• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Return to the Argument from Evil (by Epicurus)

InChrist

Free4ever
There is an another example that I always considered unexplainable for God, since He could save one innocent life without any visible, nor miraculous intervention, which might mess up with people's free will.

The typical case, which happens every now and then, during the summer. A stressed out parent forgets to bring his little kid to the kindergarten, parks the car in the parking lot outside, go to work, and the kid horribly and slowly dies in the heat inside the car.

A possible way to save that life would have been something as simple as inducing a little memory in the father's brain. Or letting the kid making some noise before parking. The father would have had never interpreted it as divine intervention. So, it would have been a win win situation.

But no. God literally let that kid die for no apparent reason at all, destroying, in the process, also the father, who will presumably live his entire life with an excruciating bad consciousness.

I think that when we say that God does not exist we are helping Him. Since His non existence is the only excuse He really has.

Ciao

- viole
Yeah, well I suppose according to your plan God could simply tweek the brain of every person to remind them the abortion they’re planning to get is really killing an innocent human life, or the woman they are raping or beating is someone created in God’s image, or that stealing, lying, cheating, violence, etc. against another person is truly harmful and actually is sin against the Creator of life Himself.
So where’s the personnel responsibility, accountability and free will again?

InChrist

Free4ever
And yet, if a parent simply "allows" something horrible to happen to a child, while not actually causing the harm, would you let that parent off the hook?
But God is not a finite human parent. According to the scriptures, God is an eternal Being, the Creator of heaven and earth with an eternal plan for beings created in His image that supersedes this physical, temporal life on earth, even the present evils.

So the question is; does God, as an infinite all-knowing Being, have a valid reason for temporarily allowing human beings the freedom to choose between evil or good?

RestlessSoul

None at all. Is that how you see creation?

As a metaphor, it has it’s limitations, but to an extent it serves.

I see creation as an unfolding kaleidoscope of metaphor and allusion. And I see God as an infinitely complex, ever evolving mystery; the true nature of which we can only ever catch glimpses of.

I do believe it to be benign also. And it’s essence is love.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Its not the policeman's job to protect her.

"“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”

Police Have No Duty to Protect You, Federal Court Affirms Yet Again | Ryan McMaken

Why do people assume its a gods job to protect them and stop evil.
Maybe since betrayal of a gods laws in the garden man has been left to go on his own to make and deal with his own comings.
There was no garden, no apple, no original sin. That is "myth" -- you may have heard of it.

In any case, a lot of police departments are going to have give up their motto "To Serve and Protect," including LA and my home town, Toronto.

In the meantime, since you seem to be really attached to feeling guilty for being you, you go ahead and accept whatever punishment God feels like bothering to rain down on you. In deference to your feelings on the matter, I won't speak up on your behalf.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Okay then.

But if one thinks of the creation of the universe as akin to a child being born, how much volition does either the child or the mother have at the moment of birth?
Hm, God pregnant with a universe -- that paints a picture, doesn't it? Also raises the question of paternity...:p

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Its not the policeman's job to protect her.

"“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”

Police Have No Duty to Protect You, Federal Court Affirms Yet Again | Ryan McMaken

Why do people assume its a gods job to protect them and stop evil.
Maybe since betrayal of a gods laws in the garden man has been left to go on his own to make and deal with his own comings.

Depends on the country.
In Brazil, if a policeman watches a crime happen and does nothing at all, and he had the means to prevent it from happening, it is as if he himself had committed the crime.

We Never Know

No Slack
There was no garden, no apple, no original sin. That is "myth" -- you may have heard of it.

In any case, a lot of police departments are going to have give up their motto "To Serve and Protect," including LA and my home town, Toronto.

In the meantime, since you seem to be really attached to feeling guilty for being you, you go ahead and accept whatever punishment God feels like bothering to rain down on you. In deference to your feelings on the matter, I won't speak up on your behalf.
Lol. I don't believe in a god.
How is it I can bring up a supposed story about a god to try to answer your post about a god and you assume I'm a god believer?
I guess I must assume you are a believer for seeking info about a god. Is that how it works?

PS: maybe it was because I made void your policeman analogy.
Anyways I still want to know why you assume a god is supposed protect humans and stop evil? Is this something you believe, were told, made up....

We Never Know

No Slack
Depends on the country.
In Brazil, if a policeman watches a crime happen and does nothing at all, and he had the means to prevent it from happening, it is as if he himself had committed the crime.
I posted about my country so it doesn't depend here.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
You don't?
Then we do agree that the monotheist religions are completely amoral (as is their god)?
I'm not offering an opinion about them one way or the other, other than to say since I'm not a follower, I'm not seeing why I should be concerned if any of my opinions run counter to their interpretations of their scriptures.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Then I disagree with your statement that subjectivity is pretty much useless here. Essentially every conversation tends to involve a certain degree of subjectivity. On this particular case I am asking you about a thought of yours: What relation you see between my post and your question. The entire point of having a conversation is to make yourself understood by someone else.
So you're saying you think cheese actually is a rhinoceros.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem about your argument, and pretty much any argument that revolves around putting into question the existence of evil is that by the same token you can not assert that good exists. It is a self-defeating argument.

Only if you're trying to prove the existence of good.

In other words, you also attack the premise that God is omnibenevolent. For all we know, in whatever grand scheme there may be what you consider good may in fact be the greatest evil.

Could well be. For all we know He's just this giant kid pulling the wings off of flies to amuse himself.

My point is that the PoE doesn't prove that he is, or anything else about God.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yeah, well I suppose according to your plan God could simply tweek the brain of every person to remind them the abortion they’re planning to get is really killing an innocent human life, or the woman they are raping or beating is someone created in God’s image, or that stealing, lying, cheating, violence, etc. against another person is truly harmful and actually is sin against the Creator of life Himself.
So where’s the personnel responsibility, accountability and free will again?
Well, one is wanted (abortion) the other is not (forgetting a kid in the car to boil under the sun). So, your symmetry does not obtain.

and what do you men we re in His image? Is He into killing kids, too? According to the Bible looks like He likes to kill women and children, ripping apart pregnant women, and such.

so, why does He complain? He should have made us in someone else’s image, I suppose.

ciao

- viole

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Lol. I don't believe in a god.
How is it I can bring up a supposed story about a god to try to answer your post about a god and you assume I'm a god believer?
I guess I must assume you are a believer for seeking info about a god. Is that how it works?

PS: maybe it was because I made void your policeman analogy.
Anyways I still want to know why you assume a god is supposed protect humans and stop evil? Is this something you believe, were told, made up....
When discussing the existence or non-existence of frazzits, I can only speak to what I have heard of frazzits. It is the same with gods -- I grew up in a Christian world, and that's the God I'm aware of. You know, the one who "so loved the world" that He sacrificed His own Son to save us. But as was pointed out by another poster, earlier, won't even plant a teensy hint in a man's head to save a toddler from dying a terrible death in a hot car.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The "function" of evil in the Epicurus dilemma is its use to establish an evidence of absence or not. It's a criteria of analysis.

No that's why variable exists in mathematical equation. You don't need a set value. You only need a set function or a set definition.

Yes, if all you're interested in are hypothetical solutions. That is: an equation where the solution itself has no set value.

In this equation, or actually the three equations of the PoE, a set value is assigned to each solution:

God is either :
limited,
malebolemt,
or not-God.

The point I'm trying to make is that unless or until we establish the existence of objective evil, then we're dealing with a subjective variable, one with no such value.

Therefore claiming a set value for any of the solutions for an equation including this variable is incorrect.

It is "bad" under all circumstances to make humans of the same community suffer outside of a situation of self-defense and defense of others. That's a universal rule of all moral codes.

I did say all circumstances and from all perspectives.

There have always been and still are people who hold perspectives that run counter to this Idea.

What you're talking about is a common moral code shared by most civilized societies, but it's hardly universal.

Vikings, Monguls, and several people in several places today would laugh at you if you suggested such a thing.

It's impossible for human to flourish, prosper and be happy, etc. without that rule. Is that the sort of "objective evil" you were searching for?

No, this is still subjective.

From the perspective of every other creature on the planet, human beings flourishing and prospering has been anything but good.

It's a universal rule. It's always true.

No, it's an opinion.

It can be observed and measure (as in we can make the difference between alive and dead people and quantify both groups). It's broken as it happens.

"Things that we don't prefer" is a definition of "evil" that's consistent, can be observed and measured and for which a omnipotent and omnibenevolent God would have to be accounted for (for that matter this definition of evil/good is consistent with a school of ethics and morality called emotivism). The question then becomes why is there stuff we don't prefer if God is omnibenevolent and omnipotent? The universe could be nothing but pleasure if He wanted to.

So you consider pleasure the ultimate good?

That sounds pretty subjective.

That it's ego centric doesn't make it less observable and measurable.

No but it doesn't make it objective either.

That something is subjective doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

No, it means it exists subjectively. It only exists within the perception of the person experiencing it, ie.,the subject.

That you find the definition of evil egocentric is purely subjective too

Not at all. The PoE is obviously an objection raised based completely on subjective human values. How could it be anything else?

and has no impact on the capacity to observe, quantify and qualify phenomenons according to its definition.

And all those qualifications are going to be subjective.

Which takes us back to my original point: that it isn't reasonable to try and judge what's presumed to be an omnipotent, omnifiesent being by subjective standards.

Here: Good Luck, Bad Luck: Who Can Tell?

Point of that story being thst since we can't see the ultimate consequence of any action or circumstance, there's no way for human beings to make any determinatins about good or evil in the absolute sense. All we can do is make those determinations in accordance with our personal preferences, and is it reasonable to hold and omnipotent being responsible for those?

Let's try this:

“Is God willing to prevent things from happening that I don't like, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh things that I don't like?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Basically, to me, it sounds like Epicurious is firing God because sometimes things happen that he doesn't like.

I don't think this proves anything about God so much as it proves something about us.

The same goes for good too as well as all other feelings or state of being (like chaos, order, harmony, peace, etc). They are all relative and egocentric.

Absolutely.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
From the tenets of whichever religion has hypothesized the God we're talking about.

It's always been about religion.

It's very easy to come up with a God for whom the problem of evil isn't a problem. The problem of evil arises when a religion makes certain claims about God.

The OP doesn't specify any particular religion, and neither does Epicurious

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Only if you're trying to prove the existence of good.

Could well be. For all we know He's just this giant kid pulling the wings off of flies to amuse himself.

My point is that the PoE doesn't prove that he is, or anything else about God.

Is God omnibenevolent?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I have noticed that most people who find fault with God for not stopping evil, are often the same people who are offended by the biblical accounts where God does intervene to stop evil...

I can't speak for everyone, but for some of us that's because we don't see God's previous actions as being in line with goodness. As in, we don't see the standards God has used to judge people as good. They're two completely different arguments though. The current one is that God is not stopping all evil. The argument you bring up leads to a debate about what actually constitutes evil and whether God's actions create or stop it.

Either way, it seems that the thought put forth by Epicurus, which many like to echo, does not consider the possibility that the Creator God may have a valid reason for allowing evil for the time being or for a more important purpose...

That's just the thing though, even if he has a valid reason for allowing evil, he is still allowing it, meaning that he is not *all* good. If he could create a world without evil that still allows for his plan, then why didn't he? The fact that he didn't means he is not all good (prioritizing something else over ultimate goodness) or is not all powerful (had to allow evil to exist to fulfill his will).