• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Reasons to Call for a Minimum Wage of More than $10.10

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you have a problem with the Federal Government protecting your gun rights?
If I may jump in....
In a constitutional republic, some things are federal & some are reserved for the states.
The fed lacks clear constitutional authority to regulate wages.
But the right to bear arms is an explicit fed constitutional right.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Quick question, would you turn down the opportunity to become one of "1%-ers"?

I wonder what that question is supposed to mean. I truly do.

What is such an opportunity like? How can you tell that someone is turning it down?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's starting to look like the 'minimum wage' is becoming another reason for slackers to depend on the government.

By "slackers" I assume you mean the working poor. Please get back to us with your smug, high-horse, moralistic interpretation of them when you yourself are working two or more jobs to make ends meet.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
If I may jump in....
In a constitutional republic, some things are federal & some are reserved for the states.

Well the states don't have any dedicated laws that they have. They are free to regulate whatever laws they wish so long as it doesn't conflict with existing federal laws. The US has final say over any state no matter how much the state may not like it.

And the gun laws are still constitutional. "Within a well regulated militia" seems pretty obvious as to what that actually grants us. However the ruling of the Supreme Court during that time thought otherwise. Most likely due to their personal political bias. If the Supreme court tomorrow read the first amendment as "But only if talking like a robot" that would be the law of the land.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well the states don't have any dedicated laws that they have. They are free to regulate whatever laws they wish so long as it doesn't conflict with existing federal laws. The US has final say over any state no matter how much the state may not like it.
No argument here.

And the gun laws are still constitutional.
This is something debatable.
The USSC upholds some while striking down others.

"Within a well regulated militia" seems pretty obvious as to what that actually grants us.
This quote isn't what the 2nd Amendment actually says.

However the ruling of the Supreme Court during that time thought otherwise. Most likely due to their personal political bias. If the Supreme court tomorrow read the first amendment as "But only if talking like a robot" that would be the law of the land.
They have issued mischievous rulings before (eg, Petty Offense Doctrine, Kelo v New London).
I'd expect this ruling to be even more vigorously challenged.

Last edited:

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
This is something debatable.
The USSC upholds some while striking down others.
Agreed. But all of the ones we have now and proposed in the last year have not been.
This quote isn't what the 2nd Amendment actually says.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The common argument is that it should be self regulated. However it never states that it is a personal investment of gun ownership. At least that is how I read it. And if not then why do we have any gun regulations at all? Doesn't matter if they are mentally ill or convicted or the gun is illegal. Shouldn't matter if that right cannot be infringed upon.

Or it means only under the umbrella of a well regulated militia.

But I am pro 2nd amendment btw.
They have issued mischievous rulings before (eg, Petty Offense Doctrine, Kelo v New London).
I'd expect this ruling to be even more vigorously challenged.
We can whine about it a lot but we really can't do anything. The constitution would have to be altered but if its purely political in nature then it doesn't really matter what we change. But this is an extreme example and other than a huge outcry from the public there isn't a lot to do. The checks and balances allow the president the ability to appoint new ones and congress can change the constitution.

Jeremy Mason

If I may jump in....

First, I have no problem with the 2nd Amendment. My point is that, it is equally important for the Federal Government to enforce minimum wage limits as they currently do, plus a more substantial increase to what is currently being proposed. $10.00 a hour is a start, so let work on that if you believe in being a civil society.

PS. My great ancestor was George Mason.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
First, I have no problem with the 2nd Amendment. My point is that, it is equally important for the Federal Government to enforce minimum wage limits as they currently do, plus a more substantial increase to what is currently being proposed. $10.00 a hour is a start, so let work on that if you believe in being a civil society.

He believes that the feds lack the constitutional authority to regulate wages. Since that is the case then the question is...does he believe in the current concept of the minimum wage or should we abolish it. Many on the right believe there shouldn't even be a minimum wage. While many on the right don't believe in such a thing they're reluctant to draft a bill to abolish it considering such a move is unpopular with Americans. Most importantly..such a move is unpopular with voters in their party. The concept of the minimum wage is highly popular with people on the left, right, center and independents...

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Of course it should be raised. My mom works full-time at Macy's and makes barely over $10 an hour. She's been working there for years, decades really. We don't have enough money to survive on. My mother is in her 60s and I'm surprised all this constant stress and fear of being homeless hasn't given her a heart attack yet. We live in a crappy, bed bug-infested dump in a neighborhood full of third-world immigrants that don't speak English and disrespect us, and we still can't get by. We're on food stamps and that's barely enough to get food for one week. I've recently gotten heath insurance due to the Medicaid expansion after years of not having any health care but we're still waiting to hear back from them to see if my mom has been approved or not. We're American citizens, born and raised and this is how we're treated. Meanwhile, rich, privileged people and immigrants get all sorts of benefits but we get nothing.

So, yes - they need to raise the damn minimum wage. They need to actually do something for the people they're supposed to represent. Otherwise, we need to have a revolution and steal it back from the *******.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Of course it should be raised. My mom works full-time at Macy's and makes barely over $10 an hour. She's been working there for years, decades really. We don't have enough money to survive on. My mother is in her 60s and I'm surprised all this constant stress and fear of being homeless hasn't given her a heart attack yet. We live in a crappy, bed bug-infested dump in a neighborhood full of third-world immigrants that don't speak English and disrespect us, and we still can't get by. We're on food stamps and that's barely enough to get food for one week. I've recently gotten heath insurance due to the Medicaid expansion after years of not having any health care but we're still waiting to hear back from them to see if my mom has been approved or not. We're American citizens, born and raised and this is how we're treated. Meanwhile, rich, privileged people and immigrants get all sorts of benefits but we get nothing.

So, yes - they need to raise the damn minimum wage. They need to actually do something for the people they're supposed to represent. Otherwise, we need to have a revolution and steal it back from the *******.

Welcome to America! We're a proud, advanced society that takes care of our own. Oh...wait...the proud, advanced societies that took care of their own...those were the tribes we massacred and displaced.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Welcome to America! We're a proud, advanced society that takes care of our own. Oh...wait...the proud, advanced societies that took care of their own...those were the tribes we massacred and displaced.

Lol. Yup. America is just an idea. It's not real and it never has been.

Jeremy Mason

He believes that the feds lack the constitutional authority to regulate wages. Since that is the case then the question is...does he believe in the current concept of the minimum wage or should we abolish it. Many on the right believe there shouldn't even be a minimum wage. While many on the right don't believe in such a thing they're reluctant to draft a bill to abolish it considering such a move is unpopular with Americans. Most importantly..such a move is unpopular with voters in their party. The concept of the minimum wage is highly popular with people on the left, right, center and independents...

Yes, but as I stated, the Fed currently operates on current federal laws:

Minimum wage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this color of law issue?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Washington was a Freemason and ironically loyal to the queen of England, as were so many other signers of the Declaration of Independence.

I know about the Freemasonry. Freemasons were a big part of the French and American Revolutions and basically formed this country. I don't know anything about Washington liking the king of England, though.

What I was saying is that the idea of America being "land of the free and home of the brave" and a nation of liberty and prosperity is mostly an illusion. It's just propaganda and hasn't ever really existed. America's a great place to live if you're rich, work on Wall Street, Capitol Hill or the DoD or are the CEO of a corporation because then you run things and everyone else doesn't matter at all.

Jeremy Mason

I know about the Freemasonry. Freemasons were a big part of the French and American Revolutions and basically formed this country. I don't know anything about Washington liking the king of England, though.

What I was saying is that the idea of America being "land of the free and home of the brave" and a nation of liberty and prosperity is mostly an illusion. It's just propaganda and hasn't ever really existed. America's a great place to live if you're rich, work on Wall Street, Capitol Hill or the DoD or are the CEO of a corporation because then you run things and everyone else doesn't matter at all.

:clap:clap:clap It's just a theory my friend and others share, but the English Empire and some 200+ ships and the USA had three. I know they were fighting the French and the Spanish at the time but we had really no chance in fighting them. This, imo, was just another routine to ruse another nation into servitude. Hey, it worked for South Africa. Give them the appearance of freedom while keeping the statuesque.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
:clap:clap:clap It's just a theory my friend and others share, but the English Empire and some 200+ ships and the USA had three. I know they were fighting the French and the Spanish at the time but we had really no chance in fighting them. This, imo, was just another routine to ruse another nation into servitude. Hey, it worked for South Africa. Give them the appearance of freedom while keeping the statuesque.

Could be. I can see how that would be. America is really just the British Empire v2.0 with rule by wealthy white people as our form of monarchy. It's like what you said about South Africa. The African continent is still mostly a puppet of Western powers that are raping it for its natural resources and keeping its people in chains. It's run by a bunch of gangsters and warlords that only care about the money in their personal bank accounts. Every time a real leader tries to change things and actually help their people, such as Thomas Sankara of Burkina Faso, they're killed and the country is given back to the pigs. But the false opposition such as Mandela and Mugabe are allowed to do whatever they want and are even internationally lauded. Yeah, Mandela did so much for the South African people, even though that country is still a ******** and extremely corrupted. :facepalm:

Sorry, I'm getting off-topic with my ramblings.