• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A piece of tape tricks Tesla autopilot to misread speed limit sign

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Who knows what goes on in the minds of those computers.
My Garmin Nuvi has a female voice...& you know the problem with women.

My hubby has a great excuse, his hearing is defective in precisely the frequency range of my voice.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He is going to see an audiologist next week.
I once worked with a guy who lost hearing in the range of some women's voices.
He said that when they spoke, it sounded like Chinese. (He didn't speak Chinese.)
The damage occurred working in an airplane factory where he bucked rivets.
(A rivet bucker is the guy who holds the anvil on the inside of the airframe
while someone on the outside pounds the rivets in. Noisy work.)

Btw, "bucker" is not a spelling error.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I thought all that information regarding roads and their speed limits would be in some GPS database.
The speed limit on those thimgs are often wrong. As are directions, one ways, and existing/non existing roads. Always phase 1 of the war between humans and machines will be remembered as having begun with the development of GPS navigation. Afterall, Google tried to kill me the times last year.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The speed limit on those thimgs are often wrong. As are directions, one ways, and existing/non existing roads. Always phase 1 of the war between humans and machines will be remembered as having begun with the development of GPS navigation. Afterall, Google tried to kill me the times last year.
Well, whaddaya expect....you called Google a poopyhead.
(A robot grudge is the most durable of all grudges.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And who needs a com-pu-ter anyway.
Those are truly the words of my high school graduating class, but replace computers with cell phones. And then right after we said that we realized we need them to save money because they were way cheaper than a landline.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, whaddaya expect....you called Google a poopyhead.
(A robot grudge is the most durable of all grudges.)
Clearly this is fake and false news as poopyhead is far too friendly and nice for how I talk to computers when they irritate me. Just ask Google. She's said so herself a few times.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Clearly this is fake and false news as poopyhead is far too friendly and nice for how I talk to computers when they irritate me. Just ask Google. She's said so herself a few times.
I cleaned up your language for RF.
Mods are so easily triggered, you know.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I once worked with a guy who lost hearing in the range of some women's voices.
He said that when they spoke, it sounded like Chinese. (He didn't speak Chinese.)
The damage occurred working in an airplane factory where he bucked rivets.
(A rivet bucker is the guy who holds the anvil on the inside of the airframe
while someone on the outside pounds the rivets in. Noisy work.)

Btw, "bucker" is not a spelling error.

Hubby earned his at rock concerts.

Yup i know what a bucker is, many moons ago we did some work for govan shipyard and got the celebrity tour

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Speed limit sign positions and restrictions are recorded and transmitted with with satnav data. Mine always displays the current limit and beeps like crazy if i exceed the limit by more than 5%

I though this was what computer guided cars worked off

Reminds me of 'Deer Crossing' sign on one of our local roads a couple years back. Someone had drawn an anatomically correct member on the shadow buck. I just thought the state had come up with a "Deer Rutting" sign.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This is a good case study because it demonstrates the glaring weakness of this particular model: malicious people.
Or most other similar systems.

I remember a quote from some sci-fi thing.

"You can make a system proof against stupidity. You can make a system proof against mistakes.
But you can't make a system proof against maliciuosness."

That's what the modern computerized world is up against.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
He is going to see an audiologist next week.
Maybe that will help.

I used to have some friends, Cathy and David.
David was severely hearing impaired, without his hearing aids he was effectively deaf. When Cathy got too intense(as was a habit of hers, especially in the car), he'd look her right in the eyes, stick his finger into his ear,

and shut off his hearing aid.
Tom

Milton Platt

How a Piece of Tape Tricked a Tesla Into Reading a 35MPH Sign as 85MPH

Apparently, a piece of electrical tape was put on a speed limit sign:

gyflv3fimmr6rawgpchc.png

And this caused the sensor to misread it as "85" instead of "35."

I'm surprised that it would actually have to read signs. I thought all that information regarding roads and their speed limits would be in some GPS database. The company stated that in practice, they would not rely solely on the sensors to read signs:

I suppose another way to trick these cars would be to put a cardboard cut-out of a kid crossing the street in the path of an automated vehicle. The sensors would see it as a pedestrian and stop the car, and it would remain stopped until someone determined it wasn't a pedestrian or until someone moved it.

One could conceivably place tape on a speed limit sign in a way which would fool a human looking at it as well, so not a particularly troubling thing.