• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion vs Morning After Pill

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
So, would I be right in saying that you wouldn't really have much against early chemical abortion Dawny? Where the blastocyst is implanted, but it's not really anything beyond a bundle of a few hundred undifferentiated cells?

Or is it the implantation that is the key step for your ethical beliefs?

For me personally, Paul, it's the moment of implantation that is my deal-breaker.

When it comes to this topic, I find myself usually in the same mindset with Dawny. I also have no ethical issues with the Morning After Pill, and I consider myself "pro-life." :)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
This arguement on a worldwide scale is so so detailed it makes my eyes roll into the back of my head.
If your God says don't have abortions and don't take contreception pills then don't, but what annoys me is religious groups trying to destroy the chances of the rest of the people in the world.

Calling someone a murderer for using a pill the morning after is very silly, sure you can be technical but what do people who do such things stand to gain in doing it? I think it is beneficial to society, unwanted pregnancies strain relationships and lifestyles, petrol costs too m uch here to risk having child to feed. Maybe there are things i do not understand but i find it hard to understand why the Catholics try to ban such things even for people who are not catholic at all.

Scott1

I'm curious, are anti-abortionists also against women taking emergency contraception in the form of a pill?
‘Flawed Law’ on Plan B Goes into Effect in State
---------------------snip-------------------------
The former Catholic hospital protocol for rape victims, giving pregnancy and ovulation tests, “was only a prudential judgment, not a matter of settled Church teaching and practice,” wrote Bishop Lori, who is chairman of the U.S. bishops’ Committee on Doctrine.

“Other bishops and moral theologians hold that a pregnancy test alone suffices. Indeed, the Church does not teach that it is intrinsically evil to administer Plan B without first giving an ovulation test or that those who do so are committing an abortion,” Bishop Lori continued.
Bishop Lori used the phrase, “reluctant compliance,” for the hospitals’ adoption of the protocols. He added, “In permitting Catholic hospitals to comply with this law, neither our teaching nor our principles have changed. We have only altered the prudential judgment we previously made; this was done for the good of our Catholic hospitals and those they serve.”

CatholicTranscript.org ~ The Monthly Newspaper of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hartford, Connecticut - ‘Flawed Law’ on Plan B Goes into Effect in State

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
So, would I be right in saying that you wouldn't really have much against early chemical abortion Dawny? Where the blastocyst is implanted, but it's not really anything beyond a bundle of a few hundred undifferentiated cells?

Or is it the implantation that is the key step for your ethical beliefs?

Actually, I do have a problem with early chemical ABORTION. The morning after pill PREVENTS conception from occurring. It's quite similar in composition to many birth control pills.

I believe that life begins at contraception. I do not however, have any issue with pregnancy prevention and as a woman who is quite concerned about my own reproductive well-being, I appreciate the contraceptive choices that are available.

If an individual makes a mistake, the morning after pill, is typically 80% effective in preventing an unwanted pregnancy, if taken 72 hours after sex. In my opinion, it's much easier to take a pill to prevent an unwanted situation than to WAIT and terminate a pregnancy.

+Xausted

Actually, I do have a problem with early chemical ABORTION. The morning after pill PREVENTS conception from occurring. It's quite similar in composition to many birth control pills.

I believe that life begins at contraception. I do not however, have any issue with pregnancy prevention and as a woman who is quite concerned about my own reproductive well-being, I appreciate the contraceptive choices that are available.

If an individual makes a mistake, the morning after pill, is typically 80% effective in preventing an unwanted pregnancy, if taken 72 hours after sex. In my opinion, it's much easier to take a pill to prevent an unwanted situation than to WAIT and terminate a pregnancy.
So what about those failed 20%?

Draka

Wonder Woman

In your mind does conception include implantation? Just wondering, because if there has already been fertilization then the pill prevents implantation so the egg is just flushed out with the next period.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I think it's difficult to know what might happen in any situation until you are confronted with it........If my daughter was a teen and she was raped by some pervert, I certainly would not want her to go through the humiliation and physical pain of having a child under this type of circumstance. Why should her young life be ruined by something like this when there is a way out.........I don't really know the answer and would never judge anyone for what they do, everyone has their own decision to make......This really leaves me with a lot to consider. :confused:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
In your mind does conception include implantation? Just wondering, because if there has already been fertilization then the pill prevents implantation so the egg is just flushed out with the next period.

In my mind, life begins at conception. And of course, this occurs before implantation.

The morning after pill prevents the release of an egg, so conception can't occur. I was under the impression that the morning after pill doesn't prevent implantation. I found two mentions that suggests this theory is believed but not proven. Please see here. And here.

When weighing abortion vs. the morning after pill, even if the morning after pill is proven to prevent the implantation of fertilized eggs, in my mind, it would still be the lesser of two evils. It's designed to prevent pregnancy, not destroy pregnancy.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
But both are simply the killing of a very small number of cells.

I think you misunderstand how the morning after pill works. It's an extension of birth control. It isn't designed to destroy pregnancy. It's designed to prevent conception from occuring, hence the term "emergency contraception".

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think you misunderstand how the morning after pill works. It's an extension of birth control. It isn't designed to destroy pregnancy. It's designed to prevent conception from occuring, hence the term "emergency contraception".

What I meant was the sperm cell fails to fertilize the egg cell, and thus both die. Both had the same potential as a single cell zygote.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
What I meant was the sperm cell fails to fertilize the egg cell, and thus both die. Both had the same potential as a single cell zygote.
Yeah but they die anyway, eggs get passed every month, and sperm gets passed out in the urine if its not used.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Btw, 80% of fertilized eggs don't end up incubating and developing. Does that mean the vast majority of souls in heaven is just a sea of egg cells?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Btw, 80% of fertilized eggs don't end up incubating and developing. Does that mean the vast majority of souls in heaven is just a sea of egg cells?

Where did you find that number, out of curiosity?

I know that 1 in 4 miscarry with most of the miscarriages occurring in the early stages of the pregnancy, often before a pregnancy is suspected.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Where did you find that number, out of curiosity?

I know that 1 in 4 miscarry with most of the miscarriages occurring in the early stages of the pregnancy, often before a pregnancy is suspected.

he might be referring to the fact that many times a fertilized egg doesn't implant in the uterus lining and is flushed out with the period just like an unfertilized egg. This accounts for all those many couples who try to have a baby for quite sometime, having sex during ovulation times, and still fail to become pregnant. Fertilized eggs fail to implant pretty frequently actually. Though I'm not sure on the statistics or how one would even go about testing that. So I can't say anything about the 80% number. Don't know where he got that either. :shrug: