• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Bitter Rift Divides Atheists

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
In what way, though? Which part didn't you take so literally?
The schism part, for example. I did not take it as resembling any kind of real schism but just a metaphor. But maybe the article meant for it to be taken as a literal schism and I just read it wrong. That seems to be how everyone else here has interpreted it.

rojse

RF Addict
The schism part, for example. I did not take it as resembling any kind of real schism but just a metaphor. But maybe the article meant for it to be taken as a literal schism and I just read it wrong. That seems to be how everyone else here has interpreted it.

:yes:

And I must admit, that is what had me posting my "crusading atheists" line in half-seriousness. Might have spent a bit more time considering your possible view.

d3vaLL

Nine year old Tommy has a trick. He says to two of his friends "if I can make your quarter disappear, I get to keep it." Tommy takes his friend Joe's quarter in his palms and lifts his hands to his mouth. He blows and opens his hands, revealing a missing quarter. Joe and Stan are astonished. More children gather around Tommy and the two boys. As Tommy turns to face the crowd, Joe and Stan hear a jingle in Tommy's pocket. Both Joe and Stan frown as Tommy takes Frank's quarter and blows on it. Joe tells the other boys it's a trick. Tommy laughs as the other boys tease Joe. Joe is a jerk.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

I don't understand. How do you take that as a metaphor? Are they not saying atheists are split into two parties due to some ideological differences?

tomasortega

atheism is made up of anti theists and non theists. anti theists believe in the inexistence of a god, non theists do not believe in the existence of a god. one is belief, the other is lack of belief. thats the difference

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't understand. How do you take that as a metaphor? Are they not saying atheists are split into two parties due to some ideological differences?

Dishonest of me to say so without reading the rest of it, but in the first couple paragraphs they're definitely implying a linear transition in "atheist thought" from Mark Twain to Richard Dawkins to Bruce Sheiman (who, btw, seems to be doing a great job of promoting himself.)

dogsgod

atheism is made up of anti theists and non theists. anti theists believe in the inexistence of a god, non theists do not believe in the existence of a god. one is belief, the other is lack of belief. thats the difference
Leprechauns don't exist, I guess that makes me an anti of some sort. Anti-myth, yeah that's it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I wish I could share your cheery optimism.:cool:

I rather suspect there are religionists who are keeping their views quiet - for now - for much the same reasons you mention applied to atheists. They may not be hiding under every bed but there are more out there than your remark suggests.:(
I've recently been hanging out on a Catholic board, and I've been disturbed by the number of posters, mainly Americans, who speak in glowing terms about how Malta* should be the model for their own nation.

It's not quite "burning heretics in the street", but I still find it disturbing.

*nominal religious freedom, but 98% of the population is Catholic, Catholicism is the state religion, all public schools are affiliated with the Catholic Church, and the Church is encouraged to have a voice in public affairs.

OmarKhayyam

I've recently been hanging out on a Catholic board, and I've been disturbed by the number of posters, mainly Americans, who speak in glowing terms about how Malta* should be the model for their own nation.

It's not quite "burning heretics in the street", but I still find it disturbing.

*nominal religious freedom, but 98% of the population is Catholic, Catholicism is the state religion, all public schools are affiliated with the Catholic Church, and the Church is encouraged to have a voice in public affairs.

Yes, there is a common assumption on this site that the Westboro Church are OBL and friends are the only groups interested in controlling our lives.

Not true - by long shot. They are merely the most obvious and active. But they represent many others lucking in the background. As evidenced by your catholic poster who neither a nut case nor a single voice.:sad4:

rageoftyrael

Veritas
i don't care what your made up being says! i would pick up a gun and go nuts if they tried to change to anything religion controlled.