• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5 questions about Sin.

Ribbon

Hey, I have an assignment to ask at least three peeps these 5 questions. I'm not trying to start a debate here or say you're right or you're wrong, I'm simply asking for your own opinions and thoughts. Here are the questions...

1. What is Sin?

2. Are all people sinners?

3. Do people become sinners when they sin or do they sin because they are sinners?

4. What is God's penalty for sin, if any?

5. Are there penalties that occur on earth for sins in a person's daily life?

And here are my answers...

1. I believe sin is anything we think, say, or do contrary to the character or law of God.

2. I believe all people are sinners.

3. I believe people sin because they're sinners. Since we were born after Adam and Eve, we inherited a sinful nature. Even before a baby sins, they are a sinner because they have been concieved and born into a fallen world and have already inherited a sinful nature.

4. I believe God's penalty for sin is death. (Spiritually and physically). Because we are fallen, our bodies age and die. And if we die physically before we accept and believe in Jesus as Savior and Son of God and His death and ressurection as payment for our sin, we will go to Hell and live our spiritual death and seperation from God forever.

5. I believe when you sin, you are hurting God, yourself, and others. There is always a consequence. You may just not realize or see it at first.

What do you think/believe? :)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
1. What is Sin?
Missing the mark

no, we are people who are capable of good and bad...but we are not inherently sinners

3. Do people become sinners when they sin or do they sin because they are sinners?
people stay people, we sin because we are imperfect beings by nature. I do not like the term "sinner", we are all capable of sinning, and all capable of repentance.

it's whatever He chooses it to be. I don't concern myself with it.

maybe yes, maybe no...it is for G-d to decide.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

(For the record, I'm a Baha'i.)

1. What is Sin?

Orientation toward oneself or something else instead of toward God.

No, though the vast majority are.

The former.

Spiritual death if not stopped and repented for, but please note that this is in fact SELF-IMPOSED due to the fact that we all have free will and can choose to orient ourselves toward God and His Law or not!

Spiritual damage to oneself can clearly occur here, and will have HUGE effects after death if not corrected by then.

Earthly penalties may or may not also apply depending on the act(s) in question....

Regards,

Bruce

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
One UU's answers:
Ribbon said:
1. What is Sin?
Humankind's innate inhumanity. Or the Rev. Forrest Church defines it as, "anything that divides us: within ourselves; against our neighbor; from the ground of our being, the god of all creation"

We are all human, we all make mistakes, do bad things, and fall short of our ideals. So, yes.

I do not believe that a person is born and enslaved in the manner that the doctrine of Original Sin teaches. But nor do I believe that we are all born good and then somehow get destroyed or twisted by society. Good and evil are within each of us. It's up to us to choose good.
I believe that people are punished by their sins, not for them, and the evil that we do lives with us.

That said, UUs don't usually talk much about "sin". For some it is too Christian a concept. We do recongnize that we all mess up from time to time; that no one is perfect.

:chalice:

Inky

My humble opinions:

1. If there is a strict way to determine that an action is definitely sinful, it's that it is something God would prefer you didn't do. It usually involves harming others.

2. I don't know everything about God's preferences, so I can't give a totally confident answer, but I expect almost everyone has sinned before.

3. People are sinners when they are in the act of sinning. Since it's something (almost) everyone does, it doesn't mean much to call someone a sinner just because they've done it at least once before.

4. The penalty for sin is your own guilt and the consequences of your actions.

5. Same as answer 4.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
1. What is Sin?
Doing something you know is wrong/going against your conscience.

Nobody's perfect. But concentrating on past mistakes isn't the best course of action.

Sinner is just a ridiculous label, as Jesus said "Take the log out of your eye before you take the mote out of your brother's".
Everyone does things they know are wrong, everyone sins, we're all sinners so the label is useless and pointless.
But, to answer the question, we become sinners when we sin, and once you have sinned it's not a contractual obligation to sin again.

A guilty conscience should be enough.

Like i said, guilty conscience.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Ribbon said:
1. What is Sin?
Self awareness and the separation it creates.

Ribbon said:
Sin is a state of being, not of doing or not doing. All self aware people are under sin.

Ribbon said:
Nothing. The natural consequence of sin is separation (from "God", from other people, from harmony with the cosmos)

Ribbon said:
The natural consequence of separation is alienation and an hysteric fear of death.

However, in a "worldly" sense, those who revel in their selfishness typically prosper greatly.

Hacker

Ribbon said:
1. What is Sin?
Sin is an act of will against the ten commandments.
Yes, I think we are all born inherently sinners and the purpose of life is to achieve spiritual growth by not sinning.
I believe it's a little of both. You can choose the right action, however the REASON we sin is because we ARE born sinners but the choice to sin is what constitutes penalty without repentance or else , you reep what you sow(karma).

I believe in Karma, I believe Karma is lessons to be learned and each sin or wrongful act commited will need to be confronted by some lesson to be learned.
5. Are there penalties that occur on earth for sins in a person's daily life?[/QUOTE
Yes, Karma.
These are my opinions.:)

Random

Ribbon said:
What is Sin?

A transgression against God. On one level it is negative or bad Karma propagating itself through your actions, but on a deeper level it is essentially Guilt. Without conscience or remorse, sin would not affect ones life @ all. Similarly, what sin is can be gleened by discovering what Forgiveness is and what it means. You will have one or possibly many significant moments in your life to learn this lesson.

Ribbon said:
Are all people sinners?

Insofar as we are stained by the karmic consequences of actions from both this life and past/future lives, yes, but this is a State of beingness that can be transcended.

Ribbon said:
Do people become sinners when they sin or do they sin because they are sinners?

As I said, its a impermanent State of Being so the answer here would be both: becoming sinners and assuming this state when they sin originally then sinning through deed and thought because as a result they are then "sinners". Its not a label one carries forever though, one can be freed from it.

Ribbon said:
What is God's penalty for sin, if any?

Karmic consequence can manifest in myriad ways, usually one does not fail to notice them though most still stubbornly ask "Why me?"

Ribbon said:
Are there penalties that occur on earth for sins in a person's daily life?

They have to live with themselves knowing they have wronged themselves and another. Back to the essence of it again: guilt.

Fluffy

A fool
1. What is Sin?
Imperfection

Yes

You cannot sin. Sin is part of who you are. If somebody does something bad then it is because they are a sinner.

There is no penalty for sin.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ribbon said:
Hey, I have an assignment to ask at least three peeps these 5 questions. I'm not trying to start a debate here or say you're right or you're wrong, I'm simply asking for your own opinions and thoughts. Here are the questions...

1. What is Sin?

I take the Hebrew meaning: "to miss the mark."

Well, we're all pretty much fallible.

We are fallilble, always. We "sin" because we are fallible. I stop short of calling everyone "sinners" as it's turned out into a way to make some people believe they have no worth as humans. I don't get that's quite what God had in mind.

"Sin" is more of a Christian concept, and it doesn't always translate to other religions, even other Abrahamic ones.

That's way above my pay grade. But if you're asking about eternal hellfire or something, no I don't believe in that. I do believe there are consequences for how we live our lives, though. It's just that we don't know enough to know exactly how that works.

"As you sow, so shall you reap." This is the Christian texts' version of the Eastern idea of karma. Each of the major religions, and probably most of the "minor" ones, have this concept in some form. I've observed that very often when we do harmful acts, it comes back on us later in some way.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
[
quote=Ribbon]Hey, I have an assignment to ask at least three peeps these 5 questions. I'm not trying to start a debate here or say you're right or you're wrong, I'm simply asking for your own opinions and thoughts. Here are the questions...

1. What is Sin?
Missing the mark,sin= transgression of the law of God, that he set in the hearts of man via conscience

According to scripture we are inherently sinners,maybe not as we compare ourselves with ourselves ,but in the light of God's law and standards
Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Although through free will man was made righteous before God ,but upon sin where separated from His presence
As above they are already sinners by nature and only do by nature what their sinful nature so desires,immorality
I ask ,have you lied ,stolen,hated someone,coveted,taken God's name in vain,loved God with all your heart,made a god to suit your self

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Absolutely,but when we do sin against conscience,God or man we will reap consquences just not immediately and therefore tend to think we escaped it,but there is a day appointed when all we have done will be layed bare

Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
Gal 6:7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

nature

Greetings all,
Different religious communities have different perceptions about sin.

Sin is a concept used primarily in the Abrahamic religions [Judaism, Christianity, and Islam] describing a transgression against the will of God, which calls for repentance and at times penance.

Judaism regards the breaking of the commandments or the Jewish Law to be a sin. The Jews believe that all people sin at various points in their lives, and hold that the divine justice is tempered with divine mercy.

According to them, a state of sin does not condemn a person to damnation; only one or two truly grievous sins lead to anything like the Christian idea of hell. Their liturgy of “the Days of Awe” states that prayer, repentance and charity are the means of atonement for sin.

As for Protestant Christians use the term ‘sin’ primarily to refer to what they see as “humanity's inherently sinful nature”. This is while the Catholics mostly use the word for actual instances of sin, calling “the sinful nature of humans” as “concupiscence”, in the sense of ‘an innate tendency of human beings to do evil’.​

Most denominations of Christianity hold the belief that the sin of Adam and Eve's disobedience to God is passed on to their descendants and thus the whole of mankind is accursed with that Original Sin, from which no salvation is possible unless one believes in the atoning death on the cross of the Son of God.​

As for the Islamic view of sin, it is similar to the Jewish view. In fact, the religion of Islam is the natural culmination of the progressive revelation of God from the very first prophet to the last one, Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Consequently, Islam believes in all prophets of God, from Adam to Muhammad, including Abraham, Moses and Jesus (peace be upon them all).​

According to the Islamic creed, the original religion taught by all these prophets is and was always Islam, which is the peaceful submission to the One and Only God. Thus, the concept of sin as taught by all prophets of God ought to be the same.​

The closeness between Judaism and Islam in this regard is obvious; but in Christianity we find a great difference, which results from the influence of Saul of Tarsus, who is later known as St Paul. Paul introduced into Christianity the ideas of ‘God becoming man’ and ‘God dying for the sins of man’. Such concepts are entirely alien to the Semitic religious tradition and considered ‘pagan’, according to the Islamic view.​

In Islam, a sin is an act against the will of Allah. We have the ability to abide by His will and this is the meaning of the word Islam. Still we have the ability to ignore His will or deliberately oppose it; due to the fact that God has given us freedom - though within limits).​

Islam is our conscious and peaceful submission to the will of Allah. The purpose of our existence as human beings is to worship and serve Allah – or to fulfill His will. And, a solid foundation of worshipping Allah is to show gratitude to Him for the great gifts He has granted us. Following this will bring us the greatest benefits in this life and the next. It is in trying to do this that our intentions are purified and it is by our intentions that we are judged.​

In contrast to the Christian teaching that human nature is basically evil [owing to the Original Sin], Islam teaches that it is essentially good. There are many elements to Human nature and each one has the potential to bring benefits. So there is no "Original Sin" in Islam. It is that when Man contradicts God’s commandments or His will, he commits sins.​

Adam committed such a sin, which led to his expulsion from the Garden of Eden. But Adam repented and prayed to God for forgiveness, which God granted him, as mentioned in the following in Surah 2, verse 37:​

*{Then learnt Adam from his Lord words of inspiration, and his Lord turned towards him; for He is Oft-returning, Most Merciful.}*

This means that unlike Christianity, which teaches that all the children of Adam are sinful for Adam’s sin, Islam teaches that all humans are innocent by birth and they become sinful only when they consciously commit a sin. Islam regards the concept of “original sin” and the need for atonement by God Himself - via dying on the Cross - as a pure invention of those who came after Jesus Christ, declaring themselves as Christians.

Another important point to bear in mind about the Islamic concept of sin is that one man’s sin cannot be transferred to another; nor can the reward due to a person be transferred either. Every individual is responsible only for his or her actions, for God is never unjust. This is made clear in the following in Surah 17, verse 15:

*{Who receiveth guidance, receiveth it for his own benefit: who goeth astray doth so to his own loss. No bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another: nor would We punish until We had sent a messenger [to give warning].}*

Every individual is an independent person who is responsible for his or her actions alone. There is no need for salvation from sin, for there is no original burden. One's success in the Hereafter lies in his living a righteous life in this world. Each has to build his/her own Heaven, avoiding the misery of Hell. Faith is important, but faith alone without deeds will be fruitless.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
What is sin?

Not loving your neighbor.

Are all people sinners?

Yes, as no one loves perfectly.

Do People become sinners when they sin or do they sin because they are sinners?

Yes.

What is God's Penalty for sin, if any?

God is love. You can not be with God if you can't love.

The more we sin, the less we are like God. This is punishment enough.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ribbon said:

1. What is Sin?
An act which you know God would not approve of.
Yes; it would be impossible to be perfect as a human.
That sounds like a chicken and egg question. However, Babies are born innocent, as soon as the learn anything, they become able sin.
None. As long as you know in your heart that you have sinned, are genuinely repentant, and try not to repeat the offence.
I don't believe so, but I have never thought of that.

And here are my answers...

1. I believe sin is anything we think, say, or do contrary to the character or law of God.

2. I believe all people are sinners.

3. I believe people sin because they're sinners. Since we were born after Adam and Eve, we inherited a sinful nature. Even before a baby sins, they are a sinner because they have been conceived and born into a fallen world and have already inherited a sinful nature.

4. I believe God's penalty for sin is death. (Spiritually and physically). Because we are fallen, our bodies age and die. And if we die physically before we accept and believe in Jesus as Savior and Son of God and His death and resurrection as payment for our sin, we will go to Hell and live our spiritual death and separation from God forever.

5. I believe when you sin, you are hurting God, yourself, and others. There is always a consequence. You may just not realize or see it at first.

What do you think/believe? :)
I hadn't seen your replies! IMO Death is not a punishment; it is a reward. Imagine the fact that you are being 'reborn' into a place where there can be no sin; that doesn't sound like a punishment to me.......;)

Actually, I think you are right there; I like that.
</IMG>

lunamoth

Will to love
NetDoc said:
What is sin?

Not loving your neighbor.

Are all people sinners?

Yes, as no one loves perfectly.

Do People become sinners when they sin or do they sin because they are sinners?

Yes.

What is God's Penalty for sin, if any?

God is love. You can not be with God if you can't love.

The more we sin, the less we are like God. This is punishment enough.
Simply said, but that's the heart of it. Good job NetDoc!

luna

uumckk16

Ribbon said:
1. What is Sin?
Doing something that harms someone else, or for purely selfish reasons, thereby defying what your heart and conscience tell you is what God wants. Or 'missing the mark' as others have said, to put it briefly :)

Ribbon said:
Nobody's perfect. I don't really like that label though. It seems to exclude the possibility of repentence.

Ribbon said:
They become sinners. I believe we're born sin-free, though I do think we have inherent tendencies to both good and evil. We'll all sin during our lifetimes; it's up to us whether we repent.

Ribbon said:
I really have no idea. I guess I believe, though, that the penalty is separation from God...it's not a penalty imposed by God, it's a penalty we impose on ourselves. But I have faith that eventually all will repent (not necessarily in this lifetime - in fact, definitely not in this lifetime) and be able to join again with God. How soon that happens is up to us.

Ribbon said:
Not divine penalties, other than distancing ourselves from God (this would seem to automatically 'condemn' atheists, but I don't believe it does - I believe atheists can be just as close to God as any theist, or even closer, as long as they listen to their heart/conscience). But there is the penalty of a guilty conscience. And also the societal punishments we impose on others - i.e., jail for murder. I think most sins will come back to haunt us one way or another.

Ribbon

michel said:
I hadn't seen your replies! IMO Death is not a punishment; it is a reward. Imagine the fact that you are being 'reborn' into a place where there can be no sin; that doesn't sound like a punishment to me.......;)

Death IS punishment if you go to Hell. And you will go to Hell if you don't know the Lord before you die physically, as I already said.

Ribbon~

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ribbon said:
Even before a baby sins, they are a sinner because they have been concieved and born into a fallen world and have already inherited a sinful nature.
So how do you believe God will punish a baby who dies before he can willfully comit a sin? Do you believe that baby will be separated from God forever because Adam sinned?

I don't think I'm going to answer your questions right now since I have a feeling I would probably end up resorting to sarcasm. I don't want to do that. After all, you're still a newbie and we've got to treat you gently, at least for awhile. :D