• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Return to the Argument from Evil (by Epicurus)

We Never Know

No Slack
When discussing the existence or non-existence of frazzits, I can only speak to what I have heard of frazzits. It is the same with gods -- I grew up in a Christian world, and that's the God I'm aware of. You know, the one who "so loved the world" that He sacrificed His own Son to save us. But as was pointed out by another poster, earlier, won't even plant a teensy hint in a man's head to save a toddler from dying a terrible death in a hot car.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotton Son, that whosoever believed in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Nothing there says a god is supposed protect humans and stop evil. It says give everlasting life.

We know better than to leave a baby in a hot car. If one is left in a hot car its mans fault, not the fault of a god if any exist.

What find find interesting is when people discuss a god, the people who believe in a god acknowledge him for the good but don't blame him for the bad. Whereas people who don't believe in a god don't acknowledge him for the good but blame him for the bad.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Two core and interesting comments from this thread so far are by Quagmire and Koldo:
The only way the PoE works is if we can come up with an example of objective evil.

So far I've never seen anyone be able to do that. No matter how drastic or extreme, any example of evil that you can provide would be subjective.

The problem about your argument, and pretty much any argument that revolves around putting into question the existence of evil is that by the same token you can not assert that good exists. It is a self-defeating argument.

In other words, you also attack the premise that God is omnibenevolent. For all we know, in whatever grand scheme there may be what you consider good may in fact be the greatest evil.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
I'll take a stab at undoing Epicurous.

A. willing but not able -- this definition of God is indeed one of a non-omnipotent God, however it doesn't mean God's will cannot be exemplary for people.
B. Able and willing then whence cometh evil -- This definition of God assumes good and evil both are objective, so it can be deflected with Quagmire's comment.
C. Neither able nor willing -- also assumes objective good objective evil and assumes an intentionally evil God
D. He also does not treat the intentionally evil and omnipotent God in which case the terror of God attention is a reason to obey God.

Epicurious, however, presumes God is a person; and there he makes his mistake presuming that he is dealing with the heart of the matter. People always doubt whether God is a person. If God is not a person then:
A. does not apply since there is no will as we understand will
B. again no will
C. does not imply an intentionally evil God

And yet even if God is not a person, God may exist as a set of principles or as the innate knowledge of all things or some other abstraction.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
But so is good, so is all morality.

No problem there

And since God is regarded as a source or influence on morality, on moral decisions, and since morality is very usually stated as an attribute of God, it seems to me proper that God be answerable for [his] behavior in moral situations.

So you're saying that since humans regard God as such and such he's answerable for/as such and such?

If there is an omnipotent being, I doubt that we would be able to even begin to grasp his nature or his intentions, so it seems a bit absurd that we should be making rules for Him

Such as the situation in the OP, where God does nothing.

Or seems to.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Yes, if all you're interested in are hypothetical solutions. That is: an equation where the solution itself has no set value.

In this equation, or actually the three equations of the PoE, a set value is assigned to each solution:

God is either :
limited,
malebolemt,
or not-God.

The point I'm trying to make is that unless or until we establish the existence of objective evil, then we're dealing with a subjective variable, one with no such value.

Therefore claiming a set value for any of the solutions for an equation including this variable is incorrect.

A) Actually, your rationale allows for another argument against the existence of an omnimax God. Here is a very practical example:

1) God is omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient.
2) Omnibenevolence requires the existence of an objective moral good.
3) The existence of an objective moral good has not been established.
4) If the existence of an objective moral good has not been established, we are dealing with a subjective variable, one with no such value.
4) Therefore, we are dealing with a subjective variable, one with no such value.
5) If anything includes this variable, it is incorrect.
6) The definition of God includes this variable.
7) Therefore, the definition of God is incorrect.

The consequence is essentially the same as the PoE, just aimed specifically at omnibenevolence.

B) The PoE is still applicable even outside objective morality, as long as there is anything you regard as evil and God being good.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
A) Actually, your rationale allows for another argument against the existence of an omnimax God. Here is a very practical example:

1) God is omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omniscient.
2) Omnibenevolence requires the existence of an objective moral good.
3) The existence of an objective moral good has not been established.
4) If the existence of an objective moral good has not been established, we are dealing with a subjective variable, one with no such value.
4) Therefore, we are dealing with a subjective variable, one with no such value.
5) If anything includes this variable, it is incorrect.
6) The definition of God includes this variable.
7) Therefore, the definition of God is incorrect.

The consequence is essentially the same as the PoE, just aimed specifically at omnibenevolence.

No argument here

B) The PoE is still applicable even outside objective morality, as long as there is anything you regard as evil and God being good.

Without objectivity it's a pointless exercise.

74x12

If humans are so incapable of understanding the mind and capability of god, why should he expect anything of us at all? Why make laws for us to follow?... Why even reach down from his high seat in heaven to humor us? Seems kind of like a kid playing with ants on an anthill to me, but as you say, the disparity is even greater than that.
I think he does understand what he can expect from us. I mean even though I made that comparison ... still we aren't ants. I only made that comparison to compare our limited knowledge and understanding compared with the knowledge and understanding of an omniscient God. Ants individually are almost seemingly robotic. Even though they have some intelligence individually; yet their true intelligence is revealed in their unity. If you look at an ant hive as a whole organism it's a lot more intelligent. I digress, but my point is that we can be expected by God to do things that are within our ability to do.
When a kid decides to roast ants on that ant hill with a magnifying lens, or when he plucks the limbs off an ant for his entertainment, is that right or wrong? I mean, the ants can't even begin to understand him or his motivations...
Indeed they can't understand that motive. However, we as mature adults do know that this is not a good motive. So even though we understand the child's motive in torturing ants and are therefore qualified to judge the child's actions. On the other hand we still do not understand God's motives. So I conclude we aren't qualified to judge them.
The problem I have with the idea that might makes right is that it goes against what is so obviously observed in suffering, which is very much a universal thing for any creature with the ability to feel pain... Suffering should always be avoided, especially by the one who creates the rules that allow for it to even exist in the first place. That is the ultimate evil.
I don't believe that suffering should always be avoided. Not that I am saying it is noble to make others suffer. However, most of us in this society do agree that it is noble to make others suffer for their own benefit. For example; you may not like the way the dentist makes you feel but you know it's for your own good. Or a military recruit might not like being abused by drill instructors; but it's for their own good. They'll potentially be in combat so they must be toughened up and well trained so that they don't killed.

Then we also willingly suffer for ourselves. We suffer through tedious schooling and we suffer through physical exercise etc. To improve ourselves.

And finally what is by everyone's account noble is to suffer for the benefit of others.

All this same reasoning can be applied to spiritual things. Suffering brings out good things in people.

InChrist

Free4ever
Well, one is wanted (abortion) the other is not (forgetting a kid in the car to boil under the sun). So, your symmetry does not obtain.

and what do you men we re in His image? Is He into killing kids, too? According to the Bible looks like He likes to kill women and children, ripping apart pregnant women, and such.

so, why does He complain? He should have made us in someone else’s image, I suppose.

ciao

- viole
So are you saying God should be okay with the evil people “want” to do, but He should stop accidental evil when it’s just forgetfulness?

According to the scriptures, God as the Creator and giver of life has the right to take life and the knowledge and wisdom to determine when it is appropriate to do so in judgment. So if you would read the scriptures in context and seek insight you may see that there’s a difference between malevolent killing and righteous judgement.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
How the hell should I know?

If you don't hold, not even for the sake of this conversation, that God is omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnibenevolent, the problem of evil is not applicable to your view of God.

The logical exercise here is to try to hold two specific and seemingly contradictory ideas and show how it is not actually a contradiction, whether there is a way out.

To argue against the problem of view you need to show there is either no contradiction, that one of the premises is not true or that the conclusion doesn't follow from the premises.

If you merely claim none of the premises can be properly established, you are merely saying that neither God nor evil can be claimed to exist.

74x12

Wouldn't Jesus trying to understand God be just as much of a disparity as Epicurus?
It's the immaculate heart. I think Catholics use that term. Jesus' heart being like the heart of God; made Jesus always know the heart of God. John Baptist also said the Spirit was given to Jesus without measure. So, we can assume Jesus always knew the mind of the Spirit. But ultimately Jesus must have walked by faith like we are supposed to do.
Do you believe the claims of one who lacked reason because He promised eternal life, yet deny the one who set forth a completely logical problem?
I question the logical of Epicurus in this case. Even though I think he was probably a genius and a very good philosopher in some other ways.

The point here is that even the smartest among us being but mere humans cannot fathom God's motives or thoughts unaided.
Personally I believe in an omnipotent God, but can see that God has some questions to answer about why the material realm is filled with seemingly unnecessary suffering.
That's the logic behind faith though. Because we don't know everything it is therefore wise for us to admit it to ourselves. Rather than like Epicurus basing our logical reasoning on the assumption that we do know enough to judge.

So if we humbly admit we don't know and we don't understand. We realize the need for faith. To trust in God despite not knowing everything. This is not impossible because we can learn more about God. Then logically basing our faith on what we already do know and understand about God; we can reasonably guess that the motives and plan of God is going to end up being good after all.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
If you don't hold, not even for the sake of this conversation, that God is omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnibenevolent, the problem of evil is not applicable to your view of God.

But it's still open to criticism as a standalone idea, regardless of the critics position

The logical exercise here is to try to hold two specific and seemingly contradictory ideas and show how it is not actually a contradiction, whether there is a way out.

To argue against the problem of view you need to show there is either no contradiction, that one of the premises is not true or that the conclusion doesn't follow from the premises.

If you merely claim none of the premises can be properly established, you are merely saying that neither God nor evil can be claimed to exist.

This is all your subjective interpretation of the PoE.

As far as I'm concerned people are free to approach this topic for many direction they like.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think so for this reason: God, if he exists, could make it so there are no subjective evils. There are many ways to handle that.

Even then you would have to show why the eradication of subjective evils would be a good thing.

epronovost

I did say all circumstances and from all perspectives.

There have always been and still are people who hold perspectives that run counter to this Idea.

What you're talking about is a common moral code shared by most civilized societies, but it's hardly universal.

Vikings, Monguls, and several people in several places today would laugh at you if you suggested such a thing.

I'm sorry to tell you that in the Dane Law, the law of the Vikings as well as in Genghis Code, killing a member of your own community outside of a context of self defense or defense of others is completely illegal and punishable by death. You are pedling a myth that some societies accepted the idea of killing members of their own community outside of such a context. All human societies and moral code prohibited that idea. It's universal.

From the perspective of every other creature on the planet, human beings flourishing and prospering has been anything but good.

That's correct and since ''good'' is the exact same principle for all sentient creatures with only a change in perspective, you just pointed out one of the major ''evil'' of our universe: scarcity and competing exclusive interests. That makes flourishment of all sentient creature impossible. It's an excellent demonstration of the problem of evil in effect. Why can't everybody have its cake and eat it to?

So you consider pleasure the ultimate good?

That sounds pretty subjective.

Who cares. The nature of evil isn't important. Only that it's felt. Why do would a ''good deity'' allow suffering? That it's subjective doesn't mean a thing isn't real. Your emotions are subjective, but you have them and they are real, but they aren't universally felt.

Not at all. It's obviously an objection raised based completely on subjective human values. How could it be anything else?

Again, that's completely non sequitur. Of course morality is a human concept subject to human interests. It's not a feature of the universe like electromagnetism or causality. It's a social construct derived from our evolutionnary history, but also our political, social and cultural history. The goal of morality and all moral codes was always to live together and maximise our prosperity, happiness and flourishment. The variety of codes and differing moral systems is because, while there are universal rules that are self evident, others are much more complex and require experimentation and are debatable. Material circumstances and historical vaguaries also explain that.

Which takes us back to my original point: that it isn't reasonable to try and judge what's presumed to be an omnipotent, omnifiesent being by subjective standards.

Well of course. If you consider good/evil to be subjective to the human experience then the qualification of God as a good being is subject to a subjective standard established and judged by humans. In that sense, Good is no different than funny or hasty. It's a quality. You can't have a God that is both good and all powerful in our universe because bad things happen to us, thus God is not good or not all powerful or non-existent. Pick your poison. The same is true for all creatures. There is bad stuff happening to everything living and conscious in our universe.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
But it's still open to criticism as a standalone idea, regardless of the critics position

This is all your subjective interpretation of the PoE.

As far as I'm concerned people are free to approach this topic for many direction they like.

The last part is not. If you claim that none of the premises can be claimed to be true then the consequence is saying that neither God or evil can be claimed to exist. Which is alright if that's what you want...

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Even then you would have to show why the eradication of subjective evils would be a good thing.

To an extent, that's trivial.
A subjective good is the opposite of a subjective evil. The absence of an subjective evil is therefore good.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sorry to tell you that in the Dane Law, the law of the Vikings as well as in Genghis Code, killing a member of your own community outside of a context of self defense or defense of others is completely illegal and punishable by death. You are pedling a myth that some societies accepted the idea of killing members of their own community outside of such a context. All human societies and moral code prohibited that idea. It's universal.

Sorry, I guess I missed the "within your own community" part.

Even so it's still just a man-made law, and still not universal, human sacrifice being an exception.

And even if it were 100% universal across all societies, everywhere, at all times, it's still subjective.

Universiiality doesn't equal objectivity.

That's correct and since ''good'' is the exact same principle for all sentient creatures with only a change in perspective, you just pointed out one of the major ''evil'' of our universe: scarcity and competing exclusive interests. That makes flourishment of all sentient creature impossible. It's an excellent demonstration of the problem of evil in effect. Why can't everybody have its cake and eat it to?

No idea. But I don't see any reason to assume that that would be any kind of an ultimate good.

If there is an omnipotent being, and he has a plan, it could very well exclude the idea of everybody having their cake and eating it too and still amount to an ultimate good.

If there is such a plan it would be beyond our ability as finite beings to grasp, and therefore any judgments that we make would be pointless.

Who cares. The nature of evil isn't important. Only that it's felt. Why do would a ''good deity'' allow suffering?

Why should we consider suffering evil? (Other than the fact that it hurts).

That it's subjective doesn't mean a thing isn't real. Your emotions are subjective, but you have them and they are real, but they aren't universally felt.,

I never said the experience of suffering isn't real. I'm just saying that just because something is difficult, or painful, or ugly, or destructive, it doesn't automatically follow that it's objectively "evil"

All it means is that it's unpleasant. For all we know all the unpleasantness in the world is all part of some huge cosmic plan that resolves itself in some sort of ultimate universal good.

I'm not saying that that's what's actually going on, I'm saying "for all we know".

And since we don't know, we can't just point to individual events or occurrences and say "it shouldn't be like that".

Ultimately we don't know what should or shouldn't be, we just know our own likes and dislikes.

Again, that's completely non sequitur. Of course morality is a human concept subject to human interests. It's not a feature of the universe like electromagnetism or causality. It's a social construct derived from our evolutionnary history, but also our political, social and cultural history. The goal of morality and all moral codes was always to live together and maximise our prosperity, happiness and flourishment. The variety of codes and differing moral systems is because, while there are universal rules that are self evident, others are much more complex and require experimentation and are debatable. Material circumstances and historical vaguaries also explain that.

And since, if there is an omnipotent being, he isnt actually a member of our human community, why would we expect our morality (which as you pointed out is a human construct, not a universal principle) to be applicable to him?

Well of course. If you consider good/evil to be subjective to the human experience then the qualification of God as a good being is subject to a subjective standard established and judged by humans. You can't have a God that is both good and all powerful in our universe because bad things happen to us, thus God is not good or not all powerful or non-existent. Pick your poison. The same is true for all creatures. There is bad stuff happening to everything living and conscious in our universe.

There is no objectively "bad'' stuff, that's my point. There is only subjectively unpleasant stuff.

The problem with the whole concept of evil is that it's usually used as It's mostly being used here in this thread: as a designation for something that's a deviation from the way that things "should be" .

This line of thinking assumes that we have any idea about what should or shouldn't be.

What it comes down to is we humans saying, "I don't like this. therefore it shouldn't be. therefore it is evil".

Again: in order for us to make a judgment call like that and apply it to an omnipotent being we would have to know what his intentions are, what his plans are, and what role the things that we don't like play in those plans.

Since we don't know any of that, any judgments that we make about it aren't really judgments in that they arent conclusions that we came to by any sort of reason or logic (although we'll all bend over backwards to make it look like they are). It's really all just whining.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The last part is not. If you claim that none of the premises can be claimed to be true then the consequence is saying that neither God or evil can be claimed to exist. Which is alright if that's what you want...

And what kind of cheese by the way?

InChrist

Free4ever
I can't speak for everyone, but for some of us that's because we don't see God's previous actions as being in line with goodness. As in, we don't see the standards God has used to judge people as good. They're two completely different arguments though. The current one is that God is not stopping all evil. The argument you bring up leads to a debate about what actually constitutes evil and whether God's actions create or stop it.

That's just the thing though, even if he has a valid reason for allowing evil, he is still allowing it, meaning that he is not *all* good. If he could create a world without evil that still allows for his plan, then why didn't he? The fact that he didn't means he is not all good (prioritizing something else over ultimate goodness) or is not all powerful (had to allow evil to exist to fulfill his will).
I appreciate your response because it is thoughtful and you address important points. Since I understand God’s character qualities, as revealed in the scriptures (and personally since being saved and born again) as holy, love, goodness, kindness, patient, merciful, just and righteous along with recognizing the infinity of His omniscience, I trust that God’s actions line up with goodness and His other qualities. I think as finite beings we cannot accurately understand, much less judge the actions of an Infinite Being, nor determine whether actions or events which certainly appear to be very evil from our limited temporal perspective actually are not allowed by God for a more important eternal purpose.

I am of the perspective that if God is an all-knowing infinite Being and I am finite, then God knows more that I do.

In answer to your question, “If he could create a world without evil that still allows for his plan, then why didn't he? ”, I would say that creating a world that did not allow for evil would mean creating a world without freedom and that was/is not God’s plan. I believe the Freedom to choose God’s love, goodness, beauty, joy, over hate, evil, destruction and darkness is the ultimate purpose and plan for each person here in this temporal world.

Therefore, I think God has a valid reason for temporarily permitting evil rather than preventing it; if so, then his permission of evil is justified and doesn’t militate against His goodness. Or even His power if His goal is to create and have fellowship with beings who freely choose love and goodness, rather than puppets who can’t.