• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

?

A Vestigial Mote

Well, one or the other is ignorant of the truth, aren't they? One or the other is very possibly deluded.

If the person who is a Christian is "correct" then the non-Christian is ignorant or deluded. If the person who is a non-Christian is correct, then the Christian is ignorant or deluded.

So, the difference boils down to ignorance/delusion in EITHER case. Isn't that fun?

Neuropteron

What is the difference between a Christian and a non-Christian?

A christian believes in Jesus Christ, a non christian doesn't.

However, According to Jesus words in Matthew 7:21 there are also those that "claim" to be christian but are rejected by Christ.

So it seems clear that it is the "doing" of God's will that is primordial factor in being accepted by Christ as one of his followers.

Matt 7:21 "Not everyone saying to me, Lord, Lord will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father....Many will say we prophesied and performed many powerful works in your name... yet I will say to them I never knew you. Get away from me...

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
IThere is a lot I don't understand, but I understand being alone. I understand that well. You will probably not be a very good Christian by yourself. You need other people and a shared commitment to the principles, and you need people that work with you. You need what is called an 'Equal yoke' situation; and I don't mean marriage though that can be in a marriage. I mean you need other people who will encourage you, who will annoy you, who you can help. Have you ever built a fire using small tinder like small twigs? You're like a little bit of tinder, and you're trying to make a big fire all by yourself. Its just not how things work.

There is wisdom in your words here Brick. You cannot be a Christian in isolation.....we need other Christians to act as a support system for one another. Encouragement is what we all need, and I heard it once described as..."discouragement" means that someone, or something, has knocked the courage out of you....fellow Christians can "encourage" one another by putting the courage back into a depressed soul.

Paul's words at Hebrews 10-24-25...
"And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, 25 not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you see the day drawing near."

This admonition was to stay in place until "the day" of judgment comes, as Jesus said....
Matthew 24:14...
"And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."

All the nations on earth must receive this "witness" before the "end" can come. Who are preaching the Kingdom message in every nation on earth? It was a command from Jesus to preach and make disciples. (Matthew 28:19-20) It is the commission given to every Christian.

The end of this present age is approaching rapidly, according to my understanding of scripture, so its more urgent than ever to preach this "good news".....it's like a light shining in a dark place, guiding right-hearted people to the 'new world' where God's will can "be done, on earth as it is in heaven."
The 'coming' of the Kingdom will mean a new era of peace in this world, and the end of all wickedness......who doesn't want that? But it will never come from man.....:(

I agree. Christians are a government to themselves. This gets confusing when they seize 'Temporal' authority, and then you get dirty politics involved with Christianity.

When we see the example of Jesus and his apostles and the admonition to be "no part of the world", (John 18:36; John 15:18-21) it's not hard to see that a marriage of religion and politics is a recipe for division and hatreds. Christians were to avoid becoming "friends with the world" because it is ruled by God's enemy. (James 4:4; 1 John 5:19) If we are patriots before we are Christians then the emotional pull of patriotism can make us disobey the commands of Jesus. He said we must "love our enemies and pray" for them, not go to war and kill them .(Matthew 5:44-45)
A Christian can love their homeland, but not sacrifice lives to the god of war. Christians cannot shed blood.

Again I don't think that is how you should approach this and don't think its really the Christian approach. What is worth believing? Believe that. Make something good happen. Its like declaring what you want to happen and then making it happen. Absolutely you should not believe things that you don't think are true, but you should believe in what you are working towards: Do you believe world peace is a good thing? Then you should believe its going to happen and be part of the effort to bring it about.

The old saying is..."Charity begins at home".....I believe that peace begins there too. If we can make our own inner circle a haven of peace and include others in it...it can spread from there to become wider until there is an international movement. Jehovah's Witnesses have achieved this and I don't believe that there are many who can demonstrate that their love for their spiritual brothers goes much further than their own local congregations. The divisions in Christendom keep people segregated, but true Christianity was a genuine uniting in a bond of love and peace. (1 Corinthians 1:10)

Mark 16 also indicates that they finished this task. Finish the chapter. These people did go everywhere and did preach the gospel using these signs. As and aside if you ask me these signs are not meant to be literal, but that is not even at issue here. These preachers finished says Mark, so you are not required to walk on snakes or drink poison. I really hope you don't try walking on serpents or drinking poison, because you'll be harmed. If you think about it what really is accomplished by these empty actions? "Wee I'm drinking poison yay for me?"

Mark 16 finishes in verse 8, according to most translations. The remaining verses are not considered to be part of inspired scripture. There is therefore no picking up snakes or drinking poison as demonstrated by certain sects in Christendom, many of whom have died as a result.

As Jesus said when he was tempted by the devil.... “It is said, ‘You must not put Jehovah your God to the test.’” He was quoting Deuteronomy 6:16 (1 Corinthians 10:9) So if you do stupid stuff, be prepared for stupid things to result. :rolleyes: The is is not the age of miracles....it is the age of knowledge.

You should not be trying to believe things that you think are untrue, nor should you feel guilty for not believing things unless you think they are worth believing. Find your level of faith.

This is so important because belief is something that is not just in the brain, but is deep in the heart. People will not give their lives for something they don't truly believe in.....the Christian martyrs went to their deaths because they could not be swayed from their faith...this is how strong our faith must be. ...its not something we can order by the truckload....you have to build your faith one brick at a time, until it becomes an impenetrable wall. (you know about bricks.;))

Peace to you.....

Rational Agnostic

In my experience, a Christian is someone who has received Christian baptism and/or accepts Christ as their savior.

A non-Christian is someone who hasn't and/or doesn't.

By this definition, then, "Christians" and "non-Christians" are not mutually exclusive groups which does not make sense. To see, think of it this way. Let:

B = The person has been baptized
C = The person has accepted Christ

You claim that (B or C) being true makes a person a Christian. But in that case not (B or C), that is, the negation of being a Christian, would be not B AND not C, rather than not B or not C.

syo

What is the difference between a Christian and a non-Christian?
Christians love their enemies and pray for their enemies to see the light. A non-Christian hates their enemies and want them dead or something.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Christians love their enemies and pray for their enemies to see the light. A non-Christian hates their enemies and want them dead or something.
Man, non-Christians must be blood-thirsty maniacs.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Non-Christians fight their enemies, but, Christianity is the only religion that has martyrs
I'm not really sure what this means. Islam has martyrs. Judaism has martyrs. I'm sure other religions have, too.
And on the other side of the aisle, Christians have had their own holy wars, such as the Crusades.

whirlingmerc

A Christian is someone who is being reconciled to God through Messiah.
A Christian is someone who knows Jesus relationally.
A Christian loves God.

A Christian is someone who God will never turn from doing good in the new covenant

In a sense all the world stands condemned explained Jesus in John 3:16-18
A Christian has been pardoned AND adopted as a child of God
A Christian is united with Christ, died with Chirist and will be raised with him

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
so I guess this is another thing I'm trying to figure out are all these things just words or is there anything worth believing?

Well, it might serve you well to believe that if you jump from a building, you'll get hurt.

I'ld say that those things that are worth believing, have independently verifiable evidence in support of them.

Like how you're very likely to get hurt of killed if you jump from a building.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, one or the other is ignorant of the truth, aren't they? One or the other is very possibly deluded.

If the person who is a Christian is "correct" then the non-Christian is ignorant or deluded. If the person who is a non-Christian is correct, then the Christian is ignorant or deluded.

So, the difference boils down to ignorance/delusion in EITHER case. Isn't that fun?
As with most dychotomies, this one does not translate very accurately with real facts.

For all the insistence of some, Christianity is not supposed to be unreasonable and irrational.

A Vestigial Mote

As with most dychotomies, this one does not translate very accurately with real facts.

For all the insistence of some, Christianity is not supposed to be unreasonable and irrational.
Seems like an accurate representation of reality to me. And its base is the (very) true dichotomy:

A person is either a Christian or a non-Christian.

After that, we have the issue of which side is "correct" or which side's views more accurately correlate with reality. Is it the person who believes in the doctrine of Christianity who is more correct? Or is it the person who disbelieves it who is more correct? For the believer to be correct, Christian doctrine needs to be true, God needs to exist, etc. For the nonbeliever to be correct, Christian doctrine would need to be false, or at least majorly incorrect, or God doesn't exist, etc. And if the Christian is correct, and therefore all of Christian doctrine is correct and God exists (again, etc. here) then it is the nonbeliever who is ignorant of the facts, deluded, or suffering some other malady of incorrectness. However, if the non-Christian is more correct, and therefore much of Christian doctrine is incorrect, wrong, or God does not exist (again etc.) then it is the believer who is ignorant of the facts or deluded, etc.

So my point was only that, regardless which side is correct, SOMEONE in the equation is ignorant of some facts/truths, etc. or has deluded themselves not to accept them (not that I am even saying they are known, or even possible to be known!) So the difference can be said to be that one side is ignorant of facts/truths that the other side is correct on (whether or not they even know they are correct). I don't see the problem with this.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Seems like an accurate representation of reality to me. And its base is the (very) true dichotomy:

A person is either a Christian or a non-Christian.

Maybe my experience is not representative, but I sure feel that to be far too symplistic.

At the very least, we should acknowledge that there are many (millions of) people who have grown used to expectations, concepts and language influenced or even created by Christianity and end up conforming to those to some degree, often in loose or no connection to actual matters of belief or faith.

That is actually a complex field, worth of a lot of study.

After that, we have the issue of which side is "correct" or which side's views more accurately correlate with reality.

At this point I sincerely don't know what you are talking about.

syo

I'm not really sure what this means. Islam has martyrs. Judaism has martyrs. I'm sure other religions have, too.
And on the other side of the aisle, Christians have had their own holy wars, such as the Crusades.
I didn't know about other religions.

Skwim

Veteran Member

A Christian is anyone who claims to be one.

A non-Christian is anyone who claims not to be one.

CHRISTIAN  NON CHRISTIAN.png