• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion question.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
During church service a few weeks ago our pastor gave a sermon about abortion. He said that because the babies are not properly baptized they cannot enter The Kingdom of Heaven. That of course is a given. However what he went on to say afterwords left a lot of the congregation scratching their heads. He spoke of the unclean spirits of the unsaved babies haunting the wombs of their promiscuous mothers as punishment from God. I don't like to question my pastor, but this doesn't seem biblically sound to me. It seems obvious that the souls of the aborted babies would go strait to hell rather than hang around and torment their mothers as ghosts in their wombs? Perhaps I misunderstood him. If not, I wonder if the hauntings stop if they repent?
This is a metaphor. Abortion and miscarriage can have psychological effects--women can be "haunted" by what might have been if things had gone otherwise.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
During church service a few weeks ago our pastor gave a sermon about abortion. He said that because the babies are not properly baptized they cannot enter The Kingdom of Heaven. That of course is a given. However what he went on to say afterwords left a lot of the congregation scratching their heads. He spoke of the unclean spirits of the unsaved babies haunting the wombs of their promiscuous mothers as punishment from God. I don't like to question my pastor, but this doesn't seem biblically sound to me. It seems obvious that the souls of the aborted babies would go strait to hell rather than hang around and torment their mothers as ghosts in their wombs? Perhaps I misunderstood him. If not, I wonder if the hauntings stop if they repent?
Little children don't need baptism because they are innocent. That's true if you're LDS or Raelian.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Any pastor who uses innocence as a weapon needs his head analysing. Try another church.

Oh, and they are not babies but fetuses

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I've read all three of your thread OPs now.

I think you are likely a troll trying to instigate with overly thick stories that are just there to push buttons. All three are almost identical in style and intent.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This is an unsupported religious hogwash. IMO.
As opposed to what?
Trinitarianism? Racism? Homophobia? The Crusades? The perfection of the Quran?

Why are his unsupported assertions religious hogwash, but your's aren't?
Tom

GoodbyeDave

Why are his unsupported assertions religious hogwash, but your's aren't?
And how exactly does that contribute to the thread? For that matter, the question could be asked of most of your posts.

A question like this has to dealt with within the framework in which it was asked. Your approach is like that of the man who, when asked for directions, replied "Well, if I were going there, I wouldn't start from here."

Rational Agnostic

Good questions and insightful observations. Keep up with the thought-provoking posts!

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Your pastor is a gibbering idiot.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And how exactly does that contribute to the thread?
I am pointing out the fact that people believe religious hogwash all the time. They even commonly refer to the hogwash as "knowledge".

Such as 'I know that Jesus died and then Rose from the dead."
It happens a lot.
Tom

Chris Lovel

searcher
This a a typical example of religion dictating their concept of what people should do and think based on a text written by someone who knew even less that the Pastor. The big problem is those who attend church from a young age are indoctrinated to believe everything they are told. they have lost their power of critical thinking. I feel so sorry for these people as they live in fear. If you read about Near Death Experiences you will find many unbaptized people who find themselves in heaven during an NDE. If you really want to know what's going on read "Conversations with God" by Neale W. Walsh, better still "Proof of Heaven" by Doctor Eban Alexander a neurosurgeon.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Oh repent every time, it's done wonders for the world.

Altfish

Veteran Member
As far as the Catholic Church is concerned it has been 'scrapped'.
"Vatican-appointed theologians is about to recommend that the Catholic Church close the doors of limbo forever. Many Catholics grew up thinking limbo -- the place where babies who have died without baptism spend eternity in a state of "natural happiness" but not in the presence of God -- was part of Catholic tradition. Instead, it was a hypothesis -- a theory held out as a possible way to balance the Christian belief in the necessity of baptism with belief in God's mercy. Like hypotheses in any branch of science, a theological hypothesis can be proven wrong or be set aside when it is clear it does not help explain Catholic faith. "
The 1992 Catechism maintains a very deliberate silence about limbo.
God must have got it wrong...I wonder what else he got wrong too.

InChrist

Free4ever
He does not seem biblically sound or literate to me either with either of the points he taught about babies.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'm puzzled. One question.
Why do you listen to your pastor?

Why I ask.
Your pastor teaches that children should be baptized. Something found nowhere in the Bible.
You say you don't like to question your pastor, but yet you don't seem to know if what he is saying is from the Bible. :dizzy:
I suggest you start questioning your pastor.
Perhaps start with the question: "Could you show me in the Bible, where children should be baptized?"

You might be made to feel like you need to pray more, and release those demons, but I think that would be better than sitting there listening to the demons.
The longer you sit there listening to them, the more likely it is you will end up like some on these forums saying, "There is no God." and "The Bible is a book of myths."

My advice to you is find someone willing to teach you what the Bible says. Those people are likely knocking at your door on a regular basis. Some people refer to them as pest. Some refer to them as a God send.
If you give them a chance, you may find the answers to some of the questions you ask here, and more - answers found in your Bible.

The Bible gives no support to the idea that
the souls of the aborted babies would go strait to hell rather than hang around and torment their mothers as ghosts in their wombs
o_O

nPeace

Veteran Member
True.... True...

But I don't think that is a good reason to stay away from church but rather find a better church.
It's easy to think all are the same. Especially if you run from one to another, and find not much difference.
After a while you get confused, and tired. The next step is to give up.

arthra

Baha'i

For Baha'is the souls of infants are protected:

"Infants are under the shadow of the favor of God, and as they have not committed any sin and are not soiled with the impurities of the world of nature, they are centers of the manifestation of bounty, and the Eye of Compassion will be turned upon them."

(Provisional Translations, Star of the West (Volume 1))

A prayer for a pregnant mother:

"O my Lord! I dedicate that which is in my womb to Thee. Then cause it to be a praiseworthy child in Thy Kingdom and a fortunate one by Thy favour and generosity; to develop and grow up under the charge of Thine education.
Verily, Thou are the Generous! Verily, Thou art the Lord of Great Favour!"

(SOW - Star of the West, Star of the West - 5)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
During church service a few weeks ago our pastor gave a sermon about abortion. He said that because the babies are not properly baptized they cannot enter The Kingdom of Heaven. That of course is a given.
Actually it is not a "given".

Jesus said to bring the children unto him because they are of the "kingdom of God". It doesn't say to bring only baptized children. Jesus also refers to the innocence of a child.

In the earliest tradition of the Church, usually it was only adults that were baptized, but there was no belief that children were somehow doomed to eternal punishment because they weren't baptized. Where that misconception comes from was because of a literalistic interpretation of a verse at the end of Mark that says that unless one believes and is baptized they cannot be saved. But remember this was being said to adults by Jesus, not children.

So, what you could do is to confront your pastor and ask him why would God punish innocent children simply because they haven't gone through a particular ritual? If he doesn't have an answer suitable to you, then maybe seek out a different denomination.