• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

13 Blessings

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Well I had this in the General debate but that did not go over so well. So, I am trying it here.

So one of my favorite video games is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. In the Shivering Isles expansion you meet and work for a man named Lord Sheogorath. He is the Prince of Madness. In a book found in-game there is the 13 Blessings of Sheogorath. What do you guys think of them? I found them pretty interesting.

[FONT=&quot]For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting.

Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge.

Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm.

Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear.

Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs.

Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque.

Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm.

Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real.

Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul.

Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming.

Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies.

Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be.

Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger.

Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.
[/FONT]

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I actually like just about everything from the Elder Scrolls series. I just wish Oblivion had an option to turn off the quest markers on the compass. I like a compass, I just don't like being shown exactly where to go.

But personally, I really don't like the list, especially the addicts, murderous, paranoid, sleepless, obsessive, and phobics. Some of these just are not good (murderous) and some of them usually require medical intervention/treatment (addicts, obsessiveness), and some are just not healthy (sleeplessness) Not sure how this relates to the LHP either, since the Daedric cults involve the worship of whatever Daedra lord the follower chooses to follow.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I actually like just about everything from the Elder Scrolls series. I just wish Oblivion had an option to turn off the quest markers on the compass. I like a compass, I just don't like being shown exactly where to go.

But personally, I really don't like the list, especially the addicts, murderous, paranoid, sleepless, obsessive, and phobics. Some of these just are not good (murderous) and some of them usually require medical intervention/treatment (addicts, obsessiveness), and some are just not healthy (sleeplessness) Not sure how this relates to the LHP either, since the Daedric cults involve the worship of whatever Daedra lord the follower chooses to follow.

Hmmm.. I disagree that this does not relate to LHP, but alas I cannot argue my point here.

I concur with SW. Many things about that list seem rather contrary to the LHP, and those that are not are just beside the point. Why is this posted here?

Love the elder scrolls games, though :)

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
*sigh* Sorry I was just seeing if anyone here would find it meaningful in anyway. I have been told LHP is usually about going against the taboos of society in order to better oneself. So I figured it would be appreciated here. I guess not. I wasn't saying this was LHP I just thought some people might find it interesting.

If a mod could please delete this thread please that would be great.

Sireal

Setian
*sigh* Sorry I was just seeing if anyone here would find it meaningful in anyway. I have been told LHP is usually about going against the taboos of society in order to better oneself. So I figured it would be appreciated here. I guess not. I wasn't saying this was LHP I just thought some people might find it interesting.

Herr Heinrich

It is appreciated! you are teaching someone here? It is always somewhat interesting when things like this show up on lists dedicated to the lhp. However, the LHP is not simply about going against the grain...much more exists behind the veil than that. Why go beyond convention? Why break your own sacred Vows? why tread where angels fear? why anything at all ?? answer these for yourself and you will have set foot on this path! expect answers to seeking you choose not to do or inserting platitudes that have No meaning here and you will learn the lessons of the desert very well. A friendly heads up. Be Well~ Become Vast!

blackout

Violet.
From a Figurative standpoint,
I like the list.
It gives me that "dislodged" feeling. :areyoucra :D
(which is a necessary element in magick)

PurposeFully twisting one's mundane perspective on a thing
can be very powerful in dislodging one's 'set in stone' reality.
(assemblage point... paradigm... etc)

However....the KEY word here is Purpose(fully).

Without PURPOSE, and fully grounded in'tent,
a thing like this list
if taken literally ...
could leave a person stuck in a very bad place.

Figure'ative language and symbolisms
are SO important to Personal Paradigm Shifts/Xeper/Magical TransForm'ations.
To Form/TransForm/Figure/ReFigure... from straight out of Psyche's Depths...
is a fine art, that if gone wrong, can leave you truly crazy...
in a state of confused form.
You must know What you are working to form.
You must know WHY you are stepping into that form.
What you are figuring must FIT what you are fashioning.
You must know what YOU mean, by a thing.
You must hear it speak in a deeper place.

Paranoia, Addiction, Phobia, Murder, Obsession...
are not blessings in any literal sense of the word.

They only serve to destroy the Self.

This would be completely contrary to the 'goal' of the LHP.
Taken as a literal dose,
these things serve to become the very death
of the one path that is your Own to forge.

Last edited:

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad it received some constructive feedback. I totally agree with you UV that this list should not be taken literally. I just thought the concept behind it was interesting. I also agree that this list is definitely good at making a person rethink their reality some if they actually stop to consider what is being said.

Also I have to misplaced the edit buttons so...

DON'T DELETE THIS THREAD!!