• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Modest Proposal For Christians: Iscariot Day

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
If you knew anything about the holocaust you'd know the Jews weren't rounded up and executed because Hitler thought they were responsible for killing Jesus.

Nope, but it didn't help either. The stereotypes used are the same and connected in both cases (greedy, selfish, manipulative, traitorous, treacherous, etc).

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I think you're missing the point. The story is an allegory. WE (humanity, past and present) killed Christ. And we continue to do so as long as we continue to fall into the same spiritual pit of fear and egotism that the characters in the allegory did, when they participated in Jesus' death.
Christians say: "Jesus died for our sins"
Stvdv says: "Jesus died through our sins"

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Exactly, yet others did/do just that.

The result being the Crucifixion and death of Jesus, and I disagree because I've read and heard just that;
"A Swiss professor- Rodolphe Kasser acquired the manuscript [The Gospel of Judas ] in 2001. Kasser and the National Geographic Society had the manuscript translated from Coptic to English. On April 6, 2006, they unveiled in Washington, D.C the only surviving copy of The Gospel of Judas.

“Though Judas is to blame, he’s just the representation of humanity, all of us are to blame since Jesus died because of our sins,” says Pastor Thaddeus Ssengendo of Potter's House in Kampala. He quotes Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.”
source

"It is impossible to deny Judas' involvement in the death of Jesus, but the blame for this act should not rest solely upon his shoulders."
source

There are a number of good explanations of why Judas has been blamed historically for Christ's death.
source

Thanks but not one of them state that either Jesus or God blamed anyone. They are all human interpretations. My point was that Jesus or God never assigned or assigns blame but judges by actions. If the point is the humans assign blame, I agree.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

In another thread the responsibility of Jesus's death was brought up, and the question of whether anyone be blamed for it. As I and others pointed out, if it wasn't for those involved in bringing the crucifixion to fruition, from Mary who gave birth to Jesus to the Roman soldiers who nailed him to the cross, there would be no "salvation" for humanity. And in as much as many of the participants, such as Judas Iscariot, Pontius Pilate, and the Roman soldiers, have been vilified throughout history---people necessary to bring the "salvation" of Christ to the world---I feel this should be remedied.

Therefore, I propose a worldwide day of Christian appreciation for all those who played a direct part in the crucifixion. An appreciation and celebration on the Tuesday preceding Maundy Thursday (the commemoration of Last Supper, where Jesus identifies his betrayer) when Judas Iscariot negotiated with the Sanhedrin to betray Jesus.*

What thinkest thou?

* source

I do believe Judas betrayal of Jesus Christ pales in comparison with that of the Jews who betrayed J.C.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I do believe Judas betrayal of Jesus Christ pales in comparison with that of the Jews who betrayed J.C.
Not sure which Jews you're talking about, the Sanhedrin perhaps, but aren't you thankful that Judas and the Sanhedrin did what had to be done?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Not sure which Jews you're talking about, the Sanhedrin perhaps, but aren't you thankful that Judas and the Sanhedrin did what had to be done?

I believe Jesus Christ was likely a nice Jewish rabbi who didn't deserve to be turned over by the Jews to the Romans who crucified him at the urging of the Jews who were offended by Jesus Christ 's insinuation he was the incarnation of the Jewish tribal god,