• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A wonderful Pat Condell video on Islamophobia

Laika

Premium Member
What can I say? This guy tells it like it is.

He needs to work on his delivery. Maybe sit on a comfy chair in front of a fire place with a glass of red wine, and say the same thing- only slower to savour the effect of the insults. He's saying them too fast for my politically correct brain to register them so it sound more like White Noise.

idav

Being
Premium Member
He is so full of it and himself I can hardly listen to the guy. Any of his particular strawmans anybody want to tackle or are we just posting hateful rants?

Rational Agnostic

He is so full of it and himself I can hardly listen to the guy. Any of his particular strawmans anybody want to tackle or are we just posting hateful rants?

If you think he is wrong, why aren't you trying to refute him? Fact is, he is spot on. He doesn't mince words, that's for sure, but there is nothing hateful about him. In fact, just the opposite. He is standing up for all of the victims of Islamic oppression around the world and doing the right thing by trying to give a voice to people who don't have a voice.

idav

Being
Premium Member
If you think he is wrong, why aren't you trying to refute him? Fact is, he is spot on. He doesn't mince words, that's for sure, but there is nothing hateful about him. In fact, just the opposite. He is standing up for all of the victims of Islamic oppression around the world and doing the right thing by trying to give a voice to people who don't have a voice.
Cause they are strawmans and thus not worth the effort. Lets, see got to about 32 seconds before the first strawman, "last two decades of grievance mongering and knee jerk offense" which is just a way of saying that the grievances are coming from a bunch of whiners that don't have any substance. Thats some BS. When I can't go 30 seconds without facepalming there is an issue. (i did listen to the whole thing BTW)

I am sure he is well intentioned, plenty of anti-religious and anti-theists are well intentioned I'm sure, our super heroes ready to rescue us from our religious selves.:rolleyes:

It would be easier if you could summarize in your own words, then we could discuss/debate.

Rational Agnostic

Cause they are strawmans and thus not worth the effort. Lets, see got to about 32 seconds before the first strawman, "last two decades of grievance mongering and knee jerk offense" which is just a way of saying that the grievances are coming from a bunch of whiners that don't have any substance. Thats some BS. When I can't go 30 seconds without facepalming there is an issue. (i did listen to the whole thing BTW)

I am sure he is well intentioned, plenty of anti-religious and anti-theists are well intentioned I'm sure, our super heroes ready to rescue us from our religious selves.:rolleyes:

It would be easier if you could summarize in your own words, then we could discuss/debate.

What he is saying in essence is that "Islamophobia" is a Muslim shaming tactic used to paint anyone who disagrees with Muslim values as being a bigot. Since people (particularly women) are oppressed severely in Muslim-majority countries, he is stating that instead of raising awareness about so-called "Islamophobia" we should raise awareness about the real issue: Muslim abuse of women, gays, Jews, Christians, atheists, and, come to think of it, every non-Muslim. I agree with him wholeheartedly. I have nothing against Muslims as individuals; many of them are very nice people. However, the core values of the Quran (when interpreted in a literal sense) are evil, and awareness needs to be raised about this in order to help liberate people from Islamic oppression.

idav

Being
Premium Member
What he is saying in essence is that "Islamophobia" is a Muslim shaming tactic used to paint anyone who disagrees with Muslim values as being a bigot. Since people (particularly women) are oppressed severely in Muslim-majority countries, he is stating that instead of raising awareness about so-called "Islamophobia" we should raise awareness about the real issue: Muslim abuse of women, gays, Jews, Christians, atheists, and, come to think of it, every non-Muslim. I agree with him wholeheartedly. I have nothing against Muslims as individuals; many of them are very nice people. However, the core values of the Quran (when interpreted in a literal sense) are evil, and awareness needs to be raised about this in order to help liberate people from Islamic oppression.
Now we are getting somewhere. Given our colorful history with Islam I don't really find it too hard to believe that there may be a genuine fear of Islam. More out of a misunderstanding of the religion. Personally I don't see it as a ploy to label people bigots for having genuine concerns about any particular religion.

Rational Agnostic

Now we are getting somewhere. Given our colorful history with Islam I don't really find it too hard to believe that there may be a genuine fear of Islam. More out of a misunderstanding of the religion. Personally I don't see it as a ploy to label people bigots for having genuine concerns about any particular religion.

Look at the worst abusers of women's rights in the world. Most of them are Muslim-majority nations. NINETY PERCENT of women in Pakistan are domestically abused. Women in Saudi Arabia aren't allowed to drive cars, and are arrested for wearing skirts in 120 degree weather. Many women died in a building fire in Saudi Arabia and the firefighters refused to rescue them BECAUSE THEY HADN'T COVERED THEIR WHOLE BODIES. All of this evil abuse is in the name of the religion of Islam. I choose not to deny it, and to call out this evil. Do you? And don't tell me that these evil human rights abuses are unrelated to Islam, and would occur whether or not the religion was the majority in these countries, because we all know full well that the religion of Islam (fundamentalist Islam to be specific) is behind them.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Look at the worst abusers of women's rights in the world. Most of them are Muslim-majority nations. NINETY PERCENT of women in Pakistan are domestically abused. Women in Saudi Arabia aren't allowed to drive cars, and are arrested for wearing skirts in 120 degree weather. Many women died in a building fire in Saudi Arabia and the firefighters refused to rescue them BECAUSE THEY HADN'T COVERED THEIR WHOLE BODIES. All of this evil abuse is in the name of the religion of Islam. I choose not to deny it, and to call out this evil. Do you? And don't tell me that these evil human rights abuses are unrelated to Islam, and would occur whether or not the religion was the majority in these countries, because we all know full well that the religion of Islam (fundamentalist Islam to be specific) is behind them.
I am whole heartedly against any form of theocracy, Sharia law does concern me more than the religion itself. I'm well aware of the issues with women in the Middle East but then I look at India having the same issues without Sharia and mainly being Hindu and nobody hardly says anything about Hindus.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I don't think that is the case for majority of Christians, a lot think God will protect US and Israel from the world, everyone else including Muslims would be seen as the enemy. I think I saw a recent thread saying just that. People did the funny icon like you do with some of my stuff in this thread.

I'm sorry, I find this post confusing? I was bringing up hatred of Jews, not Christians. Can you help me connect the dots?