• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Simple Start

ecco

Veteran Member
the one True God above all others, Jehovah. ... I see it causing confusion regarding many religious, theological, and Biblical beliefs.

Just like all other religious people you believe your god / your version of god / whatever, is the only true belief / version / whatever.

In essence you / your beliefs are no different than anyone else's. There need be no confusion about that.

Audie

Veteran Member
Now you know how I feel when I attempt to explain my theology (or polytheism and pantheism in general) to people most of the time. :D

Welcome to the reality that is strong Abrahamic classical monotheist bias in Western culture!

It is always all those others what are dumb or crazy,
not the lone genius who towers above all.

The geniuses are easily recognized by their impeccable grammar.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It is always all those others what are dumb or crazy,
not the lone genius who towers above all.

The geniuses are easily recognized by their impeccable grammar.

I'm sorry, what? How does this relate at all to what I said?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why wouldn't there be? Three thousand years ago there was probably strong bias toward druidism in European culture.

Haha... there wasn't, but I think you're missing my point. It was a response to the frustrations of the OP - frustrations caused by the fact that most folks can't think outside the classical monotheism box when discussing theology and theism. I was empathizing with them.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Call it "synonym" but the game is equivocation.

As for corner on "truth" that is a game for the religious
folks. Or perhaps some sort of would- be philosophers.

Your faith that you have the truth in "Jesus" is actually,
at its base, faith in yourself, that you have made the
right call.

That is interesting of you to say, it sounds you believe there is no absolute truth?

Yes, I trusted myself pretty well when I trusted in Jesus. I felt like I had been searching for truth and His statement about finding truth in His person resonated.

I'm not trying to equivocate anything, I say this honestly, but I don't like jargon, particularly Christian jargon. Some think faith is reasonable, some think it's not reasoned, everything I've seen on the Greek word "pisteuo" is trust. I feel I know Jesus well and trust Him. I have faith in you or my spouse or my friends to be honest, that is, I trust you to be honest.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I don't know how that replies to my post, since I never said we should worship them. I just wondered why you only pointed out at negative things when atheists can in the same sense value positive things more than they do the negative ones you focused on.

Personally, I don't believe God wants worship or any other human thing.

That would be your personal belief, because biblically, God deserves and asks for worship. It's actually commanded in the Decalogue. And since most religionists worship a god, I will assume you are going by blind faith here unless you've encountered God and God said, "Don't worship me or give me anything of yours."?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Who says we should worship healthcare or human rights?

An Omnipotent God needs your worship? Really?

Why does God commanding worship imply He needs worship? I think God commands things for us that bless us. Born agains enjoy communing with God, in His presence!

Jumi

That would be your personal belief, because biblically, God deserves and asks for worship. It's actually commanded in the Decalogue. And since most religionists worship a god, I will assume you are going by blind faith here unless you've encountered God and God said, "Don't worship me or give me anything of yours."?
Quite offensive, hostile way to put it. I will similarly assume you go by blindly trusting books. Yes, I experience God, what made me not be an atheist.

Audie

Veteran Member
That is interesting of you to say, it sounds you believe there is no absolute truth?

Yes, I trusted myself pretty well when I trusted in Jesus. I felt like I had been searching for truth and His statement about finding truth in His person resonated.

I'm not trying to equivocate anything, I say this honestly, but I don't like jargon, particularly Christian jargon. Some think faith is reasonable, some think it's not reasoned, everything I've seen on the Greek word "pisteuo" is trust. I feel I know Jesus well and trust Him. I have faith in you or my spouse or my friends to be honest, that is, I trust you to be honest.

How it "sounds" to you is irrelevant to anything
under discussion. In the event, though, I do not concern myself with this abstract notion of "truth:.

Good that you agree that your faith began with
faith in yourself.

RE eqquivocation-

Of course, in the furthest extremes of equivocation,
there may be something you could find.

Anyway-do you ever wonder about whether words
like "faith" and "worship" actually are what you want
to say about atheists? None of us see it that way.
Maybe we know something you do not?

So, again, do you wish to make your faith in worship of in god or spouse equivalent to the passion of a degenerate?

If not,you might choose different words.

For my part, my belief in certain matters is based on
evidence, data, real things. I do not have 'faith"
in science, say, as in "belief in things untestable".

It is your deal what you wish to say of yourself, just
dont toss me in the same bucket, or, up come the
corrections. :D

ecco

Veteran Member
An Omnipotent God needs your worship? Really?
Why does God commanding worship imply He needs worship? I think God commands things for us that bless us. Born agains enjoy communing with God, in His presence!
So, God doesn't need your worship. God commands your worship because He thinks it would be good for you to worship Him.

Sorta' like a mommy saying to a six-year-old...
I don't need you to brush your teeth - I command you to brush your teeth because it's good for you.

I guess some people need to be treated like six year old children.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Quite offensive, hostile way to put it. I will similarly assume you go by blindly trusting books. Yes, I experience God, what made me not be an atheist.

I don't blindly trust books or Jesus, I have reason to trust the Bible and Jesus. I'm glad you experience God. Check yourself, are you assured of salvation? I'm 100% certain of eternal life IMHO, because I trust the atonement rather than personal or spiritual experiences.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
How it "sounds" to you is irrelevant to anything
under discussion. In the event, though, I do not concern myself with this abstract notion of "truth:.

Good that you agree that your faith began with
faith in yourself.

RE eqquivocation-

Of course, in the furthest extremes of equivocation,
there may be something you could find.

Anyway-do you ever wonder about whether words
like "faith" and "worship" actually are what you want
to say about atheists? None of us see it that way.
Maybe we know something you do not?

So, again, do you wish to make your faith in worship of in god or spouse equivalent to the passion of a degenerate?

If not,you might choose different words.

For my part, my belief in certain matters is based on
evidence, data, real things. I do not have 'faith"
in science, say, as in "belief in things untestable".

It is your deal what you wish to say of yourself, just
dont toss me in the same bucket, or, up come the
corrections. :D

I understand. I would say human propensity is to worship idols, and often, one addiction/worship is replaced with another--I will stop drinking to excess and instead have burning focus on work. God is the correct recipient of worship.

I've never met an atheist or Christian who completely avoided idolatrous worship of things aside from God.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
So, God doesn't need your worship. God commands your worship because He thinks it would be good for you to worship Him.

Sorta' like a mommy saying to a six-year-old...
I don't need you to brush your teeth - I command you to brush your teeth because it's good for you.

I guess some people need to be treated like six year old children.

You got one correct! I ordered my children to brush their teeth, respect others, and go to church.

Addicts and atheists need to be treated like children sometimes, too. They don't like it, but pride goes before destruction.

Audie

Veteran Member
I understand. I would say human propensity is to worship idols, and often, one addiction/worship is replaced with another--I will stop drinking to excess and instead have burning focus on work. God is the correct recipient of worship.

I've never met an atheist or Christian who completely avoided idolatrous worship of things aside from God.

I suppose it comes down to semantics, and your
overall conception of the universe, and your
place in it.

As in, to you, the most fundamental, the central
fact of all reality is the existence of "god", is it
not so?

So all of human nature and behaviour would have
to be seen in relation to that. Again, is this not so?

To me-
The words "god", "worship", "idol" to me, are all in
the same realm as words specific to other things
of interest to some, and not to me. "Srimmage",
"buttonhook", "lateral". (I had to look those up
coz "scrimmage" is the only one I'd heard)

A footballist might say "EVERYone has a Line
of Scrimmage!" "Nobody is without the faith
of buttonhook!"

"But when they do it about anything but FOOTBALL
as the correct object of srimmage, they will
never be drop kicked thro' the goalposts of life!"

Your frame of reference, is, well, your frame of reference.

To present it as true, factual and all, is getting into
facts not in evidence. I notice you phrase it as
"I would say....". Good! :D
And I would not say it, for the reasons above.

you forgot to address this q-

So, again, do you wish to make your faith in spouse, or worship
of god equivalent to the passion of a degenerate?

Audie

Veteran Member
You got one correct! I ordered my children to brush their teeth, respect others, and go to church.

Addicts and atheists need to be treated like children sometimes, too. They don't like it, but pride goes before destruction.

So do some other things. Which among them
might apply to you?

Jumi

I don't blindly trust books or Jesus, I have reason to trust the Bible and Jesus. I'm glad you experience God. Check yourself, are you assured of salvation? I'm 100% certain of eternal life IMHO, because I trust the atonement rather than personal or spiritual experiences.
Why would I check myself for answers? It's not like humans are gods.

I'm fine with your beliefs being yours. It doesn't however matter to me if you say you're 100% certain of something where you can't show proof to me. I think you were being purposely rude when you called my views "blind belief".

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
A god is anything or anyone who is attributed a might that is greater than the one attributing it, so the statement that there are no god(s) is false. Correct?
I suggest an amendment:
To be more specific being Almighty is one of the attributes of G-d among many, the Mightiest than the human imagination.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
To me, immortality is the factor. :)
Yes it is one of His attributes among many in absolute form.
Alongwith being Almighty- the mightiest than the imagination of the human mind, another attributes of the truthful G-d is being Immortal- He is All-Living, never to die.

Regards

Reactions: syo