• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A way to learn the truth about the Baha’i Faith?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks for this information.
My initial impression is that the Arabic translation is closer to the original in Persian than the English one.

Regards

Shoghi Effendi went to england and studied english so he could translate with more accuracy. This is also why he chose the King James style. He said it better reflected the flow of Persia and Arabic.

No one knew His Grandfathers Message better than Shoghi Effendi. Thus translation is a tricky business. A direct literal translation may not portray the intent from one language to another. This must be known. Modern day translators of the Baha'i Writings refer back to what Shoghi Effendi did.

Peace be with you, regards Tony

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Shoghi Effendi went to england and studied english so he could translate with more accuracy. This is also why he chose the King James style. He said it better reflected the flow of Persia and Arabic.

No one knew His Grandfathers Message better than Shoghi Effendi. Thus translation is a tricky business. A direct literal translation may not portray the intent from one language to another. This must be known. Modern day translators of the Baha'i Writings refer back to what Shoghi Effendi did.

Peace be with you, regards Tony
"Thus translation is a tricky business."
I agree with one.
But the translator should not take liberty with the original. Right, please?
Regards

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Thus translation is a tricky business."
I agree with one.
But the translator should not take liberty with the original. Right, please?
Regards

Shoghi Effendi was given full authority as the Guardian of the Faith, to interpret and offer that in translation.

Abdul'baha was also given full authority of interpretation of the Holy Writings

Since Shoghi Effendi, no one can Interpret and this is why translation has been slow.

We will need great scholars to study all the works of Baha'u'llah in the original languages and gain a great understanding of the intent, prior to translations. This has been happening and a few new translations have recently been released. These need to approved by the Universal House of Justice.

Regards Tony