• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A different theological perspective

DNB

Christian
Any apatheists here?
How is apatheism a theology? It's an attitude towards theology - the title should be 'a different perspective on theology'.
Apatheism is ignorance - the entire world that we live in has every society based on religion - there has never been a culture without it.
How can one remain indifferent or apathetic to the obligation to investigate such matters.
I'm a theist because I believe that God was staring me right in the face every time that I opened my eyes, or had a conversation with another human, or read the newspaper.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
How is apatheism a theology? It's an attitude towards theology - the title should be 'a different perspective on theology'.
Apatheism is ignorance - the entire world that we live in has every society based on religion - there has never been a culture without it.
How can one remain indifferent or apathetic to the obligation to investigate such matters.
I'm a theist because I believe that God was staring me right in the face every time that I opened my eyes, or had a conversation with another human, or read the newspaper.
Apatheism is simply an attitude of one who is indifferent to Theism and religious belief. Not much of anything concerning a religious belief.

Apatheism (/ˌæpəˈθiːɪzəm/; a portmanteau of apathy and theism) is the attitude of apathy toward the existence or non-existence of God(s). It is more of an attitude rather than a belief, claim, or belief system. The term was coined by Robert Nash, theology professor at Mercer University, in 2001

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a culture without mythology, superstition, rampant ignorance, and xenophobia. Christianity has certainly been an impressive contributor, especially when it ignorantly and arrogantly deigns to deprecate other views as ignorant.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Any apatheists here?
I dislike the term more than the possible intent if only because a worldview grounded in apathy seems more that a little distasteful.

But apathy can mean more than "I don't care" -- it can mean "I don't care to waste time pondering questions which I believe to be inherently unsolvable," i.e., it can reflect a militant agnosticism that chooses not to "waste time" on the unknowable.

At the same time, even assuming that the existence and nature of God is unknowable, there may well be social value in fashioning a sense of godliness.

DNB

Christian
To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a culture without mythology, superstition, rampant ignorance, and xenophobia. Christianity has certainly been an impressive contributor, especially when it ignorantly and arrogantly deigns to deprecate other views as ignorant.
Outside of your latter remark, it all points to the same thing: man is a spiritual creature, created in the image of God.

...and if you haven't got the conviction or wisdom to know whether your religion is the absolute truth or not, then maybe you should consider atheism - God is not pleased with the timid or indecisive.

siti

God is not pleased with the timid or indecisive.
Yikes!

But seriously (ahem!)...this...

Outside of your latter remark, it all points to the same thing: man is a spiritual creature, created in the image of God.

in response to...

...seems to imply that you think spirituality is based on mythology, superstition, rampant ignorance, and xenophobia...and that God is an ignorant, superstitious xenophobe...in whose image you were created...well I suppose you might have a point after all!

On the subject of the OP - I find it slightly amusing that people find something they have no interest in interesting enough to think of interesting new words to describe their lack of interest. I wonder what a congregation of apatheists would be like...may be they would all yawn and nod off while one of their number drones on endlessly about something none of them have the slightest enthusiasm for...come to think of it, its probably just a synonym for Anglicanism.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Except being apathetic to your god does not mean ignorance of your god.
Or any of the other gods for that matter.

So I sincerely hope your above rant at the very least made you feel better.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

...and if you haven't got the conviction or wisdom to know whether your religion is the absolute truth or not, then maybe you should consider atheism - God is not pleased with the timid or indecisive.
Believing your religion is absolute truth or not isn't commendable when we as humans can barely know a fraction of truth out there in the world. Having such confidence is jumping to conclusions.

The best religions are the ones that are more open ended, the ones whose followers are seekers rather than dogmatists, as they aren't so arrogant in their own perceptions, as such arrogance leads to a whole lot of undesirable characrer traits that often leads to antagonism and conflict.

PureX

Veteran Member
Apathy is at least an honest response to the theist proposition. But it does not describe any form of atheism. It describes a profound and willful agnosticism: "I don't know because I don't care".

But it seems very unlikely anyone with this perspective would ever visit this site. Why would they?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... and if you haven't got the conviction or wisdom to know ...
That's interesting (albeit a bit presumptuous).

Allow me a couple of quick points:
  1. Unlike you, I readily admit to possessing limited wisdom.
  2. Unlike you, I do however have enough wisdom to realize that knowledge is not a function of conviction; on the contrary, conviction is a function of knowledge.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
...seems to imply that you think spirituality is based on mythology, superstition, rampant ignorance, and xenophobia...and that God is an ignorant, superstitious xenophobe...in whose image you were created...well I suppose you might have a point after all!
It implies this to you. That is as sad as it is silly.

siti

It implies this to you. That is as sad as it is silly.
No! You miss my point. The point is, the point of my post was to point out the silliness of @DNB 's point which was, as you pointed out, a silly point, not your point which was a valid point and not a silly point at all... which is why I made the (admittedly but unashamedly sarcastic) point that I thought @DNB might have had a point...if you see my point. I hope that clarifies my point.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not acquaintanced with apatheism, are you?

As it happens, I am one.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Apathy is at least an honest response to the theist proposition. But it does not describe any form of atheism. It describes a profound and willful agnosticism: "I don't know because I don't care".

But it seems very unlikely anyone with this perspective would ever visit this site. Why would they?
I guess we are all lucky like that.

Honestly, I fail to see any reason why not.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I think many among you are indeed lending various god-conceptions levels of significance and gravitas that just are not there to be challenged.