• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Election Predictions

Trey of Diamonds

Ok, the election's over and while I'm sure there's still lots to discuss concerning current events I would like to take a moment to peer into the future. After 4 more years of Obama what do you think will happen? Easy victory for the Republicans? A more moderate Republican party? A continuation of Moderate Democrat rule? A drifting to the far left by the Dems? Who do you want to see run?

On the Democratic side I'd like to see Elizabeth Warren run.
On the Republican side I'd like to see Colin Powell run.

Now that would be a hard choice for a moderate independent like me. :D

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I think the Republicans are losing their base. As the younger generations are voting, most of them are more progressive and liberal minded, so the Republican party will probably see a split in the near future. We've already seen the start of that with the Tea Party, but it's going to go much further. There's been too much extremism in the Republican party, alienating it's moderate constituents and politicians. I think this win by Obama, and taking the senate, will help strengthen the Democratic party. But something else I see happening: I think third parties are going to get more airtime and more attention in the next election. I don't think it's going to be too much longer before we see third parties as viable options in major elections. Eventually, the Republican party will dissipate, as we see more and more people turning progressive, moderate, and liberal. Eventually, I see American politics more mirroring that of European politics, as it moves away from extreme conservatism. But, I guess I'm just a dreamer.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I think the Republicans are losing their base. As the younger generations are voting, most of them are more progressive and liberal minded, so the Republican party will probably see a split in the near future.

Apparently it is the women being liberal minded and the men have some catching up to do since they mostly voted for Romney.

xkatz

I think the Republicans need to move away from it's current neocon, cultural traditionalist platform and towards a more libertarian (ie Ron Paul) stance if they wish to succeed long-term. I think that way it could attract a lot of independents and socially liberal people. It's already beginning to happen, but I don't think we'll see the party really embrace this ideology for a while (it will be a gradual shift). As for the Dems I think they're ideologically where they want to be right now, although they could always take a more centrist direction I guess. The only problem I can really forsee for them is that I don't really see anyone (except Hilary Clinton) who would be a good candidate in 2016.

In my ideal election I would see the following,

On the Republican side, Rand Paul
On the Democratic side, Hilary Clinton

However, it's obviously too early to tell who will run in 2016, and TBH I see Paul Ryan as the most likely GOP candidate.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If the Republicans know what is good for them, there will be a major split and two new parties forming from them, hopefully one of them serious and level headed Conservatives that have purged the idiocy, bigotry, and the anti-science attitude, and more resembled their party from 100 years ago.

Apparently it is the women being liberal minded and the men have some catching up to do since they mostly voted for Romney.
I think the split in the voting habits of men and women in America is a reflection of our societies view on gender. Men are more likely to be against homosexuality, women are more likely to be concerned about the welfare of those outside the immediate family, men usually have a stronger sense of group identity, women are often more empathetic, and men, traditionally being the breadwinner, are more likely to adhere to an unrealistic expectation of hard work and the results it brings, where women, from birth, are more likely to experience the reality that hard work simply is not always what matters.
There is also that Liberals and Conservatives tend to be more male dominated.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
On the Republican side, Rand Paul
On the Democratic side, Hilary Clinton

However, it's obviously too early to tell who will run in 2016, and TBH I see Paul Ryan as the most likely GOP candidate.
I think that scenario would be a crushing defeat for the Reps, simply because Paul looks young enough to be Hilary's kid. It would also be another easy way for the Dems to harness the women's vote again. The only way the Reps can hope to stand a chance against Hilary would be to put another woman against her because Hilary for president may be enough to spawn another wave of Feminism, especially because women played such a role in this election. But the Republicans have a record of putting women who are absolutely nuts in the spot light.
But I do think Hilary looks like a good candidate in 2016.

xkatz

I think that scenario would be a crushing defeat for the Reps, simply because Paul looks young enough to be Hilary's kid. It would also be another easy way for the Dems to harness the women's vote again. The only way the Reps can hope to stand a chance against Hilary would be to put another woman against her because Hilary for president may be enough to spawn another wave of Feminism, especially because women played such a role in this election. But the Republicans have a record of putting women who are absolutely nuts in the spot light.
But I do think Hilary looks like a good candidate in 2016.

Rand certainly isn't perfect, but I think it would be a good match-up because it would be a small government conservative-libertarian vs a moderate-liberal progressive. I think someone like Rand would have potential b/c he offers something different than Mitt and most other GOP'ers, that I think could have a lot more appeal.

And I think putting a woman on the GOP for the sake of getting the female vote won't really work (that and as you mentioned most women candidates in the GOP are currently a bit nutty :p )

Last edited:

no-body

I don't know about Democrats but I'm guessing the Republicans will run a Jeb Bush/Marco Rubio ticket since they seem to think Latinos where a big reason why they lost.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I think we'll have to wait to see the fallout (at least on the Republican side) from the election before anything meaning can be said.

If nothing else, this election should have shown the GOP just how badly it relates to many segments of the population; their constituency is basically older white males, and that is a demographic that is quickly being displaced. Like others, I really hope they'll jettison the homophobic and bigoted, and court the level-headed and rational. They do have solid points, and a lot of people identify with their mantra of fiscal conservatism and personal responsibility.

The field is wide open with regards to the Democrats. Hilary has repeatedly said she's done with politics, and Biden isn't exactly a rising star. If Hilary doesn't run, then their best bet will probably to start a grooming a charismatic and effective governor (but if anyone suggests Bev Purdue, shoot 'em). Senators becoming president, while obviously possible, isn't the rule; most people want executive experience in their presidential candidates.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Hillary has pretty firmly said she won't run (which saddens me :sad4:).

As for Colin Powell on the GOP ticket (as someone mentioned), that might be an instance in which I'd consider voting red depending on who was headlining the Democrat ticket (please, please let it not be Biden...)

Of course, I used to say the same thing about John McCain before he went all wacko extreme rightist in order to get nominated. I would have maybe cast a vote for the old McCain. Hell I might have voted for the old Romney in another election. It's when they lost their freaking marbles and shifted 9,999,999,999,999 light years to the right that they became so repugnant.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Hillary has pretty firmly said she won't run (which saddens me :sad4:).

As for Colin Powell on the GOP ticket (as someone mentioned), that might be an instance in which I'd consider voting red depending on who was headlining the Democrat ticket (please, please let it not be Biden...)

Of course, I used to say the same thing about John McCain before he went all wacko extreme rightist in order to get nominated. I would have maybe cast a vote for the old McCain. Hell I might have voted for the old Romney in another election. It's when they lost their freaking marbles and shifted 9,999,999,999,999 light years to the right that they became so repugnant.

I think this election showed what direction the Republicans are heading, which, unfortunately, is to the extreme. They've gone all conspiracy theorist, and live in a world far from reality. I, as well, thought the old McCain wasn't a bad option, but he's few and far between as far as Republicans go. This goes all the way back to Reagan, who began the extremism in the Republican party.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Ok, the election's over and while I'm sure there's still lots to discuss concerning current events I would like to take a moment to peer into the future. After 4 more years of Obama what do you think will happen? Easy victory for the Republicans? A more moderate Republican party? A continuation of Moderate Democrat rule? A drifting to the far left by the Dems? Who do you want to see run?

On the Democratic side I'd like to see Elizabeth Warren run.
On the Republican side I'd like to see Colin Powell run.

Now that would be a hard choice for a moderate independent like me. :D

The Black Panthers will replace the National Guard and Obama will delcare himself king and abolish elections. :p

On a more serious note, I think Republicans in power are going to shift a lot more over to the center between now and 2016. If people vote then like they voted yesterday, they're not going to be a contender. This country has shown it's hungry for a more Moderate government at it's helm.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Did you live under a rock during his campaign?

No I didn't.

The candidate's personal life is their PERSONAL life... If a candidate believed whites to be superior, personally, but couldn't enforce it into presidential actions at all, why should we not like them? It's the same mindset as saying Atheism is bad because of what Stalin did not for atheistic reasons.

Dingbat

No I didn't.

The candidate's personal life is their PERSONAL life... If a candidate believed whites to be superior, personally, but couldn't enforce it into presidential actions at all, why should we not like them? It's the same mindset as saying Atheism is bad because of what Stalin did not for atheistic reasons.

Sexual assault is being equated to personal beliefs? Ok then.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Sexual assault is being equated to personal beliefs? Ok then.

Personal life and personal beliefs are being equated actually...

I suppose, for the sake of this, what does sexual assault have in affect of america?