• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A few questions on Buddhism....

Ana.J

Hello Guys,

I am new in Buddhism so I have a few questions to those who know more than I do :)

1) If our present suffering is the result of bad karma from a prior life, what is the real present remedy for suffering in this life?

2) If achieving “nirvana” means that we will be liberated from the illusion of consciousness, how then will we know (be conscious of) our achieving this “nirvana”? How can we be “conscious” of this, if “consciousness” will no longer exist?

3) If there is no transcendent “self” or “soul”, how do we transcend this life in order for reincarnation to be possible?

Thank you.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
1) If our present suffering is the result of bad karma from a prior life, what is the real present remedy for suffering in this life?
Karma does not "jump" lives, although it definitely bleeds over among people.

Karma is in fact quite impersonal (as befits the impersonalistic doctrine of Buddhism).

The way I see it, there are no shortcuts. The Noble Eightfold Path is the one and only remedy for Dukkha, and it works by way of Interdependent Origination. Action (Karma) causes consequences (effects) that are themselves causes of other consequences. There are no true personal boundaries in the net of causes and consequences. Karma and the effects of the NEP can and do bleed over from people, eventually coming back to us.

2) If achieving “nirvana” means that we will be liberated from the illusion of consciousness, how then will we know (be conscious of) our achieving this “nirvana”? How can we be “conscious” of this, if “consciousness” will no longer exist?

We have no particular need to be aware of Nirvana, since it would mean so very little anyway.

Consciousness is not extinguished by Nirvana, either. Quite the opposite really. It is freed from its illusions and fetters.

3) If there is no transcendent “self” or “soul”, how do we transcend this life in order for reincarnation to be possible?

We don't. There is no "self" to reincarnate. Rebirth is the manifestation of our karma, but it is not at all personal.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nirvana is not liberation from the illusion of consciousness. It's liberation from the illusions of the mind's perceptions of relative reality as real truth and reality. In fact it can be described as Consciousness itself, pure and unencumbered by the illusions of the mind's perceptions of reality.

For instance, in meditation practice you do not go blank when you still the thought streams. You become superconscious. Your awareness increases substantially. And as a personal note on the use of the words achieving or attaining Enlightenment, or the state of Nirvana, I find those misleading. It's not something outside of yourself you have to get. It's something that's already there you simply have to open to, or realize.

buddhist

Hello Guys,

I am new in Buddhism so I have a few questions to those who know more than I do :)

Thank you.
1. The Buddha identified delusion (moha) as the root cause of all suffering. From delusion sprouts attachment/greed (lobha) and aversion (dosa), and the three together (moha/lobha/dosa) are identified as the three defilements from which springs all the rest of our sufferings (Loka Sutta, SN 3.23). Following the Noble Eightfold Path is the cure; the Eightfold Path can be divided into three divisions: 1. virtuous behavior, 2. jhanic samadhi/meditation and 3. wisdom. Virtuous behavior settles the mind; a settled mind can easily enter into jhana; in the quiet of jhana, one is able to perceive and attain wisdom for one's self, wisdom which dispels delusion and future bad kamma, and loosens the cycle of suffering. Wisdom is then applied to conduct one's self in higher virtuous behaviors, which allows one to enter into a progressively higher jhana, and thus perceive and attain even deeper insights and wisdom to loosen suffering even more. The cycle thus continues upwards/inwards towards nibbana.

2. Upon attainment of the third ayatana (aka seventh level of jhana), consciousness itself is transcended, among other qualities which are also transcended (Anupada Sutta, MN111); We reach the fourth ayatana (eighth jhana, the "dimension of neither perception nor non-perception" ) upon successful transcendence of the third ayatana.

3. There is a "self" - practically speaking. It consists of a combination of the five aggregates/khandas (Khanda Sutta, SN 22.48). The five khandas - body, feelings, perceptions, mental formations, and consciousness - come together to form our identity of "self", just like fuel, air, etc. come together to form a fire. (However, since none of the khandas are permanent or eternal, we cannot say we have a "self" since the "self" is understood by most other religions to refer to a permanent or eternal "core" being). Ultimately speaking, we neither have a "self", and we do not have a "not-self" either (Alagaddupama Sutta MN 22).

Rebirth is always happening, at every moment of every day in our lives. Our 30-year old "self" is neither the same, nor is it different from our 7-year old "self". How are they both related? The ever-changing khandas connects the two beings together, like the ever-changing flux and flow of a river. The practice of the Eightfold Path progressively reduces the attachments which bind the five khandas together, and their complete release and dissipation is nibbana, just like the abandonment of the factors which sustains a fire (fuel, air, etc.) causes the fire to go out.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
First off. There is a range of answers on these questions to which not all Buddhists will agree. Also I would like to point out that on RF, there is a prevalence of 'materialist' Buddhists which do not believe in anything beyond the material (no life after death, etc.). Thiers is a minority opinion worldwide.

I have studied Buddhism a bit myself and will give my understandings below,

Detachment from desires. It is our thoughts that cause suffering so right thought (detachment) can end suffering.

Buddha teaches a concept called 'annata' meaning no permanent individual soul as ultimate enlightenment results in merger in the universal soul. Because there is no permanent individual soul does not mean that there are not temporary physical bodies and subtle bodies (ever-growing souls experiencing multiple physical bodies) before Nirvana.[/quote]

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello Guys,

Thank you.
I will let Buddha answer your questions. Its a long discourse. A bit of careful reading is required. I am posting two translations so that it helps.

https://suttacentral.net/en/mn140

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.140.than.html

Best. :)