• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion: Are you pro-life or pro-choice?

What is your stance on abortion?

• Total voters
Maize said:
That's not my argument either. The point I was trying to make is that I see it as rather hypocritical for the person who does believe that life begins at conception to say it's OK for a pregnancy that was the product of rape to be aborted, but not a pregnancy that was the product of consensual sex.
Well, a person who does absolutely believe that life begins at conception shouldn't condone an abortion because of rape.

WeAreAllOne said:
did you mean to quote me? that responce had nothing to do with the question. I dont think.
Yes, my point was to highlight the fact that abortion laws shouldn't just have to do with religion, but if you brought science into the arguement, then you could argue the same thing.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Daniel Burbank said:
Well, a person who does absolutely believe that life begins at conception shouldn't condone an abortion because of rape.
So the person who believes in life beginning at conception should advocate that raped women should be denied abortions, correct?

Maize said:
So the person who believes in life beginning at conception should advocate that raped women should be denied abortions, correct?
Yes, unless there are other complications (if the baby were at risk of death, let's say). Then it would depend.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Daniel Burbank said:
Rape is sex, but it isn't sex as god intended sex to be.
Murder with a baseball bat is playing baseball?

Shooting someone with a gun is hunting?

godfree1

Though it will never personally affect me in any way whatsoever, a woman is not an incubator. A fetus is not a child. Abortion is not murder. Keep abortion safe, legal and accessible! (Thank you for not breeding.)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Daniel Burbank said:
Yes, unless there are other complications (if the baby were at risk of death, let's say). Then it would depend.
Why should complications change the situation? If the baby were at risk of death, how exactly does aborting it resolve that?

Jensa said:
Murder with a baseball bat is playing baseball?

Shooting someone with a gun is hunting?
The definition of playing baseball is more than just whacking something with a bat, it involves more.
Shooting someone with a gun certainly doesn't fit the definition of hunting as sport. But of course if you're hunting someone to kill, then yes it fits the definition of hunting.
Rape certainly doesn't fit the definition of consensual sex (pardon my spelling), but it does fit the definition of sex in general.
God didn't intend for there to be a difference between consensual sex (again pardon my spelling) and just sex, because god didn't intend for non-consensual sex. Humans invented non-consensual sex.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Daniel Burbank said:
Rape is sex, but it isn't sex as god intended sex to be.
I was raped. It was not sex.

It was a violation. It was a disgusting act. How are you try to twist it into "reproduction" to, again, deny me my right to my own body. For shame.

jamaesi said:
I was raped. It was not sex.

It was a violation. It was a disgusting act. How are you try to twist it into "reproduction" to, again, deny me my right to my own body. For shame.
The intention of rape is certainly not reproduction, and I'm certainly sorry to hear that you were raped. My view does not speak for a woman who was raped and became pregnant. I cannot speak for them, so I'm sorry if I've offended you (or anyone else).

I realize that my view is confusing, and the way I stated it conflicted itself. If life were proven to begin at conception, then I would have to say not to end someone else's life (the fetus) because of a terrible experience. If a fetus were proven to have life, then it's its body, not yours, and you have no right to end it. That would be murder. But if it were proven that life begins at birth, then I would have to say that the abortion of a pregnancy as a result of rape is perfectly justifiable, as that makes it part of your body, and because the purpose of the sex was not reproduction, then you should be allowed to do as you wish with the fetus. But, seeing as neither view has been proven, I have forced myself into a moderate view.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
But, seeing as neither view has been proven, I have forced myself into a moderate view.
Calling rape sex is far from moderate.

And to be perfectly blunt, I don't think you have no right to say what a rape victim does. Only she can make that decision.

jamaesi said:
Calling rape sex is far from moderate.QUOTE]
My moderate view not calling rape sex, but the view about the rights to an abortion when you are raped. I personally couldn't condone aborting a fetus conceived out of rape if it were proved that life began at conception. Because that would be, in my view, murder. Which doesn't become such a radical stance if it were proved that life began at conception.

But I'm done on this topic anyway. You're right, I can't really be talking about what a rape victim should do anyway.