• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question To Pagans

Lehnah

Master of the Mystic Arts
While surfing the net and looking at various forums and sites I've seen people who simply refer to themselves as "pagan" rather than of a specific religion that falls under the heading of pagan such as Wiccan .

I was wondering if anyone here who considers themselves simply Pagan and not a specific "kind" of Pagan could explain why this is? I'd like to make it clear I'm not judging, just curious.

Is it because you don't do some of the things other subgroups do such as ritual or pathworking? Or it some other reason?

Please share your thoughts.

Cheers.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Well, my beliefs are only partly Pagan, but here's the way I see it.

Since everyone is different, everyone has different beliefs, so not everyone's beliefs will fit into a single religion. So rather than label themselves as Wiccan or another form of Paganism when they don't believe in everything in it, they go for the more universal label. Or they could believe in much more than Wicca. It could be many things.

Personally, I'm somewhat of a Pagan-Animist-Agnostic-Buddhist type thing. Since I a) am still exploring these religions, and b) don't fit completely into these religions as far as I can see, I don't label myself as any of them.

Wolfscout1

Spiritual Warrior.
Putting myself as general Pagan is much more closer than saying Christian-other or choosing something I am truly not. I'm so eclectic as no one path is mine. I see it as a very simplified generalization.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
While surfing the net and looking at various forums and sites I've seen people who simply refer to themselves as "pagan" rather than of a specific religion that falls under the heading of pagan such as Wiccan .

I was wondering if anyone here who considers themselves simply Pagan and not a specific "kind" of Pagan could explain why this is? I'd like to make it clear I'm not judging, just curious.

Is it because you don't do some of the things other subgroups do such as ritual or pathworking? Or it some other reason?

Cheers.
Well, I used to use "pagan" interchangeably with "eclectic," because I didn't follow any particular path.

Cheers.

I use Pagan because it best fits my current path. However, I don't associate with any particular path that falls under the Pagan umbrella.

Ardeaa

Sometimes I call myself an anarchist pagan, because I abhor any rules or limitations on my path. I don't ascribe to the rede or the threefold law because they are restrictive and, basically, guilt-inducing. As soon as anyone says "you have to do it this way.." I am immediately outta there. No one tells me how to practice my spirituality, no one puts limits on where I can go spiritually.

Erebus

I frequently call myself a "spiritual freelancer" as I don't follow any individual deity or daemon exclusively (unless you would call chaos a deity in it's own right) instead I will invoke any god/devil I think can help me.
As "Pagan" is simply an umbrella term covering a wide variety of practices involving non-Abrahamic deities it seems to be the best description of my beliefs. I sometimes use the term "Dark Pagan" instead of simply Pagan, to reinforce the fact that I am not a Wiccan, nor do I exclusively use benevolent magic and entities.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I call myself an eclectic pagan because there's no other term for me as I'm not Wiccan, and I'm not a Recon... Though I suppose I could create a label for myself...

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I've used just the general team of Pagan for a time now and I feel that at this point in time it fits me well to show that I am a follow/worshiper of Nature(in the general sense).
Though that might change soon because as of late I have been having some interesting Visions/Dream that maybe leading me to a certain path.

Lehnah

Sorry to bump such an old topic, but this is something I've been thinking about a lot recently.

I consider myself Wiccan. It was the first path I found that really felt "right" to me. However, I've been wondering lately if I should indeed be calling myself "wiccan" or "pagan". I have listed the reasons for my uncertainty below.

Magic. From what I have read/ heard (and all my knowledge comes from on-line and off line texts and podcasts. I know no one else in my town who is pagan/ wiccan to ask for advice) my idea of magic is somewhat different to how it is viewed in Wicca. I don't feel that I can change (for lack of a better term) how the universe works so that I can get a job or whatever. The universe is too big for that. Sure, I can ask the God and Goddess to for a bit of help, but they aren't going to go moving stars so I can get a book published. No, for me the magic we as "ordinary" people perform is more "real." For example, creating an artwork from a blank sheet of paper, or music from strings and bow. Birth. Inspiring people. That is what I feel magic is.

Communicating with the Gods. I prefer to do this by meditation and path working as opposed to rituals. I preform rituals on sabats and special days to honour the Gods, but I do feel that all of the "stuff" that comes with ritual gets in the road a little bit. An analogy would be ritual is a big party with music and dancing and hoo haring. Meditation is a quite sit down over a cup of tea having a nice chat and a laugh. I must admit I prefer that later (and that might show how boring a person I am :D )

Resurrection. I do not believe that after death we are resurrected once again on this earth. This is probably where I deviate most from wiccan thought. My thoughts on resurrection are a little involved so I won't go into detail but basically I believe our spirit leaves the body and continues existing on its own in various ways.

I recently finished reading Cunningham's Living Wicca and there where a few things in there I didn't agree with. Nothing huge, but enough to give me pause. One thing was Cunningham talks about spending time with the Gods each day, even if only for five minutes. He said to do things like smell flowers, touch grass etc. The bit that got me was he said that reading about Wicca (eg; studying) could not be considered giving your time to the Gods. I really, really have to disagree with that, especially if Wicca truly is a path of knowledge and self discovery. How is one supposed to gain knowledge if one does not study. Using Cunningham's reasoning suggests my seven years of art school have done nothing for my artistic abilities. I can tell you that is far from the case.

There where one or two other things, but I can't recall them right now.

I believe in the Goddess and the God but rather than seeing tham as Greek, Celtic or any of the other ancient gods I view them as both more modern characters - mainly Doctor Strange and Madame Xanadu from Marvel and DC comics respectively - or as how I see them in my minds eye. I love nature and follow the rede and agree with the Wiccan principals. As I said at the start, Wicca was the religion that I really felt comfortable with. Apart from the few nagging things I've mentioned.

So I'm wondering if I should call myself wiccan or pagan. I know that, in the scheme of things, labels such as those don't matter. However, it is part of who I am and I'd like to be able to proudly say "I am INSETS TITLE HERE" without umming and arring over it. I also know that Wicca is a religion in which you can practice in the way that works for you, you don't need to adhere to any certain system (unless a coven dictates, but I'm solitary so I can please myself :D)

Still, I wonder if it in not better to simply be pagan, at least until I know for sure if I fit into wicca or not?

Erebus

Magic. From what I have read/ heard (and all my knowledge comes from on-line and off line texts and podcasts. I know no one else in my town who is pagan/ wiccan to ask for advice) my idea of magic is somewhat different to how it is viewed in Wicca. I don't feel that I can change (for lack of a better term) how the universe works so that I can get a job or whatever. The universe is too big for that. Sure, I can ask the God and Goddess to for a bit of help, but they aren't going to go moving stars so I can get a book published. No, for me the magic we as "ordinary" people perform is more "real." For example, creating an artwork from a blank sheet of paper, or music from strings and bow. Birth. Inspiring people. That is what I feel magic is.

Nothing wrong with that, everybody views magic slightly differently, what's important is that your definition works for you.

Communicating with the Gods. I prefer to do this by meditation and path working as opposed to rituals. I preform rituals on sabats and special days to honour the Gods, but I do feel that all of the "stuff" that comes with ritual gets in the road a little bit. An analogy would be ritual is a big party with music and dancing and hoo haring. Meditation is a quite sit down over a cup of tea having a nice chat and a laugh. I must admit I prefer that later (and that might show how boring a person I am :D )

Ritual is meant to focus the mind and stimulate the emotions, by itself there is nothing magical about a ritual. If you prefer meditation and find this works best for you, don't feel that you have to use ritual at all.

Resurrection. I do not believe that after death we are resurrected once again on this earth. This is probably where I deviate most from wiccan thought. My thoughts on resurrection are a little involved so I won't go into detail but basically I believe our spirit leaves the body and continues existing on its own in various ways.

Not all Wiccans believe in reincarnation. I know one Wiccan who believes in a version of heaven and hell but without the brutal torture in Hell. It's sort of like a "dark place" full of angry and bitter spirits.

I recently finished reading Cunningham's Living Wicca and there where a few things in there I didn't agree with. Nothing huge, but enough to give me pause. One thing was Cunningham talks about spending time with the Gods each day, even if only for five minutes. He said to do things like smell flowers, touch grass etc. The bit that got me was he said that reading about Wicca (eg; studying) could not be considered giving your time to the Gods. I really, really have to disagree with that, especially if Wicca truly is a path of knowledge and self discovery. How is one supposed to gain knowledge if one does not study. Using Cunningham's reasoning suggests my seven years of art school have done nothing for my artistic abilities. I can tell you that is far from the case.

How can a human tell you how to interact with your Gods? Do whatever works for you.
I believe in the Goddess and the God but rather than seeing tham as Greek, Celtic or any of the other ancient gods I view them as both more modern characters - mainly Doctor Strange and Madame Xanadu from Marvel and DC comics respectively - or as how I see them in my minds eye. I love nature and follow the rede and agree with the Wiccan principals. As I said at the start, Wicca was the religion that I really felt comfortable with. Apart from the few nagging things I've mentioned.

I could go off into a long winded discussion about the power of archetypes here, but I won't. Basically, all you need to know is if it works for you, you're doing it right.

So I'm wondering if I should call myself wiccan or pagan. I know that, in the scheme of things, labels such as those don't matter. However, it is part of who I am and I'd like to be able to proudly say "I am INSETS TITLE HERE" without umming and arring over it. I also know that Wicca is a religion in which you can practice in the way that works for you, you don't need to adhere to any certain system (unless a coven dictates, but I'm solitary so I can please myself :D)

I give myself new titles or refuse to be titled on a whimsical basis. Titles in my opinion can be adopted and dropped whenever you feel it is necessary. "Pagan" is a good catch all term, but can lead to some confusion (a lot of people assume Pagan and Wiccan are the same thing). If a title suits momentarily, then adopt it, just because something might be very temporary doesn't make it worthless.

Still, I wonder if it in not better to simply be pagan, at least until I know for sure if I fit into wicca or not?

Stand in front of a mirror and say to your reflection "you are a..." and then without thinking about it, say whichever word comes first. This is simply a self confirmation excercise, it should help you decide on whichever title most appeals to your subconscious.

Actually I could have saved myself a lot of writing if I'd thought of that first. ;)

Lehnah

Well said Shyanekh

I reckon! Thanks so much for that incredible reply, Shyanekh!

Not all Wiccans believe in reincarnation

Again, that knowledge comes from the limited sources I have at my disposal. It's a shame, because I know there is so much to learn, I just don't have the sources to do so.

How can a human tell you how to interact with your Gods?

That is a damn good point, and not one that has occured to me before. :facepalm: It's moments liek thsi I realize how stooopid I am. :areyoucra

I could go off into a long winded discussion about the power of archetypes here, but I won't.

Ah, archetypes. How I love them. Those characters fit the archetypes of the Goddess and God (well, I think so) and because they are characters I love (I'm in the midst of having a Doctor Strange costume made) it's easy for me to relate to them and see them as the Gods.

"Pagan" is a good catch all term, but can lead to some confusion (a lot of people assume Pagan and Wiccan are the same thing).

I must admit I am one of those confused people. I've researched it, but I can't seem to figure out where being a pagan stops and beign a wiccan (or anythign else) starts. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I give myself new titles or refuse to be titled on a whimsical basis. Titles in my opinion can be adopted and dropped whenever you feel it is necessary. "Pagan" is a good catch all term, but can lead to some confusion (a lot of people assume Pagan and Wiccan are the same thing). If a title suits momentarily, then adopt it, just because something might be very temporary doesn't make it worthless.

Good advice. I'm always changing my artist title from illustraitor to cartoonist to sequental artist to fine artist and a combination of them all. Just depends of how I feel and what type of work I'm currently doing. Why couldn't beliefes be the same, especially when you are unsure where you "fit"?

Stand in front of a mirror and say to your reflection "you are a..." and then without thinking about it, say whichever word comes first. This is simply a self confirmation excercise, it should help you decide on whichever title most appeals to your subconscious.

This sounds liek a good idea. I shall try it when I get home! :D

Eponabri

I consider myself an Eclectic Pagan, for many of the same reasons already listed. I want decide how I practice my belief system and not by how someone else dictates on how I should do it.

Would you ask this same question of a Christian, Muslim, Jew or Atheist?

Erebus

I reckon! Thanks so much for that incredible reply, Shyanekh!

You're very welcome :)

That is a damn good point, and not one that has occured to me before. :facepalm: It's moments liek thsi I realize how stooopid I am. :areyoucra

Nah, stupidity has nothing to do with it. When it comes to spirituality and magic it's very easy to take another person's word for things, especially if they seem to have some authority or wisdom. However, when it comes to determining the mind and desires of a deity, none of us can claim any hard knowledge. Try to remember that at the end of the day, even the most humble beginner can often be a much more naturally capable magician than the most seasoned witch.

Ah, archetypes. How I love them. Those characters fit the archetypes of the Goddess and God (well, I think so) and because they are characters I love (I'm in the midst of having a Doctor Strange costume made) it's easy for me to relate to them and see them as the Gods.

Then they make excellent gods for you :yes:

I must admit I am one of those confused people. I've researched it, but I can't seem to figure out where being a pagan stops and beign a wiccan (or anythign else) starts. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Pagan is a catch all term to describe either religions worshipping deities other than the Abrahamic God (and as such, Hindus could rightly be called Pagans, as can a vast amount of other religions) or it describes the religions of ancient Europe, particularly the religions of the British Isles. Wicca is a form of Paganism in that it both involves the worship of non-abrahamic deities and because it is heavily inspired by classic European religions.
The term "Paganism" can be applied to Wicca, Kemetic Reconstructionism, Hellenic Reconstructionism, Heathenism/Asatru, Discordianism, Shamanism, Daemonolatry, Hinduism, Shinto, Druidism and even Diabolism. While the word "Pagan" can correctly be applied to all of these radically different belief systems, many people prefer to call themselves by whatever title they feel is a more accurate description of their beliefs or simply whichever title works for them (which is why I suggested the mirror excercise for you).