• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

59 ways the Quran tell a muslim how to behave

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think it can be understood in different ways, but to me, It means to not pursue anything other than the righteous teaching, or in other words, stay away from unnecessary mundane things.
(others may understand it differently)
I've seen this expressed as a lack of curiosity, as justification for
single mindedness, as banning music & comedy in the Islamic
world. I'm a big fan of unnecessary things. Now I'm inspired to
create some commandments advisements for Revoltifarianism...
"Relish the unnecessary & mundane things in life."
"Let all enjoy displaying their finery."

firedragon

Veteran Member
46. Do not pursue that of which you have no knowledge

Isn't this one a bit of a downer on education and perhaps especially science? :oops:

You misunderstood it. We should not follow anything without sufficient knowledge. Whats that got to do with science and a so called "downer"?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Can Muslims interpret god any way or does Islam have a solid foundational beliefs to which no interpretation is appropriate?

When does interpretation become too broad that one can no longer consider her a part of that faith?

1. There is a Qur'anic interpretation
2. and there are extra Quranic interpretations.
3. Then there are Quranic interpretations taking one verse at a time, and associating it with an existing idea or current idea.
4. Then you get a principle called Quran bi Quran, which means interpret the Quranic verse based on Quranic verses themselves. Which simply means "internal context". Context of the book itself.

These are four main ways people have made so called interpretations that you speak of above. If you use your intellect, I think you will understand which one is superior or sound.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I've seen this expressed as a lack of curiosity, as justification for
single mindedness, as banning music & comedy in the Islamic
world. I'm a big fan of unnecessary things. Now I'm inspired to
create some commandments advisements for Revoltifarianism...
"Relish the unnecessary & mundane things in life."
"Let all enjoy displaying their finery."

Thats strange. Which tradition in the Islamic discourse used that verse to ban those things? Please provide some specific information. Thanks in advance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thats strange. Which tradition in the Islamic discourse used that verse to ban those things? Please provide some specific information. Thanks in advance.
Of course I cannot cite any Islamic source material.
I don't ever read anyone's scripture. But I hear what
Muslims themselves say of their religion. And so I
only of what I read from some Muslims.
Note the "some" prefix.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You misunderstood it. We should not follow anything without sufficient knowledge. Whats that got to do with science and a so called "downer"?
So does that include the provenance of all religious texts - as to every bit of mistranslation, lost meaning, or just bad copying? As presented, the meaning seemed clear but not so, given that we usually start with no knowledge and hence we would be going nowhere - pursuing nothing. :oops:

firedragon

Veteran Member
So does that include the provenance of all religious texts - as to every bit of mistranslation, lost meaning, or just bad copying? As presented, the meaning seemed clear but not so, given that we usually start with no knowledge and hence we would be going nowhere - pursuing nothing. :oops:

You misunderstood it.

This verse instructs us to use both our reason and senses to examine all the information we receive. It warns us against blindly following a religious teaching or political ideology and asks as to be iconoclasts.

InvestigateTruth

continue from post one.

40. Do not gamble
“Satan only wants to cause between you animosity and hatred through intoxicants and gambling and to avert you from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. So will you not desist?” – The Holy Quran 5:91

41. Do not insult others’ deities
“And do not insult those they invoke other than Allah, lest they insult Allah in enmity without knowledge. Thus We have made pleasing to every community their deeds. Then to their Lord is their return, and He will inform them about what they used to do.” – The Holy Quran 6:108

42. Eat and Drink, But Be Not Excessive
“O children of Adam, take your adornment at every masjid, and eat and drink, but be not excessive. Indeed, He likes not those who commit excess.” – The Holy Quran 7:31

43. Protect and help those who seek protection
“And if any one of the polytheists seeks your protection, then grant him protection so that he may hear the words of Allah . Then deliver him to his place of safety. That is because they are a people who do not know.” – The Holy Quran 9:6

44. Allah will forgive those who have done wrong out of ignorance
“Then, indeed your Lord, to those who have done wrong out of ignorance and then repent after that and correct themselves – indeed, your Lord, thereafter, is Forgiving and Merciful.” – The Holy Quran 16:119

45. Invitation to God should be with wisdom and good instruction
“Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best. Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided.” – The Holy Quran 16:125

“And do not pursue that of which you have no knowledge. Indeed, the hearing, the sight and the heart – about all those [one] will be questioned.” – The Holy Quran 17.36

47. Keep aloof from what is vain
“And they who turn away from ill speech” – The Holy Quran 23:3

48. Do not enter others’ houses without seeking permission
“O you who have believed, do not enter houses other than your own houses until you ascertain welcome and greet their inhabitants. That is best for you; perhaps you will be reminded.” – The Holy Quran 24:27

49. Walk on earth with humility
“And the servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk upon the earth easily, and when the ignorant address them [harshly], they say [words of] peace” – The Holy Quran 25:63

50. Judge with justice between people
“Indeed, Allah commands you to render trusts to whom they are due and when you judge between people to judge with justice. Excellent is that which Allah instructs you. Indeed, Allah is ever Hearing and Seeing.” – The Holy Quran 4:58

51. Do not neglect your portion of this world
“But seek, through that which Allah has given you, the home of the Hereafter; and [yet], do not forget your share of the world. And do good as Allah has done good to you. And desire not corruption in the land. Indeed, Allah does not like corrupters.” – The Holy Quran 28:77
52:.Enjoin right, forbid wrong

O my son, establish prayer, enjoin what is right, forbid what is wrong, and be patient over what befalls you. Indeed, [all] that is of the matters [requiring] determination.” – The Holy Quran 31:17

53. Do not walk in insolence through the earth
“And do not turn your cheek [in contempt] toward people and do not walk through the earth exultantly. Indeed, Allah does not like everyone self-deluded and boastful.” – The Holy Quran 31:18

54. Women should not display their finery
“And abide in your houses and do not display yourselves as [was] the display of the former times of ignorance. And establish prayer and give zakah and obey Allah and His Messenger. Allah intends only to remove from you the impurity [of sin], O people of the [Prophet’s] household, and to purify you with [extensive] purification.” – The Holy Quran 33:33

55. Do not despair of the mercy of Allah
“Say, “O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah.” – The Holy Quran 39:53

56. Decide on affairs by consultation
“And those who have responded to their lord and established prayer and whose affair is [determined by] consultation among themselves, and from what We have provided them, they spend.” – The Holy Quran 42:38

57. The most noble of you is the most righteous
“O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.” – The Holy Quran 49:13

58. Act justly to people of all faiths
“Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes – from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.” – The Holy Quran 60:8

59. Seek forgiveness of Allah. He is Forgiving and Merciful
“And whatever good you put forward for yourselves – you will find it with Allah . It is better and greater in reward. And seek forgiveness of Allah . Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.” – The Holy Quran 73:20
Excellent!

But if we don't do any of these good behaviors, and instead we believe in Allah, say the daily prayer, and avoid pork, and women wear Hijab, we go to heaven, and that's what matters, right?
:confused:

InvestigateTruth

Isn't this one a bit of a downer on education and perhaps especially science? :oops:
No, I understand it differently. I think it says, for example if a person is not an engineer and does not know engineering, do not accept responsibility of working as an engineer. Or if you are not a doctor, and do not have knowledge of medicine, do not work as a doctor, because it is obviously wrong.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Excellent!

But if we don't do any of these good behaviors, and instead we believe in Allah, say the daily prayer, and avoid pork, and women wear Hijab, we go to heaven, and that's what matters, right?
:confused:
To me, all the 59 are just as important as quran, 5 pillars and sufi texts,
Does it mean I can enter heaven? No.
Belief in it self is not enough ( in my understanding)

The Crimson Universe

41. Do not insult others’ deities
“And do not insult those they invoke other than Allah, lest they insult Allah in enmity without knowledge. Thus We have made pleasing to every community their deeds. Then to their Lord is their return, and He will inform them about what they used to do.” – The Holy Quran 6:108

I don't exactly remember which verse it was but as i was surfing the web few years back i came across a verse from Quran where it said something like this ... "raise your swords against those who do not believe in Allah or against those who are pagans/idolaters/believers of other faiths".

Are there really any such verses in the Quran? If so, do you think Allah would have said such things of violence? ... or are they the words of mortals who twisted God's actual message?

As a Sufi, I have only one way to behave toward others, to be good toward anyone who comes into my life, and to hold unconditional love within my heart, online or in the real life. To me, harming others is not an option. So no cherry-picking

You're one of the nicest person i've seen on RF. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't exactly remember which verse it was but as i was surfing the web few years back i came across a verse from Quran where it said something like this ... "raise your swords against those who do not believe in Allah or against those who are pagans/idolaters/believers of other faiths".

Are there really any such verses in the Quran? If so, do you think Allah would have said such things of violence? ... or are they the words of mortals who twisted God's actual message?

You're one of the nicest person i've seen on RF. :)
In the Quran, there are verses of war, yes, and in my understanding, those verses are meant to be understood and to be used only during the war. not in daily life where we live next to all kinds of religious people.
But some Muslims would tell you that, no they have to "hate" anyone who disagrees with how they see Allah and Islam.

I might be a very peaceful Sufi :) and do not wish to harm any living being.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No, I understand it differently. I think it says, for example if a person is not an engineer and does not know engineering, do not accept responsibility of working as an engineer. Or if you are not a doctor, and do not have knowledge of medicine, do not work as a doctor, because it is obviously wrong.
That seems fair enough I'll agree.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Of course I cannot cite any Islamic source material.
I don't ever read anyone's scripture. But I hear what
Muslims themselves say of their religion. And so I
only of what I read from some Muslims.
Note the "some" prefix.

Well, not the verse you cited.

There is another verse some people use for trying to ban music or rather "make music a bad thing". Not this one, or any of the ones in the OP. I cannot really believe that this verse was read that way really.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, not the verse you cited.
I couldn't knowingly cite any verse...I don't know any.
There is another verse some people use for trying to ban music or rather "make music a bad thing". Not this one, or any of the ones in the OP. I cannot really believe that this verse was read that way really.
One thing I notice about any religious scripture is
that people can read vastly different things from it.
Just look at vaccination....2 opposing sides citing
the same book.