• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "Challange" Thread

chuck010342

Irenicas said:
Well, I'm afraid that I don't know enough about that subject, though I would be happy to debate with someone on the subject "Does the Christian God exist?"

I accept your challenge

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
As you may be aware, I have already begun a debate with Huajiro on a similar subject. You will find this in the one on one debates main section.

There has been somehting very odd going on! I tried on more than one occasion to post a response on the thread set up by pah, but for some reason, the forums wouldn't let me do so. I have set up a new thread to speed the debate along...

huajiro

Irenicas said:
As you may be aware, I have already begun a debate with Huajiro on a similar subject. You will find this in the one on one debates main section.

There has been somehting very odd going on! I tried on more than one occasion to post a response on the thread set up by pah, but for some reason, the forums wouldn't let me do so. I have set up a new thread to speed the debate along...
I guess I had better get my butt in gear :149:

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I would like to be in a 2 vs. 2 debate, Evolution vs. Creationism/Intelligent Design.

I would like to be on the Evolution side, with a partner, and in a six point debate (six points/counterpoints; or posts, in the debate, per side, besides the introduction).

mustafoa

lol, id be on the creationist side becasue of the completely no evidence towards evolution, accually i would like to give a challenge... if anyone can provide scientific evidence that proves evolution completely then ill beleive it but untill then im going with the bible. I also know that we live on a young earth, the earth is only about 8000 years old as the bible says it is and if anyone wants to argue any of this then lets go ;) . Or on the one about weather or not there is a god/jesus/heaven/hell then like im all for a good ol' debate. o and im on the christian side

Katrina030

I dont know alot about religion but i could debate on eg. errrrrrrrr "Does God Exist".
stuff like that, who made the world? u know what i mean.

Ryan2065

Druidus said:
I would like to be in a 2 vs. 2 debate, Evolution vs. Creationism/Intelligent Design.

I would like to be on the Evolution side, with a partner, and in a six point debate (six points/counterpoints; or posts, in the debate, per side, besides the introduction).
I will be your partner with this if you want. I have never done a structured debate, but I know evolution. =)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It could be on anything. I will argue for or against anything.

If I have no information on the topic I will need a week to prepare. Would prefer a week either way.

We set a date and time we can both meet online for the debate. I am available Sat (nights), Sunday most times, Monday until 9:00 pm

Want to debate in a specific format.
Topic(whatever you like)
Debater one asks question on topic(clock starts)
Debater two replies (Must be within 6 minutes and no more than 3 paragraphs)
Debater two asks question on topic(clock starts)
Debater one replies (Must be within 6 minutes and No more than 3 paragraphs)

Questions continue for an hour.

At the end of the hour both debaters write a rebuttle written to the audience, as much as needed up to an hour time limit. My definition for rebuttle is to argue against the others point no new arguements for your side.

Leave online for vote as to who won the debate.

If it sounds interesting please reply. I will check back tomorrow.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just thought I'd liven this up... here's a potential topic for a one-on-one debate with any takers:

"The Ontario provincial policy on Gay-Straight Alliances should apply to separate schools too"

Background points:

- Ontario has a Catholic separate school system, publicly funded on an equal basis with the public board, but with a Catholic curriculum.
- The Ontario Ministry of Education put forward a policy stating that all public schools should provide a gay-straight alliance if requested by students.
- The province's Catholic school boards put forward policies in response stating that gay-straight alliances would not be allowed at any Catholic school, citing Catholic teaching about homosexuality as the reason.
- The school boards have won out so far. No Ontario Catholic schools have gay-straight alliances.

I'm thinking we could do it as something like a formal debate, with a constructive phase (1 post each) to outline the points, and then a rebuttal phase (1 post each) to respond to the arguments given in the constructive phase. Like a formal debate, no new material could be introduced in the rebuttal phase. The character limit for a post (10,000 characters) can serve as our limit on length for each phase.

So... what do you think? It could work either as a one-on-one debate, or as a team debate (2 on 2 or 3 on 3), where each debater gets to make one post in each phase.

I'd want to be on the affirmative side. Any takers?

Bismillah

Submit
On Catholic schools in Ontario? Gay-straight alliances? Both?
It seems a bit vague ATM, what do you mean won-out? Gay straight alliances are not allowed to form in Catholic schools or they haven't gained any momentum, their lack of presence could be either or.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This please...
Here's a quick description from myGSA.ca, a web site run by Egale Canada, an LGBT rights organization:

1. What is a GSA?
A Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) is an official student club with lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, two-spirited, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) and heterosexual student membership and one or two teachers who serve as faculty advisors. Students in a school with a GSA know that they have at least one or two adults they can talk to about LGBTQ matters. The purpose of a GSA is to provide a much-needed safer space in which LGBTQ students and allies can work together on making their schools more welcoming for all members of school communities, regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity. Such groups also function as safe havens and supports for students with LGBTQ parents, other family members, and friends.
Frequently Asked Questions | Egale Canada's MyGSA.ca

Examples of typical GSA activities can be found here: GSA Guide | Egale Canada's MyGSA.ca

As for Ontario government policy in this regard, the requirement to enable the formation of GSAs when requested by students comes from a Ministry of Education Policy/Program Memorandum:

In order to promote a positive school climate, school boards must provide opportunities for all members of the school community to increase their knowledge and understanding of such issues as homophobia, gender-based violence, sexual harassment, inappropriate sexual behaviour, critical media literacy, and safe Internet use. Ontario's curriculum provides many opportunities for students to develop an understanding of these topics. Boards must also help school staff to give support to students who wish to participate in gay–straight alliances and in other student-led activities that promote understanding and development of healthy relationships. Schools must also engage their school councils and student councils to support these student-led activities.

It seems a bit vague ATM, what do you mean won-out? Gay straight alliances are not allowed to form in Catholic schools or they haven't gained any momentum, their lack of presence could be either or.
I mean that the school boards have been successful in blocking the formation of these groups.

Tell you what, guys: if you want to discuss this further, we can create a new thread so that we don't pull the "Challenge" thread off-topic.