pointed out earlier, the modern figure of Santa Claus took shape in the poem A Night Before Christmas, which predates the Coca Cola company.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Then how come most people who celebrate Christmas do so in the name of Jesus?

What do you mean most people? Virtually nobody does, at least not exclusively. You can walk into any retail store in America and find tons of Christmas trees, presents, Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, etc. How many religious displays? Not many. How many are sold? Not many.

Christmas is an almost entirely secular holiday today. Jesus hardly even enters into it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What do you mean most people? Virtually nobody does, at least not exclusively. You can walk into any retail store in America and find tons of Christmas trees, presents, Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, etc. How many religious displays? Not many. How many are sold? Not many.

Christmas is an almost entirely secular holiday today. Jesus hardly even enters into it.

At the retail stores it might be secular but it isn't in our homes. A person can't buy reading Luke chapter 2 at the store, singing religious Christmas carols can't be bought, either. I have tons of Christmas music, some of it is secular and a lot of it is Christmas music from Gospel singers and more. Listening to that music can't be bought at the store (although I bought those CDs at stores, including on-line stores).

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was just thinking of that slogan, "Jesus is the reason for the season", and had a couple thoughts on it. The season is actually winter. So if Jesus is God and responsible for creation, then he is the reason for spring, summer, and fall as well. In other words, "Jesus is the reason for four seasons" (queues Vivaldi). But if one means the reason for the Christmas Holiday, I think it's more accurate to say he is the excuse for it.

kjw47

Somehow I doubt celebrations of love, joy, family, and giving to the needy are in any way comparable to mass slaughter.

Still I want no part of a God who's so uptight that anything that doesn't fit neatly into his own little bureaucratic system automatically gets turned away.

A mere mortal cannot see a gazillionth of what our creator sees and knows--He always chooses the best path. God is always right.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
At the retail stores it might be secular but it isn't in our homes. A person can't buy reading Luke chapter 2 at the store, singing religious Christmas carols can't be bought, either. I have tons of Christmas music, some of it is secular and a lot of it is Christmas music from Gospel singers and more. Listening to that music can't be bought at the store (although I bought those CDs at stores, including on-line stores).

That doesn't mean anyone demonstrably celebrates that way. I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Americans have absolutely zero special religious content in their Christmas celebration.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

Well, most people already have most of their own religious decorations/displays, and so have no need to go to the store to buy new ones every year. No wonder, then, why such things aren't advertised.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
That doesn't mean anyone demonstrably celebrates that way. I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Americans have absolutely zero special religious content in their Christmas celebration.

On what data do you base such an assumption?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Well, most people already have most of their own religious decorations/displays, and so have no need to go to the store to buy new ones every year. No wonder, then, why such things aren't advertised.

And where do you get that information, or is it just something you made up?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
And where do you get that information, or is it just something you made up?

Business logic. If something isn't going to make you a profit, you don't sell it. Why aren't Christian-themed decorations sold during Christmas in general stores? For that reason. Probably also for the same reason that they're not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" or they'd get sued by the overly-sensitive (also bad for business).

It's the same reason you don't see a lot of Christian-themed merchandise throughout any of the year in general stores (though ironically, they're sold in Pagan stores. lol)

Remember that well over 3/4ths of Americans are part of a Christian church of some sort or another. California is not representative of the rest of the country, being one of the least religious states.

Last edited:

roger1440

I do stuff
THE CHRISTMAS ANGEL
[FONT=&quot] One particular Christmas season a long time ago, Santa was getting ready for his annual trip ... but there were problems everywhere. Four of his elves got sick, and the trainee elves did not produce the toys as fast as the regular ones so Santa was beginning to feel the pressure of being behind schedule. Then Mrs. Claus told Santa that her mom was coming to visit. This stressed Santa even more. When he went to harness the reindeer, he found that three of them were about to give birth and two had jumped the fence and were out, heaven knows where. More stress. Then when he began to load the sleigh one of the boards cracked and the toy bag fell to the ground and scattered the toys. So, frustrated, Santa went into the house for a cup of coffee and a shot of whiskey. When he went to the cupboard, he discovered that the elves had hid the liquor and there was nothing to drink. In his frustration, he accidentally dropped the coffeepot and it broke into hundreds of little piece all over the kitchen floor. He went to get the broom and found that mice had eaten the straw it was made from. Just then the doorbell rang and Santa cussed on his way to the door. He opened the door and there was a little angel with a great big Christmas tree. The angel said, very cheerfully, “Merry Christmas Santa. Isn’t it just a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Isn’t it just a lovely tree? Where would you like me to stick it?” Thus began the tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree. Author unknown...
evil-santa.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

True enough, but some of us do. I think more do than you would think.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably also for the same reason that they're not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" or they'd get sued by the overly-sensitive (also bad for business).

I've seen this sort of statement made many times. Purely a question from ignorance (I'm Aussie) but is this factual? On what grounds can you be sued for saying Merry Christmas?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I've seen this sort of statement made many times. Purely a question from ignorance (I'm Aussie) but is this factual? On what grounds can you be sued for saying Merry Christmas?

Someone finds it offensive.

That's it.

Yeah, I think it's dumb, too.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone finds it offensive.

That's it.

Yeah, I think it's dumb, too.

Hmmm...but how does that reconcile with the First Amendment? Near as I can tell, Americans can say all sorts of stuff which might be illegal in other countries, and use the First Amendment as protection. Like the guy a month back who was burning Qurans...it was a fire-safety law that got him, not an act of hate 'speech' or anything...

So is the whole 'If you say Merry Christmas you can be sued' thing and urban myth, or are there documented cases of successful litigation?

FranklinMichaelV.3

Hmmm...but how does that reconcile with the First Amendment? Near as I can tell, Americans can say all sorts of stuff which might be illegal in other countries, and use the First Amendment as protection. Like the guy a month back who was burning Qurans...it was a fire-safety law that got him, not an act of hate 'speech' or anything...

So is the whole 'If you say Merry Christmas you can be sued' thing and urban myth, or are there documented cases of successful litigation?

I think it's more of a myth it's a PC thing. Stores are probably more incline to avoid it simply for reasons of possible discrimination on religious grounds or the like.

Riverwolf

Premium Member

People can say whatever they want (as long as what's being said doesn't directly put others in danger; i.e., yelling fire in a crowded building).

I don't know of any documented cases of it happening, but there are plenty of instances of people successfully suing for completely dumb reasons.

The thing about litigation is that businesses work to avoid it rather than take risks. As soon as people start crying about people saying "Merry Christmas" at all, a smart business will simply go along with it to avoid litigation (or at least keep customers.) Even if the litigation fails, time (and thus money) is still wasted on it.