• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About America And Guns.

PureX

Veteran Member
No one in their right mind needs an assault weapon to protect their home, their family, or themselves. No one. If they live in that dangerous of a neighborhood they should move. It's simply not habitable.

And without assault weapons, this Vegas shooter could not have killed and injured anywhere near as many people as he did. These are just simple, obvious facts. So the question is why won't we ban assault weapons, when they are completely unnecessary for hunting, sport, or self-defense?

And the answer is because a lot of American men are living in their own fantasy of the "wild west", wherein they imagine themselves to be the lone cowboy, out in the wilderness, living by his own strength and wits, in an "every-man-for-himself" Darwinist adventure environment. And he really LIKES this fantasy because it makes him feel powerful and autonomous, when the reality in which he lives makes him feel anything BUT powerful and autonomous.

So he piles up the guns, and the knives, and the ammo, and he plays with them when he can, and dreams about using them to 'obliterate the bad guys', as he wallows in that fantasy of power and autonomy that these weapons help him maintain. Because it makes him feel so much better than his reality does. A reality in which he has become just another cog in the rich man's money pump. With no escape, no power, no respect, no voice, and no hope of positive adventure.

The American male CANNOT let go of this "wild west" fantasy and accept the ugly reality of the totally interdependent society in which he now lives. And owning guns is a very important part of maintaining that "wild west" fantasy. That fantasy of personal power and autonomy that he can't get in real life, anymore. And he needs that fantasy so badly that he's willing to let other people's children, husbands, wives, friends, and loved ones die for it.

Many thousands of gun deaths every year in this country are not "the price of freedom", as has recently been claimed. It's the price of that wild west fantasy that modern American men just cannot let go of.

Until we address this cultural emasculation of men, and their loss of personal power and autonomy in a cultural and economic system created for and run by the wealthy elite, we will never get our society to impose reasonable and effective gun regulation. Greedy gun manufacturers and their paid whores in the legislature are a problem, but they are not the ultimate problem. The ultimate problem is the cultural emasculation of men, and their requisite NEED to feel empowered, and autonomous. And nothing does that for them right now, in our culture, like owning a gun.

And that's what has to change.

Last edited:

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
The only purpose of a gun is to kill.

I am not entirely sold on the "Wild West" angle. In fact, I think the problem lies with the NRA and its insistence on spreading propaganda that we somehow "need" guns to protect ourselves from any conceivable threat.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
@PureX
First class post!

What is so sad about some gun nuts is that if schools are attacked they want to issue handguns to all teachers, then to all bus drivers etc etc.

What these sad folks don''t understand is that if every single person who attended that Las Vegas Country Mass Murder had been in possession of a handgun they would have been able to do....... NOTHING.

Assault rifles have no serious purpose other than for ....... assaulting.

Rational Agnostic

No one in their right mind needs an assault weapon to protect their home, their family, or themselves. No one. If they live in that dangerous of a neighborhood they should move. It's simply not habitable.

And without assault weapons, this Vegas shooter could not have killed and injured anywhere near as many people as he did. These are just simple, obvious facts. So the question is why won't we ban assault weapons, when they are completely unnecessary for hunting, sport, or self-defense?

And the answer is because a lot of American men are living in their own fantasy of the "wild west", wherein they imagine themselves to be the lone cowboy, out in the wilderness, living by his own strength and wits, in an "every-man-for-himself" Darwinist adventure environment. And he really LIKES this fantasy because it makes him feel powerful and autonomous, when the reality in which he lives makes him feel anything BUT powerful and autonomous.

So he piles up the guns, and the knives, and the ammo, and he plays with them when he can, and dreams about using them to 'obliterate the bad guys', as he wallows in that fantasy of power and autonomy that these weapons help him maintain. Because it makes him feel so much better than his reality does. A reality in which he has become just another cog in the rich man's money pump. With no escape, no power, no respect, no voice, and no hope of positive adventure.

The American male CANNOT let go of this "wild west" fantasy and accept the ugly reality of the totally interdependent society in which he now lives. And owning guns is a very important part of maintaining that "wild west" fantasy. That fantasy of personal power and autonomy that he can't get in real life, anymore. And he needs that fantasy so badly that he's willing to let other people's children, husbands, wives, friends, and loved ones be killed for it.

Many thousands of gun deaths every year in this country are not "the price of freedom", as has recently been claimed. It's the price of that wild west fantasy that modern American men just cannot let go of.

Until we address this cultural emasculation of men, and their loss of personal power and autonomy, we will never get our society to impose reasonable and effective gunregulation. Greedy gun manufacturers and their paid whores in the legislature are a problem, but they are not the ultimate problem. The ultimate problem is the cultural emasculation of men, and their requisite NEED to feel empowered, and autonomous. And nothing does that for them right now, in our culture, like owning a gun.

No sane person would oppose a ban on automatic weapons. I agree that the gun fetish in this country is very strange. Also, who defines what the "right to bear arms" even means? Certainly no one would insist that everyone has a right to his own personal flamethrowers, bombs, military tanks, etc.

Rational Agnostic

@PureX

What these sad folks don''t understand is that if every single person who attended that Las Vegas Country Mass Murder had been in possession of a handgun they would have been able to do....... NOTHING.

Agree that more gun control measures need to be made. Of course in this instance a handgun would not have been able to be used to stop the shooter, however, in many other instances, it would be possible to stop a mass shooter with a handgun, which is why I still support the right to concealed carry *if* the carrier takes a course on gun safety and has no criminal history.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
sdfsdfsdfsd

The American male CANNOT let go of this "wild west" fantasy and accept the ugly reality of the totally interdependent society in which he now lives. And owning guns is a very important part of maintaining that "wild west" fantasy. That fantasy of personal power and autonomy that he can't get in real life, anymore. And he needs that fantasy so badly that he's willing to let other people's children, husbands, wives, friends, and loved ones be killed for it.

Until we address this cultural emasculation of men, and their loss of personal power and autonomy, we will never get our society to impose reasonable and effective gunregulation. Greedy gun manufacturers and their paid whores in the legislature are a problem, but they are not the ultimate problem. The ultimate problem is the cultural emasculation of men, and their requisite NEED to feel empowered, and autonomous. And nothing does that for them right now, in our culture, like owning a gun.

Here we go again with the straw men....."cowboys"...."wild west"....mis-defining "assault rifle".
Where's @Skwim when I need him to exhibit Revoltingest's Law, ie,
gun control arguments always devolve into someone shouting "Tiny penis!".
For the OP:
Try to understand why we like the 2nd Amendment, & our preference for armed self defense.
But if you just make up things like the OP, you're only preaching to the echo chamber.
Good way to collect frubals though.

PureX

Veteran Member

I am not entirely sold on the "Wild West" angle. In fact, I think the problem lies with the NRA and its insistence on spreading propaganda that we somehow "need" guns to protect ourselves from any conceivable threat.
Propaganda is not effective unless it is telling us something we want to hear.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I've met both kinds of people. The cowboy archetype and the fearful NRA type. Though the former tends to also be part of the NRA because they perceive the NRA as the protector of their guns.

But the cowboy types **** me off way more than the fearful NRA types. The person who I knew who fit the cowboy description flaunted gun safety and carry rules. She did things like handed weapons over barrel first, never checked the safety and chamber, insisted on bringing a handgun "in case of bears" to a campground at a park, even when it was pointed out that it is illegal to do so. These are the idiots who think that the only way to solve a gun problem is with another gun.

PureX

Veteran Member
What is so sad about some gun nuts is that if schools are attacked they want to issue handguns to all teachers, then to all bus drivers etc etc.
I don't think these men are "nuts", at all. I just think they feel emasculated (because they are) and owning guns helps them to feel empowered.

These bizarre excuses we hear like everyone should carry a gun, even in schools and churches, and whatever, are just the smoke-screen being thrown up by those who don't want to acknowledge the real problem, or the real solutions.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

The American male CANNOT let go of this "wild west" fantasy and accept the ugly reality of the totally interdependent society in which he now lives. And owning guns is a very important part of maintaining that "wild west" fantasy. That fantasy of personal power and autonomy that he can't get in real life, anymore. And he needs that fantasy so badly that he's willing to let other people's children, husbands, wives, friends, and loved ones die for it.

Until we address this cultural emasculation of men, and their loss of personal power and autonomy in a cultural and economic system created for and run by the wealthy elite, we will never get our society to impose reasonable and effective gun regulation. Greedy gun manufacturers and their paid whores in the legislature are a problem, but they are not the ultimate problem. The ultimate problem is the cultural emasculation of men, and their requisite NEED to feel empowered, and autonomous. And nothing does that for them right now, in our culture, like owning a gun.

I believe it's more to do with the laziness of the typical American male. In Japan long ago they forbid the people to carry weapons. The people were oppressed by the rich man and the Samuri imposed the rich mans will on them. It got so bad the people invented martial arts and practiced fighting skills with simple garden tools in order to fight back. So we as Americans never want to get to the point where we are so oppressed that we need to learn to fight with garden tools, the ownership of guns equal to our typical government enforcement weapons with general peace and harmony is a symbol of the greatness of our freedom, and our acceptance of our government. But who can stop a madman. With the money he had surely he could have bought some fine machine guns through Obama's fast and furious program. What would he care if they were legal or not since he was going to do such a horribly illegal act?

PureX

Veteran Member
No sane person would oppose a ban on automatic weapons. I agree that the gun fetish in this country is very strange. Also, who defines what the "right to bear arms" even means? Certainly no one would insist that everyone has a right to his own personal flamethrowers, bombs, military tanks, etc.
All rights come with the requisite social responsibility. But the people of the U.S. don't want to acknowledge or take ANY social responsibility for their gun rights. And this is patently absurd, as we have taken social responsibility all our other rights (owning and operating any other dangerous machinery, for example), and imposed limits on those rights to protect public safety.

But when it comes to guns, we just cannot accept any social responsibility, at all. And I believe I have expressed the reason why, in this thread.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think these men are "nuts", at all. I just think they feel emasculated (because they are) and owning guns helps them to feel empowered.

These bizarre excuses we hear like everyone should carry a gun, even in schools and churches, and whatever, are just the smoke-screen being thrown up by those who don't want to acknowledge the real problem, or the real solutions.
I don't think it's that simple, because there are plenty of women like this too. I read two posts from the female Cowboy stereotype this morning. 9ne is the person I described earlier and the other is a deer hunter.

PureX

Veteran Member
I've met both kinds of people. The cowboy archetype and the fearful NRA type. Though the former tends to also be part of the NRA because they perceive the NRA as the protector of their guns.

But the cowboy types **** me off way more than the fearful NRA types. The person who I knew who fit the cowboy description flaunted gun safety and carry rules. She did things like handed weapons over barrel first, never checked the safety and chamber, insisted on bringing a handgun "in case of bears" to a campground at a park, even when it was pointed out that it is illegal to do so. These are the idiots who think that the only way to solve a gun problem is with another gun.
Yes, and there are a lot of them; some of them women. But even here, don't you think that 'ego' played a significant role in her obsession with guns? The need to feel like a "rebel", and to be "dangerous" (powerful and autonomous)?

I really think this is the root of the problem. Americans, particularly men, are obsessed with this "cowboy" ideal of self-sufficiency, and of being a "law unto oneself".

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, and there are a lot of them; some of them women. But even here, don't you think that 'ego' played a significant role in her obsession with guns? The need to feel like a "rebel", and to be "dangerous" (powerful and autonomous)?

I really think this is the root of the problem. Americans, particularly men, are obsessed with this "cowboy" ideal of self-sufficiency, and of being a "law unto oneself".
Oh I believe ego is a big part of it, just that it's more complicated than feelings of emasculation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Per the article, they wouldn't issue guns to "all teachers, then to all bus drivers".
The pilot programme will allow volunteers to enter schools with guns under US "concealed carry" laws.
Teachers were taken to a shooting range in Weld County, near Denver, where they were tested on their abilities with weapons.

The course, provided by the Faculty Administrator Safety Training and Emergency Response group (Faster), was set up by parents, law enforcement officers and medical experts who believe that US schools are a "soft target" for violence. The group refers to schools as "victim zones".
It doesn't support the badger's claim.
So once again, who does advocate it?

For teachers who are trained & want to carry, I find allowing it reasonable.
Schools don't have much security, & the status quo of requiring everyone
to be defenseless is not reasonable.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Like countries do with their militaries?

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't think it's that simple, because there are plenty of women like this too. I read two posts from the female Cowboy stereotype this morning. 9ne is the person I described earlier and the other is a deer hunter.
Yes, women also feel ignored, oppressed, and "stuck" in our society. But women rarely shoot anyone over it. Or shoot anyone over anything else, for that matter. Men use violence FAR, FAR more often and quickly than women do. And they own FAR, FAR more guns than women do. The rare exceptions of a women obsessed with guns does not negate the significant male obsession with the "wild west fantasy" in this country.