• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"A week that reveals how rotten today’s Republican Party is"

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
This is an opinion piece, written by Jennifer Rubin.

President Trump has had more-scandalous weeks. He has had weeks with more bombshell bad-news stories. But no week has matched this one in revealing the moral and intellectual rot at the center of the GOP. Pandemic intellectual dishonesty and celebration of uncivilized conduct now permeate the party and its support in the conservative ecosystem. Consider what we saw and learned this week:

Opinion | A week that reveals how rotten today’s Republican Party is

Then she list out her grievances:

• Trump in Saudi Arabia disclaims any concern for human rights.
  • Trump bullies NATO allies in public (and physically shoves one leader).
  • Trump’s budget is built on a rickety scaffold of math errors, economic nonsense and fantasyland predictions.
  • Trump’s advisers defend massive cuts to the safety net, coupled with huge giveaways to the rich.
  • The Congressional Budget Office score, which the House did not require before voting on a mammoth health-care bill, confirms that GOP leaders falsely claimed they protected people with preexisting conditions.
  • Trump’s lawyers contemptuously swat away a request for information relating to his receipt of foreign monies, finding that it is too impractical to abide by his own promise and the Constitution.
  • Trump has nothing but praise for thuggish autocrats, including Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.
  • Trump continues to pursue a Muslim ban, repeatedly struck down by the courts as bigotry disguised under the cloak of national security.
  • A GOP congressional candidate, conclusive evidence suggests, attacks a reporter and apparently lies about it (he later apologizes for actions he denied less than 24 hours earlier), but party leaders do not repudiate him or demand that he withdraw.
  • Jared Kushner, the beneficiary of egregious nepotism, now is a focus of the FBI’s Russia investigation, bringing a once-in-a-lifetime scandal one step closer to the presidency.
  • Sean Hannity is forced to stop propagating a detestable hoax about a young man’s murder; Fox News after a week withdraws the original false report without much explanation or an apology.

I think she raises some interesting perspectives:

Conventional wisdom says that Trump executed a hostile takeover of the GOP. What we have seen this week suggests a friendly merger has taken place. Talk radio hosts have been spouting misogyny and anti-immigrant hysteria for years; Trump is their ideal leader, not merely a flawed vehicle for their views. Fox News has been dabbling in conspiracy theories (e.g. birtherism, climate-change denial) for decades; now Republicans practice intellectual nihilism. Nearly every point of criticism raised against the left — softness on foreign aggressors, irresponsible budgeting, identity politics, executive overreach, contempt for the rule of law, infantilizing voters — has become a defining feature of the right

Anti-Trump Republicans have debated whether the GOP can be “reformed” or must be abandoned. Where would one even begin to reform a party such as this — and who would lead such an effort? (Sorry, but Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska cannot themselves run a national party.) It would take a clean sweep of not merely officeholders but also right-wing media outlets to recover anything approaching the intellectual rigor and moral decency conservatives used to cherish.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Your right its an opinion piece that will make the extreme left happy most everyone else will write it off as opinion.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Your right its an opinion piece that will make the extreme left happy most everyone else will write it off as opinion.

Jennifer Rubin writes from a conservative perspective, and no one is hiding the fact it is an opinion piece, it says it right on the article.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Technically Jennifer Rubin is right wing media. The is not just about the Left and the Right anymore, it is about Trump supporters and everyone else. Not everyone on the Right rallies behind Trump and cheers.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Technically Jennifer Rubin is right wing media. The is not just about the Left and the Right anymore, it is about Trump supporters and everyone else. Not everyone on the Right rallies behind Trump and cheers.

She may be Right Wing but has been against Trump since the primaries.

Her words October 2016

"I think Donald Trump lacks the moral core and appreciation for American values that we have come to expect from every president," Rubin told CNNMoney in a phone interview last week. "He has normalized racism, misogyny, xenophobia and nativism."

"This is not someone who should be president of the United States," she added with more than a little resignation. "But he will be."

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
That explains your responses to them.

But to toss you a bone.....
I oppose his protectionism & company specific trade policies.

"That explains your responses to them."

:rolleyes: Your ego definitely rivals mine.

"I oppose his protectionism & company specific trade policies."

I love the evasion, maybe you should try reading my post, as I asked, "What are some of the things Trump has done that you disagree with?"

How about we start simple: The grabbing women inappropriately: Do you agree with his action or disagree with it?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
She may be Right Wing but has been against Trump since the primaries.

Her words October 2016

"I think Donald Trump lacks the moral core and appreciation for American values that we have come to expect from every president," Rubin told CNNMoney in a phone interview last week. "He has normalized racism, misogyny, xenophobia and nativism."

"This is not someone who should be president of the United States," she added with more than a little resignation. "But he will be."

Ya, so and what?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I love the evasion, maybe you should try reading my post, as I asked, "What are some of the things Trump has done that you disagree with?"
Geeze...I give you a direct answer to your query, & you utterly ignore it.
You're like a woman.....you ask a question, expecting a particular answer.
Then you're upset that I didnt' read your mind.

Btw, that shirt does make your butt look big.

He has actually done this, ie, interfering in the management decisions
of companies to induce them to do less manufacturing outside the country.
I oppose such ad hoc measures.
1) It's not systematic, so effects are limited.
2) It's ripe for crony capitalism.

I disagree with these things he's done.
Now, what would you like to misunderstand next?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Nothing except that as you said the piece is opinion and her opinion is that Trump is bad. That is one persons opinion who happens to write for the Washington post nothing more.

Well then I would have to ask the question: Ya, so and what?

I am not denying or hiding anything you are saying here. In fact, I put that it was an opinion piece at the top of the OP along with a link to the writers profile page so that it was made clear.