• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

59 ways the Quran tell a muslim how to behave

stevecanuck

Can Muslims interpret god any way or does Islam have a solid foundational beliefs to which no interpretation is appropriate?

Mohamed clearly operated under the my-way-or-the-highway model. Verse 5:3 strongly suggests the Qur'an is an instruction book as opposed to a general guide - "This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Mohamed clearly operated under the my-way-or-the-highway model. Verse 5:3 strongly suggests the Qur'an is an instruction book as opposed to a general guide - "This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion".
Mohammad speaks to his followers and says that now the teaching is finished and safe to follow for those who do it, it does not say anything about other religions.

stevecanuck

Mohammad speaks to his followers and says that now the teaching is finished and safe to follow for those who do it, it does not say anything about other religions.

Of course it does. Saying that Islam has been chosen as the religion of choice automatically excludes all others.

stevecanuck

I know. That's not what I'm getting at though. For example, in christianity the basic tenants everyone agrees with is biblical authority, the importance and purpose of jesus christ, of course a creator, and repentance and salvation. It's not wrong that people have different interpretations of these basic tenants but they exist none the less.

To me it seems like you're mixing interpretation and basic teachings. A christian may have an interpretation of the divinity of christ, but they still hold the importance of jesus christ and purpose of his existence.

I was asking if Islam core teachings (not Muslim and Sufi interpretations) are fixed for every Muslim and Sufi or are there different core teachings for each sect?

I recently reread the Qur'an in chronological order and summarized it. For the Meccan period I came up with these core beliefs:

- God sent Gabriel to Mohamed to deliver the Qur'an. (53:2-8 "Your Companion [Mohamed] is neither astray nor being misled. It [the Qur'an] is no less than inspiration sent down to him. He was taught by one Mighty in Power [Gabriel]", 27:6 "And most surely you [Mohamed] are made to receive the Qur'an from the Wise, the Knowing Allah").

- Mohamed, as God's messenger, is to be obeyed. (26:162-163 "I am to you a messenger worthy of all trust. So fear Allah and obey me").

- The Qur'an is God's final and most perfect message. Several verses such as 7:2 and 11:1 mention "the book [the Qur'an]", but a verse from Medina serves as the final word on the matter. (5:3 "This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you [the Qur'an], and have chosen for you Islam as your religion").

- God created everything. (39:62 "Allah is the Creator of all things, and He is the Guardian and Disposer of all affairs", 7:54 "His verily is all creation and commandment. Blessed be Allah, the Lord of the Worlds").

- God has no equals or partners, such as Jesus or pagan gods. (27:26 "Allah, there is no god but He", 27:60 "Is there a god with Allah? Nay!", 17:111 "He has not begotten a son and has no partner in His Kingdom", 19:35 "It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son").

- Your life is meant to be spent worshiping and obeying God. The degree to which you do so will be the sole criterion on which you will be judged and sent to either Heaven or Hell. This is undoubtedly the most frequently repeated theme. (21:92 "I am your Lord, so worship Me", 7:3 "Follow the revelation given unto you from your Lord", 7:40 "To those who reject Our signs [the Qur'an] and treat them with arrogance, no opening will there be of the gates of heaven". 7:50 "The Companions of the Fire will call to the Companions of the Garden: 'Pour down to us water or anything that Allah doth provide for your sustenance'. They will say: 'Both these things hath Allah forbidden to those who rejected Him'", 53:62 "prostrate yourselves before Allah and serve Him").

- People are either believers (Muslims) or unbelievers. Every description of character, conduct, and religious observance is based on this distinction. (7:176 "A person who follows his own lust is like a dog: if you attack him he pants with his tongue out, and if you leave him he pants with his tongue out. Such is the likeness of people who deny Our verses", 7:179 "They [unbelievers] are worse than lost cattle", 70:42 "So leave them to plunge in vain talk and play about, until they meet their Day which they are promised", 80:42 "they who are unbelievers, the wicked", 67:22 "Is then one who walks headlong, with his face grovelling, better guided, or one who walks evenly on a Straight Way?").

- Rejecting the word of God (and therefore Islam) is the greatest sin/crime. (39:32 "Who, then, doth more wrong than one who utters a lie concerning Allah, and rejects the Truth when it comes to him; is there not in Hell an abode for blasphemers?", 40:10 "The disbelievers will be told, 'God's hatred towards you is much greater than your hatred of your own selves. You were called to the faith but you disbelieved'").

- God guides or causes to err who he pleases. (14:4 "God guides or causes to go astray whomever He wants, 7:178 "Whomsoever Allah guides, he is the one who follows the right way; and whomsoever He causes to err, these are the losers".)

- When unbelievers see they are about to be cast into Hell, they will try without success to convince God that their unbelief is the fault of others. They will claim to now be believers and beg for forgiveness, but it will be too late. (34:33 "Those who had been despised [Muslims] will say to the arrogant ones [unbelievers]: "Nay! it was a plot (of yours) by day and by night: Behold! Ye (constantly) ordered us to be ungrateful to Allah and to attribute equals to Him!" They will declare (their) repentance when they see the Penalty: We shall put yokes on the necks of the Unbelievers: It would only be a requital for their (ill) Deeds").

- Unbelievers dismiss the Qur'an as myths of old. (27:68 "These are nothing but tales of the ancients").
- Unbelievers say the Qur'an comes from Mohamed, a liar, rather than God. (74:25 "These are only words from a mere mortal", 38:4 "The disbelievers say: This is an enchanter, a liar").

- Mohamed is not insane and not to be mocked. (68:2 "Thou [Mohamed] are not, by the Grace of God, mad or possessed", 15:95 "We [God] suffice thee [Mohamed] against the mockers").

- Mohamed is the perfect role model. (68:4 "And verily, you [Mohamed] are on an exalted standard of character").

- The pagans of Mecca will burn in Hell for their rejection of Islam and their mockery of Mohamed. (21:98 "Lo! ye (idolaters) and that which ye worship beside Allah are fuel of hell").

- God is aware of everything you do and think. (40:19 "God knows the disloyalty of the eyes and what the hearts conceal").

- Old Testament stories of Adam, Moses, Noah, Lot, Abraham, etc. are told and retold to instill fear of God's wrath. Implicit in this seemingly endless retelling is the threat that God could choose to destroy Mecca as He did Sodom. (7:78 "So the earthquake seized them, and they lay (dead), prostrate in their homes" [Lot - Sodom and Gomorrah], 69:11 "When the flood rose high and covered the whole land, We carried you in the Ark" [Noah], 17:103 "The Pharaoh wanted to expel the Israelites from the land so We drowned him and all who were with him").

- The Ad and Thamud people (not mentioned in the Bible) were disobedient to God and therefore destroyed. (29:156 "But the Penalty seized them. Verily in this is a Sign").

- Earth will be destroyed and every person's eternal fate will be decided on Judgement Day. (73:14 "On the day when the earth and the mountains shall quake and the mountains shall become (as) heaps of sand let loose", 81:6 "And when the seas are set on fire", 81:12-14 "And when Hellfire is set ablaze, And when Paradise is brought near, every soul will discover the consequence of its deeds").
- Heaven is a "garden of bliss" wherein the believers' every need will be met. (41:30 "Lo! those who say: Our Lord is Allah, and afterward are upright, the angels descend upon them, saying: Fear not nor grieve, but hear good tidings of the paradise which ye are promised", 52:20 "They will recline on couches arranged in rows and We shall couple them with maidens with large, lovely eyes").

- Hell is a literal fire in which unbelievers will burn for eternity. (21:39 "If the unbelievers but knew when that they shall not ward off the Fire from their faces nor from their backs, neither shall they be helped", 34:42 "We shall say to the wrong-doers, "Taste ye the Penalty of the Fire,- that which ye were wont to deny").

- Do not trade an eternity of bliss in Heaven for temporary pleasures on Earth. (87:16-17 "But ye prefer the life of the world while the Hereafter is better and more enduring").

- Unbelievers are evil and followers of Satan. (7:177 "How evil an example are people who denied Our signs and used to wrong themselves", 19:86 "and drive the evildoers [followers of Satan] into Hell", 14:22 "And Satan will say when the matter is decided: 'I had no authority over you except to call you, but you listened to me: then reproach not me, but reproach your own souls ... I reject your former act in associating me with Allah. For wrong-doers there must be a grievous penalty'").

- To say that God had a son is evil. (19:88-89 "They say: '(Allah) Most Gracious has begotten a son. Indeed ye have put forth a thing most monstrous'").

stevecanuck

Allah speak to me through the teachings yes. As a pacifist i do not take part in war,

Then you are in grave danger of being sent to The Fire according to verse 9:111 - "Indeed, Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed. [It is] a true promise [binding] upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah ? So rejoice in your transaction which you have contracted. And it is that which is the great attainment.".

Not only are you supposed to "fight in the cause of Allah", but you are expected to do so with joy.

..., I do not have enemies.

Then you're not following the lead of Allah - 2:98 "Allah is an enemy to the disbelievers.".

Nor do I hate or dislike non-believers

Again, you're not following Allah - 3:32 "Allah does not love the unbelievers.".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Then you are in grave danger of being sent to The Fire according to verse 9:111 - "Indeed, Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed. [It is] a true promise [binding] upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah ? So rejoice in your transaction which you have contracted. And it is that which is the great attainment.".

Not only are you supposed to "fight in the cause of Allah", but you are expected to do so with joy.

Then you're not following the lead of Allah - 2:98 "Allah is an enemy to the disbelievers.".

Again, you're not following Allah - 3:32 "Allah does not love the unbelievers.".
1: The fight I fight is a non violent one, I fight an inward fight to undo my own ego. I am my own worse enemy
2: I am fighting my own ego with joy because I see how much more happy I have become the less attached I am to this world and the wants and needs of this world (example, I live a minimalistic lifestyle, it get me close to allah)
3: Again, I do not speak for Allah.

stevecanuck

1: The fight I fight is a non violent one, I fight an inward fight to undo my own ego. I am my own worse enemy
2: I am fighting my own ego with joy because I see how much more happy I have become the less attached I am to this world and the wants and needs of this world (example, I live a minimalistic lifestyle, it get me close to allah)

Then you're directly disobeying Allah. Verse 9:111 could not be more clear.

3: Again, I do not speak for Allah.

Nobody said you did. We all know that the Qur'an speaks for Allah. And it says ..... well, I just covered that.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Then you're directly disobeying Allah. Verse 9:111 could not be more clear.

Nobody said you did. We all know that the Qur'an speaks for Allah. And it says ..... well, I just covered that.
If I am disobeying Allah, that will be between Allah and me the day I die. As for what Sufi's teaching saying, it is not a form of disobedience of Allah to be a peaceful person.

stevecanuck

If I am disobeying Allah, that will be between Allah and me the day I die. As for what Sufi's teaching saying, it is not a form of disobedience of Allah to be a peaceful person.

I know you believe that. What I don't understand is how you believe that.

Please use 9:111 as an example of a verse that clearly commands you to do something you don't want to do. Remember, "fighting is prescribed for you even though you may not like it" (2:216).

Thank you.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I know you believe that. What I don't understand is how you believe that.

Please use 9:111 as an example of a verse that clearly commands you to do something you don't want to do. Remember, "fighting is prescribed for you even though you may not like it" (2:216).

Thank you.
Again, the fight in 9:111 is to me the inward fight against the ego. And that is a fight I am happy to take.

First the surah you sked about then the explanation that is very similar to my own understanding of this verse.

Verse:
[9:111] Surely Allah has purchased of the believers their lives and their belongings and in return has promised that they shall have Paradise.106 They fight in the Way of Allah, and slay and are slain. Such is the promise He has made incumbent upon Himself in the Torah, and the Gospel, and the Qur'an.107 Who is more faithful to his promise than Allah? Rejoice, then, in the bargain you have made with Him. That indeed is the mighty triumph.

Explenation:
106. In this verse that aspect of the Islamic faith which determines the nature of the relationship between Allah and His servants has been called a transaction. This means that faith is not merely a metaphysical conception but is, in fact, a contract by which the servant sells his life and possessions to Allah and in return for this accepts His promise that He would give him the Garden in the life after death. In order to comprehend the full implications of this transaction, let us first understand its nature.

We should note it well at the outset that, in reality, this transaction is not in regard to the actual selling of the life and possessions of the servant to Allah in the literal sense, for Allah is in fact the real Owner of man’s life and possessions. Allah alone has the right of ownership because He is the Creator of man and of everything he possesses and uses. Therefore there is no question at all of selling and buying in the worldly sense; for man possesses nothing of his own to sell, and Allah has no need to buy anything because everything already belongs to Him. However, there is one thing which has entirely been entrusted to man by Allah, that is, the freedom of will and the freedom of choice, and the transaction concerns that thing.

Of course, it is true that this freedom does not make any change in the real position of man with regard to the right of ownership to his own life and his possessions. They belong to Allah Who has delegated to him only the authority to use or abuse these things as he wills, without any coercion or compulsion from Him. This means that man has been given the freedom to acknowledge or not to acknowledge that Allah is the owner of his life and property. The transaction mentioned in Ayat 111 is concerning the voluntary surrender of this freedom to Allah’s will. In other words, Allah wills to test man whether he acknowledges the ownership of Allah over his life and property, in spite of that freedom, and considers himself to be their trustee only, or behaves as if he were their owner and so could do whatever he liked with them.

Thus, the terms of this transaction from Allah’s side are these: “If you voluntarily, and not by compulsion or coercion, agree to acknowledge that your life, your property and everything in this world, which in fact belong to me, are mine: And if you consider yourself only as their trustees; And if you voluntarily surrender the freedom I have given you to behave; And if you, in a dishonest way do not intend to become their master and owner; Then, I will give you in return, Gardens in the eternal life of the next world”. The one who makes this bargain with Allah is a believer, for faith is in fact the other name for making this bargain. On the other hand, the one who refuses to make this bargain, or after making it adopts the attitude of the one who has not made the bargain, is a kafir. For, technically, kufr is the term applied to the refusal to make this bargain.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Allah speak to me through the teachings yes.
No, I meant that they speak for you. As in, you necessarily agree with everything they say, including all the violent and intolerant stuff.

As a pacifist i do not take part in war, but I would care for the human beings who were wounded, I do not yave enemies. Nor do I hate or dislike non-believers
Pacifism and Islam are incompatible. As Allah says in the Quran "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."
Obviously this does not mean that you must fight all the time, but you must fight when it is required.

With all due respect, It seems that perhaps Islam isn't the right religion for you? Something like Jainism might be a better fit rather than trying to redefine Islam as something it isn't.
It's a bit like ordering a roast beef dinner and then asking the chef to leave out all the meat elements because you are vegetarian.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No, I meant that they speak for you. As in, you necessarily agree with everything they say, including all the violent and intolerant stuff.

Pacifism and Islam are incompatible. As Allah says in the Quran "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."
Obviously this does not mean that you must fight all the time, but you must fight when it is required.

With all due respect, It seems that perhaps Islam isn't the right religion for you? Something like Jainism might be a better fit rather than trying to redefine Islam as something it isn't.
It's a bit like ordering a roast beef dinner and then asking the chef to leave out all the meat elements because you are vegetarian.
In Sufism, there are those who adhere to pacifism and there are those who see value in fighting a physical war.
The path I have taken is a spiritual one inward, and the fight I do as I already said, is a fight to reduce or even end the ego.
By the way :) I am a vegetarian. It does not describe that I Have to be a vegetarian in Islam, only Pork is haram to me. But I do not wish to cause any harm to any being, therefore I chose to not eat any form of meat.

You are welcome to disagree with my way of practicing Sufism, and you are welcome to think you know what is best for me.

KWED

Again, the fight in 9:111 is to me the inward fight against the ego. And that is a fight I am happy to take.
That makes no sense in the context of the passage. It refers to killing others and being killed. How is that compatible with an internal struggle?
And don't forget all the other passages that explicitly talk about physical conflict, killing enemies, etc.
Bear in mind the different kinds of Jihad which include Jihad of the heart and Jihad of the sword. One is clearly referring to the internal struggle while the other is a physical struggle against physical opponents. To claim Jihad only applies to an internal, ego struggle is simply and demonstrably wrong.

First the surah you sked about then the explanation that is very similar to my own understanding of this verse.

Verse:
[9:111] Surely Allah has purchased of the believers their lives and their belongings and in return has promised that they shall have Paradise.106 They fight in the Way of Allah, and slay and are slain. Such is the promise He has made incumbent upon Himself in the Torah, and the Gospel, and the Qur'an.107 Who is more faithful to his promise than Allah? Rejoice, then, in the bargain you have made with Him. That indeed is the mighty triumph.

Explenation:
106. In this verse that aspect of the Islamic faith which determines the nature of the relationship between Allah and His servants has been called a transaction. This means that faith is not merely a metaphysical conception but is, in fact, a contract by which the servant sells his life and possessions to Allah and in return for this accepts His promise that He would give him the Garden in the life after death. In order to comprehend the full implications of this transaction, let us first understand its nature.

We should note it well at the outset that, in reality, this transaction is not in regard to the actual selling of the life and possessions of the servant to Allah in the literal sense, for Allah is in fact the real Owner of man’s life and possessions. Allah alone has the right of ownership because He is the Creator of man and of everything he possesses and uses. Therefore there is no question at all of selling and buying in the worldly sense; for man possesses nothing of his own to sell, and Allah has no need to buy anything because everything already belongs to Him. However, there is one thing which has entirely been entrusted to man by Allah, that is, the freedom of will and the freedom of choice, and the transaction concerns that thing.

Of course, it is true that this freedom does not make any change in the real position of man with regard to the right of ownership to his own life and his possessions. They belong to Allah Who has delegated to him only the authority to use or abuse these things as he wills, without any coercion or compulsion from Him. This means that man has been given the freedom to acknowledge or not to acknowledge that Allah is the owner of his life and property. The transaction mentioned in Ayat 111 is concerning the voluntary surrender of this freedom to Allah’s will. In other words, Allah wills to test man whether he acknowledges the ownership of Allah over his life and property, in spite of that freedom, and considers himself to be their trustee only, or behaves as if he were their owner and so could do whatever he liked with them.

Thus, the terms of this transaction from Allah’s side are these: “If you voluntarily, and not by compulsion or coercion, agree to acknowledge that your life, your property and everything in this world, which in fact belong to me, are mine: And if you consider yourself only as their trustees; And if you voluntarily surrender the freedom I have given you to behave; And if you, in a dishonest way do not intend to become their master and owner; Then, I will give you in return, Gardens in the eternal life of the next world”. The one who makes this bargain with Allah is a believer, for faith is in fact the other name for making this bargain. On the other hand, the one who refuses to make this bargain, or after making it adopts the attitude of the one who has not made the bargain, is a kafir. For, technically, kufr is the term applied to the refusal to make this bargain.
Ibn Kathir explains...
(They fight in Allah's cause, so they kill and are killed.) indicates that whether they were killed or they kill the enemy, or both, then Paradise will be theirs.

This explicit and unequivocal promise of paradise for Muslims who die or kill enemies while fighting "in Allah's cause" has led to huge amounts of violence and suffering.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That makes no sense in the context of the passage. It refers to killing others and being killed. How is that compatible with an internal struggle?
And don't forget all the other passages that explicitly talk about physical conflict, killing enemies, etc.
Bear in mind the different kinds of Jihad which include Jihad of the heart and Jihad of the sword. One is clearly referring to the internal struggle while the other is a physical struggle against physical opponents. To claim Jihad only applies to an internal, ego struggle is simply and demonstrably wrong.

Ibn Kathir explains...
(They fight in Allah's cause, so they kill and are killed.) indicates that whether they were killed or they kill the enemy, or both, then Paradise will be theirs.

This explicit and unequivocal promise of paradise for Muslims who die or kill enemies while fighting "in Allah's cause" has led to huge amounts of violence and suffering.
I can only speak for how I as Sufi practice nonviolence and how my teacher is teaching me to serve with the most unconditional love that is possible.

The path I take is of peace and love.

KWED

In Sufism, there are those who adhere to pacifism and there are those who see value in fighting a physical war.
The path I have taken is a spiritual one inward, and the fight I do as I already said, is a fight to reduce or even end the ego.
By the way :) I am a vegetarian. It does not describe that I Have to be a vegetarian in Islam, only Pork is haram to me. But I do not wish to cause any harm to any being, therefore I chose to not eat any form of meat.

You are welcome to disagree with my way of practicing Sufism, and you are welcome to think you know what is best for me.
It just seems that as you claim to disagree with Allah on some issues to be opposed to some of Islam's core ideology, it is odd that you wish to follow and defend that ideology.

BTW, I have always been intrigued as to why there is a universal and timeless ban on eating pork. The NHS recommends lean pork as a healthy source of protein and modern farming methods mean that pork is as safe, if not safer than other foods such as chicken and fish, which are permitted. Any ideas?

KWED

I can only speak for how I as Sufi practice nonviolence and how my teacher is teaching me to serve with the most unconditional love that is possible.

The path I take is of peace and love.
No, I get this, and it is very commendable.
What I don't get is why you think Islam is the best route to achieve these goals, when you admit yourself that you disagree with Islam of important issues.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It just seems that as you claim to disagree with Allah on some issues to be opposed to some of Islam's core ideology, it is odd that you wish to follow and defend that ideology.

BTW, I have always been intrigued as to why there is a universal and timeless ban on eating pork. The NHS recommends lean pork as a healthy source of protein and modern farming methods mean that pork is as safe, if not safer than other foods such as chicken and fish, which are permitted. Any ideas?
You do know that Sufism is practiced somewhat differently than the two main paths Sunni and Shia?
Sufism focus on the internal awakening of the spiritual heart and that is unconditional love.

When it comes to why pork is haram because it is an order from Allah to the follower, that is all I would need to know. Since I am a vegetarian it does not worry me why or why not to eat pork.